• 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By alan moore
  • 1 Post By bob
  • 1 Post By Clio Cup
  • 1 Post By Clio Cup
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: WTD wheels to fit Renault Fuego

Default WTD wheels to fit Renault Fuego

Hi, Iím after some suitable wheels to fit a Fuego so I donít have to run TRX tyres.
    In Perth WA.
    Thanks

Advertisement

Now This I want to see, a Fuego in Perth !!!!!

I have been hoping that they all had not gone to God, and suddenly there is word of one, fantastic.

Ray
    Kenfuego, JohnW, renoamust and 1 others like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Hi, I’m after some suitable wheels to fit a Fuego so I don’t have to run TRX tyres.
    In Perth WA.
    Thanks
    I have a set of 4 after market wheels to fit a Fuego. You can then choose any tyre you like to fit. Have gutter rash on some but should be restorable by a good wheelman. You can have for $200 plus freight to Perth. PM me your email address and I will send photos.
    Hacksaw likes this.

Trying not to rain on Bazza's sale, I have done some study of wheels for a Fuego recently. Should be able to fit 195/50/15 tyres under a Fuego on these. Look a little old school with the polished rims. Fair bit of clearance under the rear, I believe they will under the front guards. Will find out soon. Centre rings available 73.1 to 60.1 for around $15 on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pcs-WEL...53.m2749.l2649
    Hacksaw likes this.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Trying not to rain on Bazza's sale, I have done some study of wheels for a Fuego recently. Should be able to fit 195/50/15 tyres under a Fuego on these. Look a little old school with the polished rims. Fair bit of clearance under the rear, I believe they will under the front guards. Will find out soon. Centre rings available 73.1 to 60.1 for around $15 on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pcs-WEL...53.m2749.l2649
    195/55/15 is the non metric size best suited to a Fuego on a 6 or 6.5 inch rim. best performance/size/comfort ratio
    205/50/15 will fit the car, but you want a wider 7 inch rim and then the offset starts playing a role and the car will slam a bit more over road irregularities.
    I had mixed offset rims on mine (against ADR rules)... maybe -39mm up front and -18 in the rear.
    Going for an ultra lightweight rim pays dividends on a fuego.

Jo

1000+ Posts

One can get the Bridgestone RE003 in 195/55. At the moment, they are on a "4 for the price of 3" deal. I'd go for it.
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Now This I want to see, a Fuego in Perth !!!!!

I have been hoping that they all had not gone to God, and suddenly there is word of one, fantastic.

Ray
    It looks like a very good one, what's more Ray.... I have made an inspection as it is ten minutes away! Amazing.
    Hacksaw likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Hi, I’m after some suitable wheels to fit a Fuego so I don’t have to run TRX tyres. In Perth WA. Thanks
    Ha, what an avatar!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan and all the others who have contributed are good, long term Renault folk so good advice has come immediately!!! Ring me to discuss if you wish.
    Hacksaw likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

The wheels arrived today, and I have fitted the Bridgestone Re003 in 195/50/15. I was a bit worried about the 195/55/15 running out of clearance on the encapsulated nut in the inner rear guard with the 7" wheels. I need to do some more work to the car before I fit them.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    The wheels arrived today, and I have fitted the Bridgestone Re003 in 195/50/15. I was a bit worried about the 195/55/15 running out of clearance on the encapsulated nut in the inner rear guard with the 7" wheels. I need to do some more work to the car before I fit them.
    If they are standard offset, it should be Ok.
    Seem to remember giving that nut cover a whack with a big hammer when running lesser offset wheels.
    Interestingly, From fading memory a 195/55/15 re003 is not 195 at all. More like 203mm wide.
    A little pedantic detail...The fuego runs an 88 load rating, and the 50 profile you have is way under.
    If you ever need to have an assessor scrutinise your car after an accident, it might be worth remembering this.

