• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By 21571
  • 1 Post By David2051.5
  • 1 Post By jonf

Thread: Wanted: Old Car Radio

Default Wanted: Old Car Radio

Hi, has anyone got any old car radios? Looking for something early 70s.
    I like the way this one looks in my car, it just doesn't work.
    Cheers Tim.

Wanted: Old Car Radio-1530527988876.jpg

Advertisement

Plenty on eBay. Even found an older one for my 203
    NOW: 1960 403 Sedan 1953 203 Ute Honda vfr800
    Previous Peugeot 1 203 6+ 403 7+ 404. 4 504 4 505. 1 205
    Renault. 3. 12ís. 2. 16ís 1. 25wagon. 1. Floride
    Citroen 1gs

Those are easy to repair. I would give it a go.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

If you really want to be pedantic and want a early 70's radio then if would be AM only.
    Apart from 2MBS that started in 1974, FM didn't start in Australia until 1975 and there were darn few stations then (2JJJ and a few others). New cars, if fitted with a radio (and a lot weren't factory fitted but dealer fitted), would have had a AM radio in the early 70's. Even into the early 80's it wasn't uncommon to see an AM only radio fitted from the factory for the base models.

But like Schlitzy said, have a go at repair.
    The radios of that era were transistorised with discrete components, few if any IC's and certainly no SMD's.
    They came from a time when things were fixed if they were faulty and not simply replaced so circuit diagrams etc. could probably be found. Some items like switch-pots might be specific to a radio but 40 years on the problems are more likely to be leaky capacitors and/or dry joints.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

COL

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    If you really want to be pedantic and want a early 70's radio then if would be AM only.
    Apart from 2MBS that started in 1974, FM didn't start in Australia until 1975 and there were darn few stations then (2JJJ and a few others). New cars, if fitted with a radio (and a lot weren't factory fitted but dealer fitted), would have had a AM radio in the early 70's. Even into the early 80's it wasn't uncommon to see an AM only radio fitted from the factory for the base models.
    This maybe true for Australia, but in Europe they had FM radio decades before the 1970's, and know doubt this is going into a French car so an AM/FM radio like in post #1 is period correct.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Those are easy to repair. I would give it a go.
    Until you need a non sync vibrator
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

My car's a '74 and I think for the sake of wanting FM I may assume it was a factory Euro fit. This one in the 1973 A310 catalogue looks a bit a fancier than the one I have, ripped from an R12 many years ago.
    Wanted: Old Car Radio-a310-radio.jpg

Just need fix this fellow then!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wanted: Old Car Radio-1530614506992.jpg  

Here's one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wanted: Old Car Radio-diamond-dot.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Until you need a non sync vibrator

I doubt it has valves in it.

If it did, that would make it even more important to restore. I would definitely fix it.

It may be a bit more complicated if it was a positive ground (which is possible) and/or 6V and/or has germanium semiconductors, but even then it's not that hard to fix and old semiconductors are still around.

The only real problem I see if someone having tried to fix it in the past and messing with the alignment or the tuning of the IF filters.

Like Ren said, I would check some electrolytics and coupling/filtering capacitors that may have started leaking electrically, and next check resistors for drift.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 3rd July 2018 at 10:44 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Here's one:
    Looks like an Astor Diamond Dot or Airchief either 11 transistor or 13 transistor and this would be from the early 70's.
    Astor and Airchief were both made by Philips at the time and made in Australia in Clayton.

The trouble with AM radios is there are bugger-all AM radio stations, even in capital cities.

There are companies that will gut an AM radio and refit it with a modern AM/FM radio internals.
    So you have the fascia of a period correct radio but will be able to listen.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Here's one:
    That's a good one! I'm quite limited for space. A modern single DIN struggles to fit.

Sent from my LT29i using aussiefrogs mobile app

Well I pulled the volume pot apart and gave it a good clean. It had 10k printed on the side so I pulled out the multimeter and started measuring. After some work with some 2000 wet and dry I was getting a full range of measurement around the dial.
    Plugged it into the car, and hey presto I have noise! FM works quite well, AM is struggling.

Kenfuego likes this.

Check the capacitors, but be careful. That type of PCB is crap (perhaps the worst problem with that radio). Tracks lift off very easily.

Maybe just change the capacitors without checking. They'll be dead for sure by now.

Leave micas alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 21571 View Post
    , AM is struggling.

Probably time for an RF and IF alignment. Pretty typical for radios of that age.

Make sure you have a good earth at both the aerial and the radio.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Probably time for an RF and IF alignment. Pretty typical for radios of that age.

Make sure you have a good earth at both the aerial and the radio.
    Also from memory on some of these old radios there is a small trimming capacitor that is accessed from the back to trim the antenna to the radio.
    Last edited by COL; 4th July 2018 at 09:34 AM.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Also from memory on some of these old radios there is a small trimming capacitor that is accessed from the back to trim the antenna to the radio.
    Possibly, if it was late 50s early 60s radio It would likely have an aerial trimmer.

However, the transistor versions often didn't have them. Because of increased gain and selectivity (when properly aligned).

Poor AM performance and OK FM performance can be symptoms of radio that requires alignment. Good luck with adjusting ferrite coil slugs. It was standard practice to cement them place at the factory to avoid vibration issues when in a vehicle. If it's Australian made it may have rubber strands locking the coil slugs.

However these perish and can cause the same issues as cement.

And of course there is the problem of finding a technician with the skill, equipment and finesse to align a 40 year old radio.

Just a thought- I have put an old stereo in my 80s car and have wired up a modern stereo in the glove box so you get the look of the old stereo with the performance of a new one with Bluetooth, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dimistyle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David2051.5 View Post
    Just a thought- I have put an old stereo in my 80s car and have wired up a modern stereo in the glove box so you get the look of the old stereo with the performance of a new one with Bluetooth, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have seen this done in old 70s cars as well. The original look without the crappy AM sounds!

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

My elderly neighbour had a TV and radio repair business. They just demolished his huge 2 story, asbestos work shed a few weeks ago. It was being held up by the 40 year old TVs inside. He still has a room full of old school electronics in one room of his house. Don't think his hands are up to wielding a soldering iron any more. Maybe worth a visit to see him in the retirement home.

Looks like it's FM only for me then! Not that I can really hear much over the engine and road noise. Much rather listen to that I4 sing to 7k, but with smaller diameter tires than stock it revs a bit harder and drones a bit on the highway.

Fellow Frogger!

who was the philistine that said there is nothing to listen to on the 'AM' band?

but back to the discussion... i bought one of those old style period look [but with modern internals] radios

and it works a treat

you can connect the iPod or iPhone gadgets

and get AM/FM radio signal

and it does not look out of sync with the dash

highly recommend

cheers

jon
    okalford likes this.

I agree, and the ABC 774 Khz morning program was my fare for very many years.

And with a 50 Kw transmitter, you are more likely to receive ABC's AM than some lower Power FM or new fangled DAB + stations.

Thankfully, in retirement, I'm spared the drive/ bun fight down Hoddle Street to work.

However, occasionally I still listen on ABC's live streaming.
    Last edited by robmac; 4th July 2018 at 04:44 PM.

On most nights many, many years ago I could pick up AM 3UZ (Melbourne) in Newcastle 800 Km away. Can't do that with FM and no internet.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

On most nights many, many years ago I could pick up AM 3UZ (Melbourne) in Newcastle 800 Km away. Can't do that with FM and no internet.......
    If that was before 1977, the Transmitter was a STC (?) 5 Kw (boat anchor) and the transmitter and antenna were located in Lower Plenty.

Thread Information