Looking for some BX parts
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Looking for some BX parts

Hi to all !

I'm from Germany, and I did not know that there's such a huge amount of CitroŽn (Peugeot/Renault) enthusiasts over there in Australia !
    I'm looking for some BX spare parts that should be quite normal in Australia but hard or even impossible to find in Germany.
    The first thing I'm looking for is a passenger's sun visor for a BX without sunroof in dark gray. As far as I know, australian cars are right-hand-driven, so the left sun visor should have a mirror, right ?
    The other thing I'm looking for is an original third stop light. As far as I know, that one was only fitted in Australia (see below).
    Perhaps anyone could ship these (small) parts to "old Europe" ???

BX-Basis (aka Hendrik)

Advertisement
    Last edited by BX-Basis; 6th November 2004 at 05:30 AM. Reason: forgot the image...

Tadpole

Icon5

Really no one who can help me ?

I think the reasons you may not have had too many responses were that we have a problem out here with the sun; it's hot, it's full of UV and BXs are full of plastic. Not a good mix. As a result most ploastic parts turn to dust on any car left in the sun for a short period of time.
    The third stoplight you refer to on my cars has broken & been fixed a few times due to the plastic getting brittle and my cars spend most of their time in garages, under cover so imagine what outdoor cars go like.
    As regards other bits, I think our postage charges would make anything of this size and weight unviable cost wise. Yestrday I posted a couple of CDs away to a friend who is close enough to receive them today and postage cost alone without the container was around = to 2.50 Euro so I would expect the cost of posting the parts you need even if they were available would be more than the new items would cost.
    As there aren't all that many BXs in Australia, I'd suggest trying Andre Pol in the Netherlands as that's where some of us get parts occasionally and he seems to carry a large stock.

http://www.citroen-andre.com/

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default rear stop light

aaahh so that's what's missing from my BX...wondered what the mounting plate was for!!!
    Talking of sun and plastic...went over a small bump yesterday and the vent for airdemisting just cracked!!!! must have been quite brittle and ready to go
    oh well..that's the start of the whole dash going to pieces!!!!

Andrew,

I'm surprised it's still in one piece.
    I heard of one being fitted to one of my cars prior to my purchase. The guy was a Cit mechanic & was trying to make the car "as new" for his wife. After fitting, she wanted to go to town to go shopping and when she returned she asked which part he'd replaced. He went to show her & there were already 2 cracks in it.
    He had an upholsterer make a piece of matting the same size + a bit, complete with slots in it & glued it over the trim and to my knowledge it's still there to this day; there's your answer.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 23rd December 2004 at 10:10 AM. Reason: phat flinjers

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy
    aaahh so that's what's missing from my BX...wondered what the mounting plate was for!!!
    Talking of sun and plastic...went over a small bump yesterday and the vent for airdemisting just cracked!!!! must have been quite brittle and ready to go
    oh well..that's the start of the whole dash going to pieces!!!!
    You naughty, naughty boy, you promised to love, honour and obey

It's not all bad Andrew, as Alan says there wouldn't be too many cars if any without a crack on this part in Aus. The good news is that it is the only cracked plastic on my car and as Alan's experience mine has a dash mat covering it now and it's getting no worse. If you're kind to the rest of the dash, ie park out of the sun, use a windscreen sunshade (I know I hate them too) keep a good level of plasic/vinyl protection (I've heard good ol' baby oil is as good as some of the brand name products) your car should be good for a good while yet

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

TIP OF THE WEEK!!

If you know anyone who attends the Skin Institute, they used to provide a suncream (long before the days of commercially made ones) that was supposedly 100% shield against UV rays. It was supplied to anyone wanting a sun blocking agent and was especially available for anyone with suncancers, in particular malignent ones.
    I used some on the dash of my Mazda work van that sat in the sun constantly for about 15 years and was almost new when I bought it & to the day I sold it, I never had a crack nor a dull spot on the dash or any internal plastic. Best part was, it wasn't scented, wasn't greasy and seemed to "rub in" to the vinyl it was top stuff.
    Problem using some oils, is that they will actually intensify the rays which is why the surfers of the 70s (the ones with the sun cancers now) used to rub themselves all over with the oils before venturing down the beach for a spot of instant cooking.

Alan S

Default til death do us part

like most marriages...it takes a while to see the warts!!....not that I want a divorce ....just means some renegotiation of our relationship....
    looks like a dash mat is in order....and it only had a small crack!!
    Pick up the BX today..the Aircon has had the hose replaced and regassed and this morning it gets it's 100,000 km service!!! can't wait
    cheers!!

Wait 'till you feel that air/con.
    Just one thing though; make sure you keep the fresh air vent closed or if it's anything like up here, you'll ice your coil over within a couple of minutes and lose all the temperature.

Alan S

Default aaaarrrrggghhh my head

with my head the way it is I need the aircon....too many beers!!!
    Thanks for the tip Alan...my manual is very strange in that the instructions for operating the aircon do not make sense....or maybe it's me!!!
    Cheers

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BX-Basis
    Really no one who can help me ?
    My TRI has neither a sun visor with a mirror or a third stoplight.
    The dash is perfect though, a bit of a waste as it will only be used as a competition car!
    Graham

Tadpole

Oh what a difference between Germany and Australia ! Your BX plastic parts are destroyed by the sun and my wife even hates me for planning the installation of an AirCo in my BX ! In fact the front seat heaters are more important at the moment than an AirCo ! BTW: I think there's no need to ask someone in this forum for a front seat heater switch ? Perhaps someone of you knows danish or swedish BX owners that could help me with a switch, because one is still missing (that one for the passenger's seat heater !) and the switch is no longer sold by CitroŽn !
    If someone has either the mounting plate and/or the stop light for sale, please let me know the costs for the parts and for shipping. If I order those two parts over here, I'd have to pay about 130 EUROS (in fact, I don't think that these parts are still available !). Perhaps someone even has a passenger's sun visor for a right-hand-driven BX without sin roof (left side with mirror) ? The stop light was only mounted in Australian BXes, so I don't have the chance to get one over here in Europe !

BX-Basis

Hendrik,

Try here:

http://citroenz.com/forum/index.php

or here:

http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/default.asp

as both of these boards are much closer to home for you and include owners from Europe more so on them to this board.
    You're more than welcome here, but the fact is we don't have all that many BXs here, those in wrecking yards are few & far between and of those, most would be just a pile of dust inside by now and the wreckers out here aren't obliging enough to send bits overseas.
    On the above boards, there are quite a few from Denmark, UK and norther Europe and I'll be surprised if none there cn help.

All the best for Christmas to everyone over your side,

Alan S

Hendrik,

You could possibly also try to contact Ron G who posts on the Citroen Club forum. He has a wrecking 16v that has had a shunt up the rear. I can't quite recall, but I'm pretty sure the brake light is still intact.

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/forum/

Ken W made a new window brake light for his Tzi using those nice bright LEDs.
    Should be able to grab the parts you need from any electronics store for not too much.

Dave

Tadpole

Installing some kind of third stop light would be no problem, but my brother either wants the original part or none ! I can understand this. I'm looking for an original front seat heater switch, although I could easily install a normal switch instead. But how does that look like ???

BX-Basis

Thread Information