205 front bumper (and red trim)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 front bumper (and red trim)

Someone gave me a love tap yesterday and unfortunately broke my front bumper. To add salt to the wound it was the only exterior item I had that was arguably in perfect condition...

205 front bumper (and red trim)-1525649269872.jpg

Just putting feelers out if anyone has a bumper and red trim in very good condition?

Also looking for right quarter panel bumper and right orange indicator.

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Lach

Sent from my E6653 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Do you have someone whose insurance you can claim against? I think Spoox in the UK has all that you need in stock, but the cost will hurt if not insured. Any chance you can get repairers to quote the repair using those parts and then use the quotes to cash settle the claim?

I agree with Richard if you can get someone to pay for it go for it, if it was a hit and run, that's pretty crap.
    The red trim unless badly damaged can normally be massaged back into shape, which is true for all of the side trims also.
    I may have a wheel arch grey plastic trim, I'll have to check.
    cheers
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Someone gave me a love tap yesterday and unfortunately broke my front bumper. To add salt to the wound it was the only exterior item I had that was arguably in perfect condition...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1525649269872.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	105771

Just putting feelers out if anyone has a bumper and red trim in very good condition?

Also looking for right quarter panel bumper and right orange indicator.

Cheers,
    Lach

Sent from my E6653 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Fortunately? it happened at my place, narrow street, new neighbours, drives facing each other, you can see where this is going.

They came over after it occurred and gave details. Given where this is now going the costs should not be too bad, one party young couple, high mortgage young child, other a younger heartbroken 205 owner with no children, yet. He has now learnt where to park when he visits to help!

Getting the best outcome for both sides is the priority, suggestions to date are looking very good for both sides.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

You haven't told us whether said young couple have an insurance policy to claim on. Surely they must?? If they had run into a new Korean car the costs to replace bumper and trims would be much the same as it will cost to fix the 205 properly - why not get the quotes to fix it properly with new parts?

1000+ Posts

They do, if its comes under the excess its win win. New parts are the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Do you have someone whose insurance you can claim against? I think Spoox in the UK has all that you need in stock, but the cost will hurt if not insured. Any chance you can get repairers to quote the repair using those parts and then use the quotes to cash settle the claim?
    The parts come to about $1.8k plus shipping+insurance (god knows) from Spoox. I have heard that all new bumpers are plastic now, instead of fiber. Would this be any less stronger than the original?

This includes:
    - bumper
    - red trim
    - bumper and trim fixing kits,
    - indicator and indicator support mount
    - headlight and headlight adjuster support
    - front arch (no trim)

Still have to account for dint in quarter panel and labour.

I highly doubt they will have an excess this high. This is the first time I haven't been at fault for a claim, so I am not sure as to the process with insurance. Are they usually willing to go this far to order parts from overseas or will they put it in the too hard basket and try to write the car off? My insurance covers the car for $4700.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    The parts come to about $1.8k plus shipping+insurance (god knows) from Spoox. I have heard that all new bumpers are plastic now, instead of fiber. Would this be any less stronger than the original?

This includes:
    - bumper
    - red trim
    - bumper and trim fixing kits,
    - indicator and indicator support mount
    - headlight and headlight adjuster support
    - front arch (no trim)

Still have to account for dint in quarter panel and labour.

I highly doubt they will have an excess this high. This is the first time I haven't been at fault for a claim, so I am not sure as to the process with insurance. Are they usually willing to go this far to order parts from overseas or will they put it in the too hard basket and try to write the car off? My insurance covers the car for $4700.
    This will depend mainly on insurer, but the value of write off is a lot greater than the parts, youíll also need a labour quote to see the total. If you are with Shannons you can call them and you choose repairer and they will claim it back against the party at fault inc their insurance company. Also worth upping insurance value once itís sorted out.

Iíd also consider getting the matching headlight and indicator otherwise it will look noticeably different left to right.

