• 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 2 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By G4ME
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel

R8G

Default WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel

Hi all, as per the title I'm looking for a Renault Caravelle steering wheel.

Attached is the steering wheel from the parts manual. Looking for the top one.

Advertisement

Regards,
    Jason

WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel-capture.jpg
    Jason Emmelkamp
    President, Renault Car Club of Australia

• 1967 Renault 8 Gordini
    • 2006 Renault Megane BO 225 Cup
    • 2014 Renault Fluence (Ph.2)

With the exception of the wicker work, that looks like an R8 wheel. The probability is slim (but you never know). As you are probably aware the spline size between 8/caravelle and R10's (your more likely source of spares) is different. So check the spline detail of your Caravelle column I'd suggest.

If all else fails, Floride59 is pretty good at making one. Not sure if he is still running such a business on the side?
    R8G likes this.
    KB

I look around on ebay from time to time and I've never seen either of them for sale I'm afraid. Our Caravelle in Kenya had the second type, which is the same, I think, as the 10S in Australia, perhaps with a different centre boss.

I have one of the second type in the cupboard if you become desperate, with a standard R10 centre boss not the dummy steel one with three dummy bolt heads..... (Yes, Kevin, maybe it is a Tardis...)

Maybe keep an eye on Ebay France? Good luck with it.....

cheers
    R8G likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jason, you might be sorry, the original I had on the Floride, was terrible, they crack and fall apart, I had mine restored twice and still kept happening, so elected to go with Moto Lita steering wheel, there is a guy on he south coast to repairs Steering wheels, Can remember his name, but he said he had one under his bench, and has given up trying to repair them. The steel core seems to be the problem. Good luck trying to find one, however you could try Jacques in the USA, he supplied parts for my Floride.
    regards,
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by R8G View Post
    Hi all, as per the title I'm looking for a Renault Caravelle steering wheel.

Attached is the steering wheel from the parts manual. Looking for the top one.

Regards,
    Jason

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	107299

1000+ Posts

PM 59 Floride.

Default Floride, Caravelle, Dauphine G steering wheel.

Hi all, I've got one brand new (5 years ago) and unused yellow/black Floride steering wheel left but I don't have a Caravelle centre for it. Caravelle centres should be easy enough to get though. These wheels can be resprayed with black epoxy paint if required, so a solution is at hand if you need it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel-img_4958.jpga.jpg  

If R8G doesn’t want this it looks the same as the one I am desperately after for my Dauphine G resto. Would that be right? If so I’d love to purchase....
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    Paul

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Tadpole

I have a Dauphine wheel on my Caravelle I’m wanting to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    If R8G doesn’t want this it looks the same as the one I am desperately after for my Dauphine G resto. Would that be right? If so I’d love to purchase....
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    Paul

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I think the only difference between the Daughine G steering wheel and the Floride/Caravelle steering wheel is 10mm difference in the back set which is hardly even worth worrying about, but you'll have to join the queue old chum, you are about the third in line for my last wheel

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I think the only difference between the Daughine G steering wheel and the Floride/Caravelle steering wheel is 10mm difference in the back set which is hardly even worth worrying about, but you'll have to join the queue old chum, you are about the third in line for my last wheel
    Bugger. It must be rocking horse poop season - start an auction :-)
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Default Steering wheel

Hi Graham,
    This is my wheel - and the car I'm restoring.
    Cheers...Paul

WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel-image1.jpgWTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel-image2.jpg
    JohnW likes this.

Hi Graham,
    This is my wheel - and the car I'm restoring.
    Cheers...Paul

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	107600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	107601
    Wow, That looks like the same colour as Alan Moore's wife Karen's car, I made one for her and I reckon the colour was pretty close. I'll have a scratch around and see if I still have the formula.

Your old wheel is typical of many that I see around, nice car though

let me have a rummage around and see what I can come up with but at the moment I am distracted somewhat with geriatric parents so could be a while before I can help you out.

Surely something simple would suffice

WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel-rod.jpg
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Surely something simple would suffice

Name:	rod.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	107602
    Or for something a bit more fancy (while not being too ornate) I find this quite attractive ...