Jo

I see the original TRX tyres were an 88 load rating 560 Kg, where the tyres I just fitted are 82 rating 475Kg. Given the weight of the car is 1040Kg, and that 4 x 475 comes to 1900Kg, well outside the load capacity of the Fuego, I expect that it will be fine. The wheels I have are 15 x 7" with a 33mm offset. Some optional original 14 x 6 wheels were 36mm. The car has currently got 13 x 6.5 20 Offset wheels on it with 185/60/13 tyres, possibly better fitted to a Gemini. These fit the rear fine, and are getting out toward the edge of the guard on the front.

You are quite correct though, I have gone under the original rating by a fair degree and if the situation arose in an accident investigation, it could get a little sticky.
    Hacksaw likes this.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default real world experience....

G'day,

my Fuego is fitted with pre loved Scenic steelies and their trim. Rubber is Hancook Optimo K406 195/55/R15 85V.

This combination provides, handily, a rolling diameter that is within a bees dick of the original - useful for estimating speed and not getting pinged [estimating cos you have to allow for the brewers droop on the plastic speedo needle.... ] and, bonus, similar geometry to the original as well !

This wheel and rubber combination might not suit all, but certainly never gave me any cause to regret the choice....

BTW, the instrument people can provide appropriate aluminium needles. At least they could ten years ago...

cheers,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTD wheels to fit Renault Fuego-scenicsteelies2.jpg  
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 TRX and after market wheels and tyres on a Fuego.

I still run TRX on original wheels coz I like the original appearance and with everyone else going to after market wheels and nonmetric tyres, I have accumulated a stock of original TRX wheels and tyres with plenty of tread on them, and yes, they do harden up with age (just like me) but the 100,000 km you get out of each tyre is far better than the 45,000 or less out of new tyres.

Seems I keep getting offered TRX with tread that people have lying around or they had on the unused spare wheel and that is nice, just make sure they don't have wall cracks.

Sure you might have some older TRX deflate suddenly while driving but on the few times that has happened the car is very stable and tracks well on the flat tyre (front or back instant deflation) just have to watch the braking distances when the bitumen surfaces are littered with small pebbles.

But then I don't drive as fast or as hard as I once did, so readily adapt to aging..

Those original wheels are classic to the car. There used to be non metric same appearance rims that were available from New Zealand as many Fuego's were bought into that country with imperial sized original pattern rims and at one stage there was an active market for those rims to be refurbished and bought to Australia.

So you choose for your needs, I am happy to make do with the old hard TRX.

Ken

G'day all, thanks very much for all your help and guidance. I got the wheels off bazzamac, chucked on some boots and I'm very happy with the result. I've kept the original wheels too and will keep an eye out for any TRX tyres that turn up at an affordable price. I don't think you can beat the look of the original wheels.
    Happy new year!
    cheers.

Good result - inspected yesterday. Thanks Bazzamac!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I still run TRX on original wheels coz I like the original appearance and with everyone else going to after market wheels and nonmetric tyres, I have accumulated a stock of original TRX wheels and tyres with plenty of tread on them, and yes, they do harden up with age (just like me) but the 100,000 km you get out of each tyre is far better than the 45,000 or less out of new tyres.

Seems I keep getting offered TRX with tread that people have lying around or they had on the unused spare wheel and that is nice, just make sure they don't have wall cracks.

Sure you might have some older TRX deflate suddenly while driving but on the few times that has happened the car is very stable and tracks well on the flat tyre (front or back instant deflation) just have to watch the braking distances when the bitumen surfaces are littered with small pebbles.

But then I don't drive as fast or as hard as I once did, so readily adapt to aging..

Those original wheels are classic to the car. There used to be non metric same appearance rims that were available from New Zealand as many Fuego's were bought into that country with imperial sized original pattern rims and at one stage there was an active market for those rims to be refurbished and bought to Australia.

So you choose for your needs, I am happy to make do with the old hard TRX.

Ken
    Hi Ken,

I like to keep my cars as original as possible too. My Fuego also has the TRX tyres, although they are starting to get a little long in the tooth.

