• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oz80
  • 1 Post By cav91

Thread: WTD 1994 Peugeot 306 s16 starter motor

Tadpole

Default WTD 1994 Peugeot 306 s16 starter motor

Thank you for the help so far. My project is a little stuck at the moment. Can't drive the car at the moment it was a suspected fuel pump relay but I believe it might the starter. Car clicks when trying to turn over. Battery is fine. To that end does anyone have a starter I can buy from them? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Check with the Peugeot wrecker in Lowood QLD. Has most models of starters and cheap/free freight. Find them on Gumtree .
    Or take starter out and take to auto electrical to test.
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Oz80,
    You might try EAI at Thornleigh to see what they charge for starters - maybe they have something suitable for early 306 S16.
    John505

Tadpole

Thanks John, I did some reading on the forum. The information explains the process of removing the starter very well. However, nothing really prepares you for how big the job actually is...
    dmccurtayne likes this.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Oz80 View Post
    Thank you for the help so far. My project is a little stuck at the moment. Can't drive the car at the moment it was a suspected fuel pump relay but I believe it might the starter. Car clicks when trying to turn over. Battery is fine. To that end does anyone have a starter I can buy from them? Thanks in advance.
    Buy a new one from EAI, a couple of hundred or so. Common to 205 306 and 405 at least.

I beleive s16 is different to normal 306. S2 mi16, s16 and gti6 all interchange. But the solenoid is in a different place on the standard cars and they dont fit. I tried it on my s2 mi16 years ago!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    dmccurtayne likes this.
    406 D8 V6 manual

VIP Sponsor

I pulled one off a S2 Mi16 last week, I can check with other ones I have. It is alight weight one which may make a difference.

Tadpole

I've managed to remove everything. I now have access to the starter motor. Having some trouble getting the starter motor out now. Does anyone have an pics of this process they could share with me? Thanks in advance.

VIP Sponsor

3 X 8mm inhex bolts on bell housing.

Tadpole

Thanks Graham,
    I have a feeling that the hex bolts have been replaced over time. Only one hex bolt which I have removed. The other bolts appear to be a 16mm bolt. One is very tight. I had to take the car off the jack stands through fear of car falling off whilst I was trying to remove the bolt. Oxytorch?

1000+ Posts

Tap it with a hammer firmly to jolt and break thread. This has added advantage of closing up socket making hex tool nice and tight to remove it. They do freeze up with no thread lubricant, a good thing to when refitting.

At this point just overhaul starter and reuse, it will be the solenoid sticking, reverse it by 180 degrees and reuse.

It has a thrust surface, a little fine oil will not go astray either. All you need is a small torx fitting to strip it down. Simple job, clean the starter solenoid as you do this. Degrease everythiung.

Removing back of starter motor shows brushes which should have plenty of life, spray with brake cleaner liberally whilst holding it to drain carbon laden liquid out to clean commutator and brush dust. Did this on mien before breakfast this morning, got to get a life but hey presto rebuilt starter.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Tadpole

Thanks Matthew,
    I'll give it a go tomorrow evening. Thanks for all the advice.

1000+ Posts

Nothing to lose.

Failing that the one I put in this morning has had two of it mount threads stripped so has to come out again, I have spares so your welcome to it, just undo head of it swap with yowr old one and you will be in business. You're well advised to fit a starter relay whilst in there to relieve the key and the arcing that the starter will cause. This carbons up the key mechanism, another failure point. Very easy to do and happy to advise how.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thread Information