Enough is Enough: PRV Bellhousing and Flywheels
  • Register
  • Help

Default Enough is Enough: PRV Bellhousing and Flywheels

i'm 3-4 weeks away from ripping into the conversion 100% and still am at a loss with the bellhousing/fly issue. do we have any updates on the blue mountains people, and the auto bellhousing conversion?

if no luck with the auto, could someone please pass on the contact info for the people who cast the bellhousings, and the flywheels, ill be the pioneer if no one else is up for it.

i just ordered my megasquirt, so im hoping that itll all go together nicely.

Advertisement

as for gearbox, it will probably be a supra box, i think that will save me trouble in the long run.

thanks everyone!
    Janek

The work common to the fitting of the BA10/5 from a GR and the fitting of a Supra box is:

1. obtain flywheel

2. obtain suitable clutch (for Supra there are many Toyota clutches with right spline and plate size)

3. make adaptor to go between 604 auto bellhousing or Volvo 264 auto bellhousing and the gearbox

4. adapt clutch fork to the bellhousing/adaptor and make bracket to fit slave cylinder.

5. fit 504 clutch master cylinder and pedal, replace brake pedal with 504 manual brake pedal

The additional work required to fit a Supra box is:

1. shorten tail shaft and make up spline to suit Supra box, get welded to tailshaft and have it all balanced.

2. shorten link/torque tube

3. remake tunnel cover and revise holes in tunnel to suit Supra gearchange

4. adapt console for different gearlever position

Additional work if using BA10/5 from 505GR:

1. have clutch plate made up using 504 centre

So... from there you can see that it's much harder to fit the Supra box, the only advantage being that you don't have to get a clutch plate made.

Janek,
    I dont know what it is going to cost you to get all that done if you go the supra box and custom bellhousing. As you know from PRV FLYWHEELS i have here a BA10/5 gearbox and bellhousing to suit the PRV V6. Includes bellhousing, BA10/5 (genuine V6 one, ie correct input shaft length and spigot bearing size.), and a clutch fork and thrust bearing. Yes the bell housing is LHD but is is possible to have it laser cut and welded to turn it into a RHD. I have seen it done. If its the price that worries you PM me an offer an we may be able to sort something out.
    Jay.

Ahh 'Peugeot', the drivers car! Why drive anything less!!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC, the left hand drive bellhousing (with the starter on the right... the only difference?) only creates a problem when there's power steering.

This being the case, that's not an issue... in fact, it probably makes it easier to change the starter in situ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    IIRC, the left hand drive bellhousing (with the starter on the right... the only difference?) only creates a problem when there's power steering.

This being the case, that's not an issue... in fact, it probably makes it easier to change the starter in situ...
    Exactly, Ray.

I put a LHD bellhousing in my 604 and kept the p/steer rack and shaft. Being a non p/steer car will make it easier to get it in.

The other thing you will have to do is run the wiring to the starter motor, which isnt a problem.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Janek
    i'm 3-4 weeks away from ripping into the conversion 100% and still am at a loss with the bellhousing/fly issue. do we have any updates on the blue mountains people, and the auto bellhousing conversion?

if no luck with the auto, could someone please pass on the contact info for the people who cast the bellhousings, and the flywheels, ill be the pioneer if no one else is up for it.

i just ordered my megasquirt, so im hoping that itll all go together nicely.

as for gearbox, it will probably be a supra box, i think that will save me trouble in the long run.

thanks everyone!
    Janek

I am in the process of putting new a driven plate in the 505 V6 that I have just got back.
    I am using a Falcon pressure plate and am waiting for the 604 driven plate on its way from the US.
    Whilst doing this I had a another go at fitting the V6 Volvo driven plate I have had for a while.. Yes, it fits the spline (Ba10/4) and the Falcon Pressure plate, unfortunately it hits the flywheel bolts. It would work with a Volvo flywheel.
    $80 if anyone is interested.
    Graham

the clutchpressure plate issue isnt really an issue... i have one on the way from france...

i have been considering the supra box simply because it is a much stronger box.

i wont be having power steering, so lhd/rhd isnt an issue

jay, have sent you a pm

cheers all

I don't think strength is an issue with the BA10/5...

It's made to use with the turbo diesel (bundles of torque) and the turbo petrol engine as well as the very V6 you are using.

And it's used in Jeeps... what more could you ask?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    I don't think strength is an issue with the BA10/5...

It's made to use with the turbo diesel (bundles of torque) and the turbo petrol engine as well as the very V6 you are using.

And it's used in Jeeps... what more could you ask?
    Except that it gives heaps of trouble in Jeeps and is a dirty word amongst Jeep owners in the US!
    Graham

Oh, yeah, another thing in the list of 'things to do to fit a Supra box'...

You have to get a piece of aluminium machined, welded onto the back of the box, then machined and drilled and tapped to take the torque/link tube.

i know full well that a supra conversion isnt (and cant be) easy... i will be turbo-ing the v6 as well, aiming for the tune of 170-200 rw kw

Thread Information