205 GTI Suspension parts wanted
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default 205 GTI Suspension parts wanted

I picked up Darrens' engine today, thanks Darren. The porting is the only thing I can see but it looks good.
    I am having last minute thoughts about which car it should go into, the SI is a much tidier unit with the S3 advantages and already has the BE3 (non crunchy!) gearbox with Quaife diff. and the quick power steering of course.
    I have a GTI front cross member, does anyone have GTI front struts, roll bar and rear torsion bars to convert my SI to GTI spec? Are the drive shafts the same for Series 1 GTI and SI?
    If I take this route I would store the GTI as a spare/investment, even rough cars will be worth money in years to come.
    Graham

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I picked up Darrens' engine today, thanks Darren. The porting is the only thing I can see but it looks good.
    I am having last minute thoughts about which car it should go into, the SI is a much tidier unit with the S3 advantages and already has the BE3 (non crunchy!) gearbox with Quaife diff. and the quick power steering of course.
    I have a GTI front cross member, does anyone have GTI front struts, roll bar and rear torsion bars to convert my SI to GTI spec? Are the drive shafts the same for Series 1 GTI and SI?
    If I take this route I would store the GTI as a spare/investment, even rough cars will be worth money in years to come.
    Graham
    I've got a low K rear torsion bar assembly from a Series 3 GTi, a few front control arms and a set of Bilstein front dampers if any of that helps. Rear bar is Geelong, rest of the bits in Sydney.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    I've got a low K rear torsion bar assembly from a Series 3 GTi, a few front control arms and a set of Bilstein front dampers if any of that helps. Rear bar is Geelong, rest of the bits in Sydney.

Looks like I will be usiing the SI, I have done a deal to swap the GTI for my old V6 505 rally car! Things have moved fast in the last hour or so.
    Matt, I'd be interested in the torsion bar assembly, Does that include trailing arms and how much would you want for it?
    I'd also be interested in the control arms, how much each for these?
    Does the GTI have a rear antiroll bar, I'm pretty sure the SI doesn't.
    Graham

how is the s3 torsion bar different to a s1?
    If there is a marked improvement then can I be second in line?
    I'm in geelong every second weekend so it'd be easy to get.
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    how is the s3 torsion bar different to a s1?
    If there is a marked improvement then can I be second in line?
    I'm in geelong every second weekend so it'd be easy to get.
    S3 has discs on the rear. not sure if anythig else is different. it will be newer than a s1

VIP Sponsor

Matt,
    Have you thought about how much you want for the rear suspension?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Matt,
    Have you thought about how much you want for the rear suspension?
    Graham
    Yeah Sorry Graham,

Yep it includes the trailing arms, I could probably even locate a set of Calipers if neccessary (not sure if you could fit drums to a late model rear end).

PM me with an offer, not sure what a wrecker would charge for one of these but I gurantee there won't be any available that have only done 30k's .
    Regards,
    Matt
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio

R the bilsteins heavy duty like on the dimma?
    Present: 406 petrol 2.0 turbo 97(GB Import), 205 gti 1.9 89, Yamaha TZR250 3xv 93 (Jap Import)

Past: 205 gti 1.6 1988 (Singpr Import), Citroen 1.9 BX16valve, 405 1.9 mi16, 405 2.0 mi16,
    205 si 93, Mini GT, Datsun SSS x3, Dodge Ram, kingswood, Yamaha TZR250 2ma x2

Hey mate...You've left your Barina's lights on

Hey Matt. I'm interested in the rear assembly if you've still got it. How much drama in fitting it to a s1?
    Series 1 205 Gti

Matt. No response to my pm?
    Series 1 205 Gti

Thread Information