• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alan moore

Thread: Wanted R1091 mechanical and electrical parts

Tadpole

Default Wanted R1091 mechanical and electrical parts

Hi all
    I'm looking for parts for my R1091 Gordini. Right now the most pressing pieces are a brake light switch and a turn signal unit (apparently not a can...) All 6 volt of course. We wouldn't want to make it difficult.
    And then if there are some locally sourced suspension bushes.... brake drums... see where this is heading...
    I hear and read lots about people putting later model motors, gearboxes and suspension in these. I'd love some pointers...

Advertisement

Join the Renault Car Club of Queensland. There are some seriously knowledgeable Dauphine people in Brisbane and surrounds.

Also, consider joining the Renault 4CV Register of Australia for national coverage for rear-engined Renaults.

You can use a 6V can in the car for the flashers, just wire it correctly.

Go and look at Bretagne Auto Retro, for one example, for a good online catalogue for parts. Keep a beady eye on ebay for factory manuals and (equally important) the wonderful parts manuals.

There's a start....

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Certainly many people have fitted other engines to Dauphines. Not that I recommend it, but in the US, VW Beetle drive trains seem to have some popularity. Mostly people here fit an R12 or R16TS motor, if looking to upgrade, although Christian on here is fitting a Clio 1.4L to an R10. Even a standard 16TS gives over double the original Dauphine G power, in a 660Kg body, it will lift along quite well. An R10 gearbox will fit in easily, just don't be dropping the clutch at high revs in 1st with the 16 motor, as the sunwheels in the diff will shear. I broke 9 over some years. I broke the pin that holds the star wheels in the diff twice as well. With full R16 gearbox innards in the R10 housing, things are much stronger, with a nicer final drive ratio.

Given the engine bay room, the spare wheel bay for a front radiator, much larger interior with only around a 60Kg gain ,better aerodynamics, the Dauphine is a superior choice over my modded 4CV, not that I will be getting rid of the 4CV in the near future.

In Qld you could fit up to a 1980cc engine in the Dauphine with appropriate other mods, for engineer approval. Maybe your Dauphine would be more stable over 180Kph than my 4CV, but I doubt it.
    JohnW likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

I'm thinking nine might be a record Alan.....

A couple of the beautifully-modded Dauphines out there have air dams at the front - I wonder whether they help or not?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdon View Post
    Hi all
    I'm looking for parts for my R1091 Gordini. Right now the most pressing pieces are a brake light switch and a turn signal unit (apparently not a can...) All 6 volt of course. We wouldn't want to make it difficult. suspension bushes.... brake drums...
    This may be correct for your Dauphine. Brake switch
    https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/H...nder/ANR84364/

Suspension Bush
    https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/H...chse/ANR83354/
    https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/H...chse/ANR83355/

Turn signal unit
    https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/H...nen-/ANR14062/
    https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/H...nen-/ANR14366/

There are a number of other overseas companies that can supply these parts. Best to get a list together to save on freight. You probably need to decide if you are going down the modification route, as this will certainly change your shopping list.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm thinking nine might be a record Alan.....
    I broke the gearbox 13 times all up. I could pull the gearbox out, strip, replace the broken bits and rebuild it, and have it back in the car in 8 hours, without a hoist. I was a somewhat younger, fitter, and stronger man then.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Tadpole

Thank you for the info folks. Looks like I'm going shopping in Germany this time. Have already been to Greece and Argentina for bits... It'll be a truly international car by the time it makes it back on the road.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Perhaps just drive down to Inverel over Easter for the 4CV Muster and you never know who you’ll meet with bits you may need or info of where to get them.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thread Information