Shocks for 4CV WANTED
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Shocks for 4CV WANTED

I'm restoring a 4Cv and need telescopic shock absorbers. Can you advise where to buy? An old Monroe-Wylie catalogue listed them as 110-294 (front)and 110-295 (rear). An email to Monroe help got an expected response ........."we don't have a listing for that car"
    Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

It may be possible to match up something with them...

If you have the originals, we'd need to know the dimensions (fully open and fully closed), the mounting details and whether or not there are any restrictions in the fitment (tight spaces etc).

May also be worth trying French Connection at Airport West in Victoria, and Caravelle Imports in Box Hill in Victoria. You never know what surprises he may be able to find.

Well, if you run out of options, just give me the dimensions and we'll sort something out.

Tadpole

Thanks,
    I believe there is a Pedders shock that is pretty close to the front size. I will check Pedders here on Monday. Also looked at one for a Mini but they were about an inch longer than mine. The numbering on the shocks I took off are unclear.

Measurements are from th ecentre of the loop hole to the top shoulder of the stem.

Front:
    Fitting: top stem, bottom loop
    Compressed 215mm (8.5 inch)
    Extended 325mm (12.75 inch)
    Markings: "Monroe" made under licence by WH Wylie & Co, South Aust.
    Has the figure 5.58 which I assume to be the date (which would definitely ?post date the car which was built Dec 53 by my reckoning)
    Also has (hard to read) 110-177

Rear:
    Fitting: top stem, bottom loop
    Compressed 200mm (7.875 inch)
    Extended 300mm (11.75 inch)
    Markings: Armstrong Australia,
    Also has (hard to read) A17 1131 Date 4 66

I've been trying to access the Monroe website but having difficulties, I think they have a problem. Their current catalogue held by Repco etc does not list any of these numbers in their superseded listing. Additionally, the listing based on sizes is very incomplete as it does not list the Mini sizes etc. The 1-800 number for Monroe won't allow access to a human, it just follows a pre-recording that take you to Repco etc as agents.

By the way, none of this is urgent. I will be a long time repairing rust and doing panel work. Cost is more of an issue than time.
    Regards

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    May also be worth trying French Connection at Airport West in Victoria, and Caravelle Imports in Box Hill in Victoria. You never know what surprises he may be able to find.
    Hi, Phoned Steve at FrenchConnection today. I will talk to him further next week or so.

Sorry I didn't make things clear enough...

When measuring open and closed lengths, you need to measure from the centre of the eye, if an eye, and the base of the stem if it's a stem.

Also, we'd need to know if the eye contains a captive sleeve... and what dimension that sleeve is.

If Pedders have something close for the front, it would probably be from a Torana or Cortina, or maybe an HQ-on Holden... the valving might be a bit heavy for the 4CV. Those are the only ones I can think of (without hurting my brain...) that are so short and of that configuration. Maybe Datsun 1200... but I'm not sure of its length. That would be a prospect if it was short enough.

Anyway, get back to us with the confirmation of the measurments and the eye detail.

Tadpole

Hi again,
    Bottom mount is a rubber mounted sleeve. I assume that is what you refer to as a captive sleeve.
    Measurements on the loop end are:

Front:
    Diameter - 29 or 33mm (2 differenet shocks were on the car, the 29mm matches the rear)
    Thickness of sleeve - 21mm
    Diam of sleeve - 9mm

Rear:
    Diameter - 29
    Thickness of sleeve - 21mm
    Diam of sleeve - 9mm

other measurements in earlier message.
    Thanks again

Just to confirm, that's centre of the eye to the base of the stem? Not to the centre of the stem...

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Just to confirm, that's centre of the eye to the base of the stem? Not to the centre of the stem...

Correct...........the base of the stem.

Dimensions have been sent away with a 'non-urgent but please don't forget' message.

That's to give you time to save up...

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Dimensions have been sent away with a 'non-urgent but please don't forget' message.

That's to give you time to save up...

Hi ray,
    Located shocks for a Lada that are a close enough match and have purchased them, about half the price of the Pedders which were probably not suited anyway. I think these will be ok. Thanks for all your help. No doubt I'll be chasing more stuff later.
    thanks, Colum

Which Lada, and what end do they fit on the 4CV?

I used HQ Holden fronts on the rear of mine (R10 rear crossmember) and Fiat Bambino fronts on the front, but the body length is a little too long on the fronts, and the shock has to be very carefully positioned as it will scrape on its' body as it is fatter.

I would still like to fix this, although the Konis could be shortened, and maybe this would give more clearance.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

For about $150 each, they were actually looking at making Ikons to fit...

These are the Koni motorcycle shocks made under licence... but with valving the same as Koni originally made for the 4CV (or a close facsimile if they never made one...).

These have skinnier bodies and would clear nicely, and they would probably ultimately be the best things for the job. But maybe a bit dear.

HQ and LH Torana fronts are nice and short... they might have done, but you have to be careful not to let them bottom out.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    Which Lada, and what end do they fit on the 4CV?

I used HQ Holden fronts on the rear of mine (R10 rear crossmember) and Fiat Bambino fronts on the front, but the body length is a little too long on the fronts, and the shock has to be very carefully positioned as it will scrape on its' body as it is fatter.

I would still like to fix this, although the Konis could be shortened, and maybe this would give more clearance.
    Can't remember which Lada but there is only 1 listed I think in the current Monroe catalogue. Monroe part number is 15-0548 and they match the front fairly well. The eye on the lower mount is 10mm. My rear shocks are in fair to good condition so I will reuse them.
    regards

Thread Information