Caravelle windscreen
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Caravelle windscreen

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Cootamundra NSW Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default Caravelle windscreen

    Hi Guys. I am in need of a windscreen for a 1965 Renault Caravelle R1133. Any info on where to source one would be very appreciated. I am at Cootamundra NSW 2590. Thanks. Carakeith.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,101

    Default

    Try Ralph Moore in Mascot.

    He carries screens for R8/10's - not sure if they fit?

    But - his are ordered in from Pilkington in the UK and around $550.

    Have you tried ordering one through your local Windscreens O'Brien or similar franchise?
    KB


  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    31,820

    Default

    I bought a Floride windscreen through O'Briens about 10 years ago at a huge cost, $800 and I fitted it myself.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,101

    Default

    I had the two most amazing flukes when I did my green car back in 2003/early 2004.

    Rang up Windscreen's O'Brien - they had an R8 windscreen in stock - fitted for around $150 to 200.
    Walked into Bob Jane, they could order me in 5 Michelin ZX's (or XZX maybe) for $93 each fitted & balanced.

    The white car needed a new windscreen 2011/12 - $550 supply only from Ralph Moore. Another $120ish for someone else to fit it.

    I'd hate to have to replace the Michelin's now - which I must think about doing since I'm driving around on at least 2003 era tyres - don't tell 4cvg!
    JohnW and R10S FAN like this.
    KB


  5. #5
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    I am still waiting for a Dauphine windscreen from Easter last year via Pilkingtons and Ralph Moore. The story I was given was Pilkingtons were moving their car windscreen division, or maybe just the classic windscreen division to Finland, and thus the delay, and associated union troubles along the way I guess.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

  6. #6
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Cootamundra NSW Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thanks guys, I'll try Ralph Moore tomorrow. Yes I have tried O'Briens without success & my windscreen man has exhausted his contacts except for having one expressly made - at a huge cost - multiple thousands for the bare glass. I am searching out other options. thanks again.

  7. #7
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I bought a Floride windscreen through O'Briens about 10 years ago at a huge cost, $800 and I fitted it myself.
    Of course you fitted it yourself....
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  8. #8
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I had the two most amazing flukes when I did my green car back in 2003/early 2004.

    Rang up Windscreen's O'Brien - they had an R8 windscreen in stock - fitted for around $150 to 200.
    Walked into Bob Jane, they could order me in 5 Michelin ZX's (or XZX maybe) for $93 each fitted & balanced.

    The white car needed a new windscreen 2011/12 - $550 supply only from Ralph Moore. Another $120ish for someone else to fit it.

    I'd hate to have to replace the Michelin's now - which I must think about doing since I'm driving around on at least 2003 era tyres - don't tell 4cvg!
    I had similar luck with an R8 screen. I won't comment on the tyres.....
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  9. #9
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carakeith View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll try Ralph Moore tomorrow. Yes I have tried O'Briens without success & my windscreen man has exhausted his contacts except for having one expressly made - at a huge cost - multiple thousands for the bare glass. I am searching out other options. thanks again.
    Why don't you PM cyber-papy and ask about suppliers in France?
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  10. #10
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    31,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Of course you fitted it yourself....
    I always fit my own windscreens it's a piece of cake.

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I always fit my own windscreens it's a piece of cake.
    I knew you would.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    18,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I am still waiting for a Dauphine windscreen from Easter last year via Pilkingtons and Ralph Moore. The story I was given was Pilkingtons were moving their car windscreen division, or maybe just the classic windscreen division to Finland, and thus the delay, and associated union troubles along the way I guess.

    Article on the closure of the closure of the Pilkingtons Queenborough factory and move to Finland

    Pilkington glass factory to close at Queenborough with loss of 14 jobs
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Is it possible to cut one from a larger windscreen? Just need to find one that's the right shape.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

  14. #14
    My Supermodel 63-1092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?
    Posts
    10,191

    Default

    Wasn't there a guy selling a second hand one on gumtree few years back wanting $1000 or something silly like that.
    I have two second hand spare ones in my garage if you can't source new.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

  15. #15
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Cootamundra NSW Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default

    JohnW Thank you, I'll see how I go with Ralph Moore tomorrow. I'm not a French speaker so wonder how I could PM cyber-papy effectively.
    Last edited by Carakeith; 3rd May 2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added name for reply

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Just saw this. I was an owner of a 1964 Caravelle, now sold. A year ago I had a name of a Glass supplier in/near Mascot Sydney but for the life of me I can't remember their names.
    A screen was about $300 and about $90 for postage to Adelaide.
    Maybe Google "Glass suppliers Mascot NSW" and see what comes up.
    Cheers Phil



    Quote Originally Posted by Carakeith View Post
    Hi Guys. I am in need of a windscreen for a 1965 Renault Caravelle R1133. Any info on where to source one would be very appreciated. I am at Cootamundra NSW 2590. Thanks. Carakeith.

  17. #17
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Cootamundra NSW Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thanks 63-1092 I will keep you in mind. Regards.

  18. #18
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Cootamundra NSW Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default

    R8philSA I have been given the name of Ralph Moore at Mascot via this thread & will contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the info

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    <snip>

    I'd hate to have to replace the Michelin's now - which I must think about doing since I'm driving around on at least 2003 era tyres - don't tell 4cvg!
    No one did but I saw it anyway :-)

    My current "best available" recommendation for standard 4" rims is not a wonderful tyre (but nor is a ZX or XZX). Merits are that it is cheap, locally available, much better than either Michelin in the dry & no worse in the wet & likely to be better. It's also tubeless - a decided merit. The tyre? Nankang's AS-1 in 145/65-15.

    AS-1 | Nankang Tyres

    cheers! Peter

  20. #20
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carakeith View Post
    JohnW Thank you, I'll see how I go with Ralph Moore tomorrow. I'm not a French speaker so wonder how I could PM cyber-papy effectively.
    Well, you could use Google Translate, but actually his English is excellent. He might even see this post.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,101

    Default

    Phil, pretty sure that would be Ralph Moore Autoglass in Mascot. The same one I recommended.
    KB


  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Hi, I also have an R1133 1965 and had to buy new one to pass roadworthy. O'briens found one in the States, imported and fitted just over Au$1000 about 5 years ago.

  23. #23
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,901

    Default

    Eek. There's a high price! It does suggest an email to Jacques Rear-engine Renault Parts in California might be a good idea though.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  24. #24
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    I'd say it would be best to source one through a local supplier. That way if it gets broken in transit, it is their problem not yours. If not NOS, most of the new screens are likely to come from the same source.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    964

    Default

    OK KB. Yes that sounds familiar.
    Cheers
    Phil


    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Phil, pretty sure that would be Ralph Moore Autoglass in Mascot. The same one I recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •