WTB 395 renault gearbox or parts
  • Register
  • Help

Default WTB 395 renault gearbox or parts

Just putting the feelers out for a damaged 395 gearbox or parts. My fith gear selector shaft is suspect.

As GekoEng put it:

"Pictures show the 5th gearshaft both sides. Back of the selector end has two lock dimples which works in the nose of the box. but on the guide end there is no dimple for 3rd/4th gear lockout. does anybody have a damaged 395 box or just the shaft for 5th gear."

Advertisement

WTB 395 renault gearbox or parts-20180716_135227.jpegWTB 395 renault gearbox or parts-20180716_135255.jpeg
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Just putting the feelers out for a damaged 395 gearbox or parts. My fith gear selector shaft is suspect.

As GekoEng put it:

"Pictures show the 5th gearshaft both sides. Back of the selector end has two lock dimples which works in the nose of the box. but on the guide end there is no dimple for 3rd/4th gear lockout. does anybody have a damaged 395 box or just the shaft for 5th gear."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180716_135227.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	107627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180716_135255.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	107628
    Hi Ray
    I have a spare selector that is yours for postage if you need it.
    Rob Sealey

That groove would be to lock out fifth, not 3rd/4th. That was however only used on early 365 boxes.

On your box that's how it's supposed to be.

Put the box back together and see.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Schlitz,
    You have not been following the plot !!!

I now have 5 workshop manuals, all Renault, that tell me old and new 395 boxes have a lockout dimple on the 5th gear shaft, to lock out 3rd-4th gear shaft when 5th is selected.

So why is my 395-13 different to the genuine Renault workshop manuals.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

I think some of the plot has eluded you.

You obviously don't have my Renault manual (MR185 Nov 1976 edition Anglais, which cancels and replaces MR156 of July 1976 and MR156 amendment #2 of December 1971) where it is clearly shown, that early 365 boxes had a detent ball and groove and late 365 boxes didn't. These boxes also had an extra groove that matched on the 3/4 shaft. 395 boxes used on 15/17 cars up to that point did not have that locking groove/ball hence grooves are absent on both the fifth gear and 3/4 shafts.

Moreover, the early 365 boxes that have the extra ball there, have a different lockout mechanism (and an extra groove) on the other three gear selector shafts and use a thick disk to lock each other out. This is not the same on the 395 you have there.

Whilst my manual only covers 395 boxes used in R15/17 up to that point (hence only suffixes 04 to 09), the pictures show clearly that the fork on g'boxes WITH the detent ball are totally different to the one in the pictures above.

Besides, that box you have is exactly as it came out of the R18 where it lived its service life.

Trust the manuals, but I would suggest you put the box together and study the lock out mechanism to make sure it is the way it is supposed to be.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 16th July 2018 at 09:47 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Unfortunately the shaft we were promised has not materialised.

So If anybody has a late 395 box in pieces and can part with a 5th gear selector with the dimple in the position for 3rd-4th lockout, please contact me.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thread Information