404 parts wanted...
  • Register
  • Help

Default 404 parts wanted...

Hi all! I am in the process of restoring my 404 ute here in Tassie and thought I'd ask everyone in cawse they held on to any of the following for a project that never materialised:
    [passenger side guard
    two good matching doors(hopefully with good interior panels as well)
    and a very good or rebuilt BA7/4 transmission with extension housing for a 404. I am converting the ute to a diesel and tossed the 5spd idea around but I'm in Tassie and don't drive long distances and would prefer to keep it stock looking so I'd settle for a good 4spd box. I've got the input shaft and bellhousing but my gearbox has seen better days and I'd rather not have to rebuild it when someone might have a good one hiding in their garage.
    If no one has a transmission or ext housing, does anyone know who is really good at rebuilding either?

Advertisement

Can pick up in Tassie and Victoria. Thanks!
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    Hi all! I am in the process of restoring my 404 ute here in Tassie and thought I'd ask everyone in cawse they held on to any of the following for a project that never materialised:
    [passenger side guard
    and a very good or rebuilt BA7/4 transmission with extension housing for a 404. I am converting the ute to a diesel and tossed the 5spd idea around but I'm in Tassie and don't drive long distances and would prefer to keep it stock looking so I'd settle for a good 4spd box. I've got the input shaft and bellhousing but my gearbox has seen better days and I'd rather not have to rebuild it when someone might have a good one hiding in their garage.
    If no one has a transmission or ext housing, does anyone know who is really good at rebuilding either?

I can fix you up with doors (1968 sedan trim) and passenger side guard.
    Also the extension housing.
    I have a few gearboxes that work but aren't 100% which you can have for free. I'm in Melbourne
    Graham

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

passenger side guard

just one guard

be sure to see what is already on the ute as a few over the years have had the commercial guards replaced with sedan guards

if it still has it's original commercial guards on it and you acquire a sedan guard it will have 2 different guards on it and you will be forever looking at it knowing they are different from each other
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default 404 guards...

Holy cow rambo, thats the first I've heard that there is a difference! What difference is there? Is anything else different? Doors, bonnet? You've got me scared now. Cheers!
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Holy cow rambo, thats the first I've heard that there is a difference! What difference is there? Is anything else different? Doors, bonnet? You've got me scared now. Cheers!

doors are teh same but the interior trim on them is different

window winders are also different and the sedan is a quicker winder than the commercial winder

the guards have a higher wheel arch on the commercial ones compared to the sedan ones

commercial bieng wagon and ute but not familiale as they have sedan guards

bonnets are the same except for pretty bits

you can fit sedan guards to your ute but if you fit one you need to fit both sides otherwise the difference will stand out like the preverbial
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default commercial guards

All right, who out there has a passenger commercial guard available. I am going to talk to BigH, maybe he has one from a wagon. Cheers for the help Rambo!

"Who cares what is original": if you are going the " concourse" trail, then OK go for it but if you want a practical unit, then its " as you like it"!
    Same goes with chrome headlight rings....................
    Door trims are very plain on the original with no arm rests or padding as in the sedan.
    The bench seat is hard and boring on long trips so sedan seats either 404 or 504 are a nice option.
    The engine is a whole new world from the original underpowered 1600 through to ......................................even a V6.
    The same with gearboxes from floor changes to 5 speed to auto ( if you are inclined)
    Playing with the diff ratios and tyre sizes is an exercise in itself.

I have an original dealers own ute ( or whats still remaining from a few years in the paddock) which is good for referencing. I posted the pics some time ago to see if somebody wanted it for a project, alas no takers, so source through and you might finnd them..

Bon chance

Default 404 ute

Thanks for that phil, I know what you mean. I'm not averse to modifying a car if it is going to make a big difference and make it more enjoyable. In the case of this ute though, I am just looking to keep it as stock appearing as possible as I absolutely love it the way it is and it will only be used as a functional ute and a weekend driver. I am lucky enough to live in Tassie where even if I drive it to work, it is a liesurely 15 minute drive down a windy paved road to Launceston where the only traffic I can anticipate in the morning would be a tractor.

I remember seeing the pics of your ute. It's a shame it has disintegrated like that. Thanks for the opinion!

VIP Sponsor

[passenger side guard

I have the doors at home now, trims are red 1968 sedan.
    I can organise a rebuilt rear housing.
    Graham

Default 404 doors...

Hey Graham, good news about the extension housing. Tell me more! Bugger about the doors though (red) that'll stand out like the preverbial. Anyone have a set of good black or brown door trims to go with my brown seated 404 ute? I haven't redone the seat yet, I could always have it recovered in Red to match!

Any news on the 205's? I think we are pretty keen on getting one now so let me know. Cheers! Dan.

Tadpole

Default Ba7/4

Dont know whether this works as i'm new to sending info to fellow froggers. last time it failed. probably will this time. but if this reaches you Tassie, i've got a rebuilt BA7/4 , rebuilt by head of Qantas engineering in OZ. Bought his 404 for my daughter. mainshafts etc all originally fine. Bearings (not really needed)& seals replaced: Shimmed etc. He reckons its good as new-nice bloke & competent, so if you want to parley ring me in sydney on 0411 248 415. I reckon $200 should be good for us both- but you pay postage. Also have bell housing to suit, but no idea what its worth. Like your idea of originalityfor local runs. Happy to help.

Tadpole

Default Ba7/4

Dont know whether this works as i'm new to sending info to fellow froggers. last time it failed. probably will this time. but if this reaches you Tassie, i've got a rebuilt BA7/4 , rebuilt by head of Qantas engineering in OZ. Bought his 404 for my daughter. mainshafts etc all originally fine. Bearings (not really needed)& seals replaced: Shimmed etc. He reckons its good as new-nice bloke & competent, so if you want to parley ring me in sydney on 0411 248 415. I reckon $200 should be good for us both- but you pay postage. Also have bell housing to suit, but no idea what its worth. Like your idea of originalityfor local runs. Happy to help.

Tadpole

Default Ba7/4

Ta for reply DUY. Am just emerging from steam age, so taking time to get used to this way of commuinicating. Had a look at trannie under garage.Bell housing/extension housing both attached. No evident lateral play on input shafts. Assume they,re rebushed. Good luck with project - (I may retire to Tas & resume driving my old Massey-Ferguson 148. Bout the right pace for there,I'd say?) LB

Default Tassie

Come on down, it's a great place to live. Where else can you drive a 404 ute at 80kph to work everyday. Cheers!

Thread Information