WTD - Harmonic Balancer (or info) 504GLD 1980
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 WTD - Harmonic Balancer (or info) 504GLD 1980

Hey All

We recently had some work done on our 504 GLD (see this post) at French Car Care in Brissie. (They did a great job, btw).

When we picked up the car, they let us know that our Harmonic Balancer needed to be replaced.

We've done some digging around, and have had some trouble trying to find one that's in any kind of reasonable condition.

So, can anyone help us to do one or some of the following (remembering that we're after a Harmonic Balancer for a 1980 504 GLD):

- Find a new harmonic balancer (that doesn't cost more than the car's worth)

- Find a reconditioned harmonic balancer (my personal preference)

- Find a previously-loved one that's in good condition (or a car being wrecked with one on)

- Find someone who reconditions harmonic balancers (who has the appropriate mould - French's don't have one)

- Make any other useful suggestion to solve this problem

I know how much you guys love a treasure hunt ... so it's over to you!

Advertisement

Our thanks in advance!

- - Sheldon & Rob

Tadpole

Default Harmonic balancer info.

Have been searching for threads with harmonic balancer info and came across yours. I cant see any replies which is perplexing. at $150 plus there must be someone out there with info on harmonic balancers reco'd. Also i woulod like to know how u get them off the car !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brick
    Have been searching for threads with harmonic balancer info and came across yours. I cant see any replies which is perplexing. at $150 plus there must be someone out there with info on harmonic balancers reco'd. Also i woulod like to know how u get them off the car !!!!
    Contact Davaid Cavanagh at French Connection in Melbourne.
    David is a member of Aussiefrogs, so if you look him up on the members list, you can possibly drop him a PM or ring and ask him anything you want to know.
    I mention him because I know he has supplied reconditioned harmonic balancers in the past for other vehicles and so has obviously got access to them.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default Harmonic Balancer

Hi Brick

Sorry for the delay posting back.

We eventually got ours from a wrecker in Towoomba who, believe it or not, had a new Peugeot original spare, in a box and everything. We paid dearly to acquire it ($550!!!) but I have to say it's probably the best thing we ever did (in spite of my initial reticence about the cost of the "metal donut-wheel thing").

The engine was much quieter, there was less vibration inside the car, a reduction in the squeaks and rattles generally and as a bonus a significant improvement in performance and fuel economy.

We had looked into the whole "remade, reconditioned" thing to be told that the mould that was being used by the reconditioner in Australia had cracked and they had no plans to replace it. I don't know how true that is, but we were unable to locate a reconditioned one in this country - hence the purchase of the "new" one.

My other half is the mechanic of the family, and you can contact him on 0428 144 711. His name is Rob. He suggests calling him about removal and refitting because it's "difficult to explain in an e mail ..."

The Towoomba fella had other, previously loved balancers so if you're having trouble finding one, we'll try and dig out his details!

Thread Information