If you have quite a quantity building up with good rubber and sidewalls in your shed, then great, I know where to come when I need to replace

Cheers
    David
    Kenfuego likes this.
    01 Renaultsport Clio Cup 3/85 sold 07 Megane Expression 6 speed manual sedan ...beeeautiful sold 08 RenaultSport Clio 197...weehaaa sold
    05 RenaultSport Megane 225 wooshka" sold
    84 Fuego 5speed silver 1 previous elderly owner club car
    84 Renault 5TS 5 door white 3 owners 74 Renault 12 GL Avocado trophy winner
    73 Renault 16TS Automatic club car 64 Renault Caravelle gorgeous

1000+ Posts

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Clio Cup View Post
    Hi Ken,

I like to keep my cars as original as possible too. My Fuego also has the TRX tyres, although they are starting to get a little long in the tooth.

If you have quite a quantity building up with good rubber and sidewalls in your shed, then great, I know where to come when I need to replace

Cheers
    David
    yes, and I do have some new bits in boxes I marked "do not sell" as I want them for my own cars, but I have been known to part with things...

But one thing I have learned is that I must have over-paid for some choice Fuego bits I bought, as no one wants to pay those prices I did even after 20 years..

Haakon used to be a good Melbourne source for Fuego wheels and tyres he got from U pullit sites and sometimes freebies, too, so I do pay it forward when I can to help others out. but my good lady insists it is time I recouped some of the dollars I spent way back then....

Ken

yes, and I do have some new bits in boxes I marked "do not sell" as I want them for my own cars, but I have been known to part with things...

But one thing I have learned is that I must have over-paid for some choice Fuego bits I bought, as no one wants to pay those prices I did even after 20 years..

Haakon used to be a good Melbourne source for Fuego wheels and tyres he got from U pullit sites and sometimes freebies, too, so I do pay it forward when I can to help others out. but my good lady insists it is time I recouped some of the dollars I spent way back then....

Ken
    Hello Ken,

Yes of course, when you do part with items eventually, completely understand that you'll need to be paid mega dollars to part with them

Even though my Fuego, my 1st historic car, was a rust free, one owner and loved vehicle, and I'd want a million bucks for it if I ever did decide to sell, nobody would want to pay me a fair price.

Anyways, I'll be in touch down the track...

Cheers
    David
    Kenfuego likes this.
    01 Renaultsport Clio Cup 3/85 sold 07 Megane Expression 6 speed manual sedan ...beeeautiful sold 08 RenaultSport Clio 197...weehaaa sold
    05 RenaultSport Megane 225 wooshka" sold
    84 Fuego 5speed silver 1 previous elderly owner club car
    84 Renault 5TS 5 door white 3 owners 74 Renault 12 GL Avocado trophy winner
    73 Renault 16TS Automatic club car 64 Renault Caravelle gorgeous

Yes, no chance of great appreciation. People have no taste. Fuegos are so rare now, unfortunately. Great cars.

For you, the old adage applies I'm afraid: "My greatest fear is that after I die my wife will sell the car for what I told her I spent on it!" It's half funny, but only half...
    Shoji likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Yes, no chance of great appreciation. People have no taste. Fuegos are so rare now, unfortunately. Great cars.

For you, the old adage applies I'm afraid: "My greatest fear is that after I die my wife will sell the car for what I told her I spent on it!" It's half funny, but only half...
    Hah, no chance of that, my daughter has her Fuego in Tasmania and I am sure she will have first dibs on what happens to my cars and stash of treasures. The hard part will be getting her to throw anything out.. Now Skipton Bob might be persuaded to part with his if you hand him enough gold.

Ken

Hah, no chance of that, my daughter has her Fuego in Tasmania and I am sure she will have first dibs on what happens to my cars and stash of treasures. The hard part will be getting her to throw anything out.. Now Skipton Bob might be persuaded to part with his if you hand him enough gold.

Ken
    Very funny. Our daughter is the same. She's 43 and we've had the R8 longer than that. If we sell it, she will disinherit us.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information