WTB: Renault Caravelle steering wheel-19260025.jpg

Lovely beige Dauphine, Paul. Have you been watching Ebay France for "volant"? It is surprising what turns up sometimes.

I marvel at how bad these steering wheels are sometimes. Have people put them in the oven? I guess just left in the sun for decades....

Good luck. I wonder whether 59 Floride has taken the bait?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Bait taken,

When I see guys with immaculate cars that are missing the correct steering wheel I remember back to when I was in the same predicament. Essentially the steering wheel is the main interface between car and driver and for the sake of having the original factory car feel I reckon the correct steering wheel finishes the job.

Some may remember I set out on a journey of discovery in an effort to reproduce a factory wheel for my Floride, I did it and still have the jigs and rubber moulds for the Floride steering wheel hidden in a good safe place. I make no promises when it will happen but some time in the future I will make another run of 20 steering wheels and that may be the last time I get the urge.

Graham,
    The OP will be out of action for a few days so may not see this immediately. His FIL passed away and there is a service today, and another tomorrow in regional areas, so he’s a little tied up. Not that you’re rushing to commence a production run.

KB
    G4ME and 59 Floride like this.
    KB

Hi John,
    Yes it's a nice car now. Been a long resto and finding the finishing touches has been a battle. I've not managed to find a wheel in decent condition anywhere on the globe and I reckon all the Aussie ones were fried over years in the heat - unlike anything Louis probably expected.
    Cheers..Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Lovely beige Dauphine, Paul. Have you been watching Ebay France for "volant"? It is surprising what turns up sometimes.

I marvel at how bad these steering wheels are sometimes. Have people put them in the oven? I guess just left in the sun for decades....

Good luck. I wonder whether 59 Floride has taken the bait?
    JohnW likes this.

Bait taken,

When I see guys with immaculate cars that are missing the correct steering wheel I remember back to when I was in the same predicament. Essentially the steering wheel is the main interface between car and driver and for the sake of having the original factory car feel I reckon the correct steering wheel finishes the job.

Some may remember I set out on a journey of discovery in an effort to reproduce a factory wheel for my Floride, I did it and still have the jigs and rubber moulds for the Floride steering wheel hidden in a good safe place. I make no promises when it will happen but some time in the future I will make another run of 20 steering wheels and that may be the last time I get the urge.

Graham,
    You are a gentleman and a scholar. I am in no rush with plenty to still do. I'm hoping to be up and running around Christmas time. I've been waiting for 12 months for the Carby rebuild so I am a patient man...
    I fully understand there's different priorities going on in your life and I am just grateful you're considering a production run.
    I'm pretty chuffed my bait pictures helped with a nudge though.
    Cheers...Paul

1000+ Posts

<snip>
    Essentially the steering wheel is the main interface between car and driver and for the sake of having the original factory car feel I reckon the correct steering wheel finishes the job.
    <snip>
    Then again, the original factory car steering feel might be something best modified into improvement if one actually enjoys steering feel. I suggest that quicker (2.5 turns) steering & a smaller, thicker-rimmed wheel transform R.E.R. steering for the better. A nice substitute wheel is that from the R5 A/G.

Of course if steering feel is not of over-riding importance but original appearance is, then of course the story changes.

cheers! Peter

Ah, more bait taken. Give me a 4.5 turn rack and Nankangs any day..

Graham,
    You are a gentleman and a scholar. I am in no rush with plenty to still do. I'm hoping to be up and running around Christmas time. I've been waiting for 12 months for the Carby rebuild so I am a patient man...
    I fully understand there's different priorities going on in your life and I am just grateful you're considering a production run.
    I'm pretty chuffed my bait pictures helped with a nudge though.
    Cheers...Paul
    That's not just bait, that's a tragedy..

Thanks for the feedback re coloured Floride/Dauphine steering wheels.

Preferences so far are:
    Red/black
    Lt blue/black
    Black/black
    Beige/black
    (to suit the dauphine G)

White is a disaster because they start to yellow prematurely.
    Yellow is unpopular
    Lt Green is unpopular

Any other requests?

Thread Information