1000+ Posts

Lach,
    If you dont want to go "all new parts" then i have a mint Si bumper with mint chrome strip [easy to paint ]....also the orange indicator [either complete item -used OR brand new orange cover ] The headlight adjust support as well.
    I should have a front rhs arch too....and maybe the red strip for it. Hope that helps if you get stuck.
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si.

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

1000+ Posts

Indicator, search Horn Miles ebay uk.

That site is way overpriced. You can get all that stuff way cheaper off ebay (with the possible exception of RHD headlights, though I doubt theirs are original Valeo/Marchal). Not sure why you'd bother though given you're not paying for it. I had someone reverse into my car and had similar damage. Cost 1800$ to fix with my work and my parts sourced from overseas. I found a fibreglass bumper cheap, but shipping was about 300$.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    Lach,
    If you dont want to go "all new parts" then i have a mint Si bumper with mint chrome strip [easy to paint ]....also the orange indicator [either complete item -used OR brand new orange cover ] The headlight adjust support as well.
    I should have a front rhs arch too....and maybe the red strip for it. Hope that helps if you get stuck.

What is the difference between an Si and a GTI bumper?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Obviously the ideal outcome (for Flock at least...) is to get two quotes based on new parts prices, use those quotes to cash settle the claim with the insurer, then take the money from cash settling the claim and source second hand parts to complete the repair yourself more economically.

If you are concerned that Matthew's neighbour loses no claim bonus if you make a claim, you could use some of your savings to deliver them a nice bottle of red in compensation. However, to do that much damage to the Pug I assume they will have done some damage to their own car as well. It seems unlikely that they could fix both cars under any scenario without having to make a claim on their policy so I don't see any reason you wouldn't get the repairer who will fix their car to also quote you for doing the repair properly.

It doesn't take much to damage cars that are falling apart as you look at them. I had absolutely the same damage as described here by flock from one Auspost van backing into my car square on, but a bit off centre. Just a light tap and the front bumper bracket on that side bent, pulled the bolt through the bumper damaging it beyond repair, the bumper pushed into the mudguard, dented the mudguard around the hole where the bumper buffer bolts, the indicator light was broken, the grille had its lower stud broken off (one of my last spares with both studs intact). The van had no damage because it hit with its modern plastic bumper that flexed a bit and then bounced back. His bumper was a lot wider than mine as well, so it had more room to deform before it damaged anything behind it.

And if the offending party has damage they want repaired, they need to make two claims so I would say don't worry about cost.

My damage was paid for in full at about 700$ cost of parts and 1000 $ labour.

Or keep an eye out for a "parts" car if your not in a hurry, might serve you well up the track too if you intend keeping yours. Cos $1,800 for just what your after??

1000+ Posts

Maybe time to increase.agreed value of your car,as they are increasing in value.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    What is the difference between an Si and a GTI bumper?

They are the same however one needs to use the 2 Si brackets in liu of the GTi items.
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si.

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

You could always use the insurance cash to maxi it!
    After all you already need a new bumper and side moulding, and there's got to be some damage to that guard - ideal excuse!
    James.

Well most smash repairers don't want to touch it or don't have the time (I don't blame them). Found one that was nice enough to ring French Car Care for the most recent prices on the parts it needs, even though they aren't available. Their quote comes out to about $1200 so I'm going to take that to the neighbor see if they want to cash settle and be done with it, otherwise I'll go down the insurance route. Luckily I have a spare bumper I just need to find a good molding for it.

Not a fan of the maxi unless its covered in decals! Thats what your Si is for isn't it jech?! Im keen

Kinda wishing I had an Si now so I wouldn't feel bad if I bastardized it with modern aftermarket accessories like this champ:

205 front bumper (and red trim)-ae1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 front bumper (and red trim)-bez-ae1.jpg  

By "cash settle" I meant you make a claim on insurance but ask the insurance company to pay you the cost of the repair in cash rather than paying a repairer to do the repair. Most insurers have a process to do this.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Thread Information