PBR booster needed
  • Register
  • Help

Default PBR booster needed

Hi all. I am a few months away from finally doing the disc brake conversion to my 404 ute. I have located some 5 stud hubs from a 504 ute that will allow me to keep my wheels and bolt on 504 discs. I now need to find a booster and I've been told a PBR VH44 will work well under the floor. Does anyone have one of these laying around or know where to get one for a reasable fee? Also, does anyone have a set of 604 discs laying around? I may as well go all out!

Advertisement
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Default Power Booster

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    Hi all. I am a few months away from finally doing the disc brake conversion to my 404 ute. I have located some 5 stud hubs from a 504 ute that will allow me to keep my wheels and bolt on 504 discs. I now need to find a booster and I've been told a PBR VH44 will work well under the floor. Does anyone have one of these laying around or know where to get one for a reasable fee? Also, does anyone have a set of 604 discs laying around? I may as well go all out!

If you have a pick-a-part or other car wreckers available then the booster off a
    Austin 1800 (land crab) is almost identical to the VH 44 I believe.

If the BMC booster is local then it might be a PBR. The UK one was, from memory, that ugly Girling thing which costs a small fortune to reco.

At swap meets, 44s are less common than 40s. I am told by one source that the 44 kit has been discontinued and you now need to use a 40 kit. Pay from $20 and up for a rebuildable booster of either type. If nobody else comes good, sure I can point you at one.

My VH40 rebuild was $209 with new cylinder at Marion Brake and Clutch in Sydney but I believe others have got away for much less. DIY is pretty feasible if you have patience, a good drill/driver and sparky's pliers (long, long nose).

Wherever it's installed, you will need access to bleed it. Plus the air filter doesn't take that well to road dust so it needs ducting upwards. Hope this helps a little.

Oh, and one last thought. In an older commercial vehicle, an adjustable proportioning valve is a nice touch for safer braking. Wilwood sell one with a screw to wind in/out, and also there is another model with a little clicky lever that sits in six possible (fixed) settings.

Cheers, Adam.

Thread Information