• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By angru
  • 1 Post By Bustamif
  • 1 Post By bazzamac

Thread: Wtd R18 block

Fellow Frogger!

Default Wtd R18 block

Has anybody got a Renault 18 block they’re not doing much with? I’m possibly after one for a project. Prefer as a complete bottom end, or a bare block. I would consider a complete motor, or even, if I had to, possibly would take one with car still attatched.

Advertisement
    Shoji likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Nobody has a spare? Wish I hadn’t thrown a couple of them away 15 years ago now!

Fellow Frogger!

I believe they are 841/843 type blocks. I have tried here previously and found they are quite hard to find.
    angru likes this.

I got one from Tassie after finding my local wrecker threw all his out a few weeks before I came looking for one. Wish I'd grabbed them all when I'd first asked him about them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Type 841 was on the R18 sold here.
    The R18 wasn't a huge success for Renault Australia and there were bugger-all sold so there'd be few languishing in wreckers yards.
    (When was the last time you saw an R18 on the road or anywhere else?)

In Europe and some other places the R18/ Fuego soldiered on for quite a few years and the 841 morphed into the 843, A2M, A6M.

The US spec R12 has the same motor. Even though the R12 was a flop in the US you might have more luck the other side of the Pacific. But you might have sell your first-born to pay the freight to get it here though.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

What is special about those blocks?

Same shape as R16, but more magnesium I'm told, so stiffer. Think they came stock with the high volume oil pump too. Think the guy in Tassie I got one from has more. In the 6 years I've had my Alpine I've been on the watch for R18s, have seen maybe two for sale.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Don't know about the composition of the alloy, but no on the high volume pump.

The one block I stripped had the weirdest corrosion I have seen, pockmarks everywhere in the walls like the moon craters. Scrapped it.

One obvious difference to 807 series blocks is the tapered liner seat for o-ring seals instead of the paper ones used in 807. Which can be a problem if the seats are corroded, because you can't just cut the seat deeper and use a thicker seal like you can with the paper seals. Or you might be able to, but it's more difficult (you have to find a thicker o-ring, then you have to see if you can cut a taper that will take the seal without removing material to the point where the liner shoulder doesn't have where to sit. Fiddly machining.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

The O rings are not an issue and I prefer that sealing system over the paper gaskets. The big advantages with these 841/843 engines over an 807 is the mounting blocks on the timing chain end of the block, so you can put the R8/10 type engine crossmember on the end of the motor if you are putting a big motor in an R8/10, plus, they have the Crank pulley and water pump at the timing chain end, no extended R16 camshaft. You therefore don't have to cut holes in the firewall and find space for an alternator and water pump in the back parcel shelf if fitting to an R8/10.

Fellow Frogger!

I have a complete Type 841 motor that has been completely rebuilt by Justin Eckersley formerly of Alpine Motors here in Canberra plus spares. Has a nice Renault Turbo rocker cover. Rebuilt with all new bits including pistons, liners, clutch and water pump. Reluctant sale. Also have a R17 fuel injection manifold with Bosch injectors. PM me if interested and will send photos and prices.
    Shoji likes this.

Thread Information