WTB/WTD: Roof racks for 504
  • Register
  • Help

Default WTB/WTD: Roof racks for 504

Hey hey. I guess the title of the thread speaks for itself.

I'm not too sure about roof racks, but do they come in the variety that don't pull the paint off the roof? Must accomodate a double bass - 60kgs.

Bestest regards, Steve.

Advertisement
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

60kg? Wow, some double bass. I've never played one that heavy, even my 3/4 in a hard case wouldn't have topped 30kg. Got a full size one in a bulletproof steel case eh?

For reference, my 3/4 fit in both 504s and 505s, with the front seat laying all the way back, peg to the floor, bridge up, go in neck first through the passenger door.

If you must use a roof rack, there are many aftermarket ones avaliable that will clamp to your roof gutters. If you really don't want to damage the gutter, get an old piece of car tyre inner tube, cut it to shape and fit it between the rack and the gutter. Presto. I glued the rubber to the roof rack, so it was always there.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Lol, yeah... well it would be a heavy sucker wouldn't it!! I usually wouldn't put my double bass on the roof, but it would be a handy option if it came to the crunch (and then hopefully it wouldn't crunch). I'd say mine's about 30-35kgs as well, but when it comes to your double bass on the roof of your trolley, it's better to claim 60 kgs than 15kgs!

Perhaps I should claim that it weighs 294 Newtons. Heck, it's been like 5 years since I've talked physics. I guess there'll be moments when the double bass gets heavier, and moments when it gets lighter!

I didn't know whether the DB would fit into the 504 because it "feels" smaller inside, but my dad said, "they're the same car, son... have a look underneath". Bloody dads. Who'd be one?
    '96 306 xtdt

Just do it the safe way. Put it in the car, seatbelt on if neccessary. If you're friends need a ride to the next gig, tell them to catch a cab. Or trade up to a 504 wagon. I wish I had my wagon back when I was playing bass!! You could carry the whole band, all their instruments and amps and stuff, whereas in the sedan it was you, the bass and one person (who still complained because I had the seat all the way back).

Ahh, the good old days.
    Scotty

I guess I can still chuck the bass case up on the roof anyway, while the bass is in the car. There has to be at least 200 litres of storage in that thing . At least my suit wouldn't get crumpled!
    '96 306 xtdt

Icon7

Wouldn't an electric bass be better? I mean they're smaller and lighter and easier to handle.

Just trying to help.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

If I don't play double bass, what else do I have going for me? I mean, how else am I supposed to pick up?

Demannu, do you find it's much of a drawcard?

Honestly, bass guitar doesn't swing like a double bass does. It just feels right. I learnt double bass before I even touched a bass guitar. Playing bass guitar (for me) would be like driving a Barina.
    '96 306 xtdt

Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    If I don't play double bass, what else do I have going for me? I mean, how else am I supposed to pick up?

Demannu, do you find it's much of a drawcard?

Honestly, bass guitar doesn't swing like a double bass does. It just feels right. I learnt double bass before I even touched a bass guitar. Playing bass guitar (for me) would be like driving a Barina.
    The sound that an electric bass produces has no warmth, no fullness to it that a double bass does. Their sound is painfully electronic, and when you're playing it, you feel more like a data entry wench rather than a musician.

Anything that an electric bass can do, a double bass can do better, and so much more.

And a double bass feels and looks at home in virtually any genre band. I took up the electric bass as an "in" to a rock band, but within weeks I had convinced them all of the power of the double bass, and I was exclusively playing DB again, the way it should be. I have played in string quartets, concert bands, big bands, dixieland jazz bands, rock bands, pop bands, symphony orchestras, and just about everything in between.

I think most people realise that anybody can play electric bass with 2 weeks lessons, but to truly master a double bass is a heck of a lot of work. A good bass player will draw kudos from the whole crowd (a couple of "energetic" solos here and there helps too), so I've no doubt that it helps pick up

Unfortunately, it's been about 5 years since I've even picked up a bass. I would love to get back into it, but I'd have to buy a bass AND find time to play it. Plus my girlfriend for some reason thinks that I don't need to pick up?
    Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Wouldn't an electric bass be better? I mean they're smaller and lighter and easier to handle.

Just trying to help.

Matt.
    You're a goose.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Default What's with the bass and diesel connection?

What's with the bass and diesel connection? Do you both drive diesel pugs because you play bass or do you play bass because you drive diesel pugs?

As if I don't have enough to do, now I have to learn how to play bass!!!
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Default It's that deep rumbling sensation at 41Hz.

Yep, I think that just about said it all. Low end power.

There's something contradictory about the amplification of the low end rumble from yo' bass and the efficiency of thy diesel go putt putt.

(My new GLD is officially a head turner! About 20 Vauxhall enthusiasts watched little pug reverse park beside a 1930's hearse. Actually, they were probably ready to pounce when I crashed into it! Anyway, who needs insurance?)
    '96 306 xtdt

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    As if I don't have enough to do, now I have to learn how to play bass!!!
    It's alright, you drive a diesel - you've already done the hard part!
    '96 306 xtdt

Default 504 wiper blades

Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    It's alright, you drive a diesel - you've already done the hard part!
    Hello rasteve,

I am also after a set of roof racks for my 504. If you find a solution to the problem let me know. By the way, not for a double bass, but a wave ski.

As for the wiper blades try this ebaymotors link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

they are black and I believe the originals are all silver, or chrome, but mine arent chrome anymore. i am after a set myself and have requested shipping costs, as they are located in Dayton, Ohio; but have not received a response. although at US$13, i doubt that the total cost with shipping would be more than AU$30.

cheers armatolo,
    "...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."
    - Donald Rumsfeld

Quote Originally Posted by armatolo
    Hello rasteve,

I am also after a set of roof racks for my 504. If you find a solution to the problem let me know. By the way, not for a double bass, but a wave ski.

As for the wiper blades try this ebaymotors link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

they are black and I believe the originals are all silver, or chrome, but mine arent chrome anymore. i am after a set myself and have requested shipping costs, as they are located in Dayton, Ohio; but have not received a response. although at US$13, i doubt that the total cost with shipping would be more than AU$30.

cheers armatolo,
    I think I got the windscreen wipers figured. My dad got sick of buying genuine Pug wiper blades at TRX prices and so he built his own out of old Ford and Holden parts to take common blades for the 505 (that's what he told me last night anyway ). I'll edit this post when I'm sure what the parts were.

As for the roof racks, I think that I'll just buy a slightly oversize set of Rola, Thule or whatever racks which have removable ends and cut them to fit. Unfortunately I don't have a Landcruiser, Pajero or Vectra which everything seems built to fit, but when I find something good and serviceable, I'll be sure to let you know.

Perhaps when I have nothing on the roof racks of the 504, I could sell the space for an advertisement? I just had a drunken thought... (woops, I typed it and then deleted it. If you want to know... PM me).

As for the wave ski, have you got a tow bar?

Stavros.
    '96 306 xtdt

have towbar but no trailer.
    "...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."
    - Donald Rumsfeld

Quote Originally Posted by armatolo
    have towbar but no trailer.
    The wave ski is the trailer
    '96 306 xtdt

Thread Information