Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN

Thread: Wanted: Virage radiator

Fellow Frogger!

Default Wanted: Virage radiator

Hi all,

I have a Virage currently having work done on the cooling system. I have a radiator which was NOS from the Renault factory in Melbourne when it closed down. I assumed that the radiators would have been the same size from the 12 to the Virage but apparently not, or this one is from a different model, as it is about 20mm too wide.

I'm hoping someone might have a good condition Virage radiator as it will save me the expense of re-coring the current example.

Advertisement

Located in central Victoria.

Thanks!
    2009 Citroen C5 HDI 2.0
    1978 Renault Virage
    1963 Lightburn Zeta
    1969 NSU Ro80

COL

When you say the radiator is 20mm to wide, which part are you talking about? The tanks? or the mounting holes?

From memory the Virage radiator was a little wider than the R12 one.

The hose connections are in the same place.

If you look in the front panel you will see different cut outs for the radiator mounting bolts for the different sized radiators that can be fitted to these cars.

Just trying to save you some money.
    Berridale likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Too wide? Col is right to be confused.

Why would you recore it anyway? More surface equals better cooling, that can't be bad. And if it is too wide to fit between the headlight housings, how would recoring it help?

From what you're saying, it sounds like you are not working on the car yourself. You need to go have a look and see exactly what is goin' on or you're going to spend some money unnecessarily.

And if the radiator fits in its location - which it should, because it is hard to believe Renault changed the body pressings just to fit a wider radiator (i.e. if there is enough room between the headlights), I would look for the bottom mounting holes, which should be there. You might have to move some captive nut clips or some such to a different set of holes, but the radiator should go in. At worst, you might have to drill anther set of holes, but I would still argue that is a better idea than recoring the radiator.
    Berridale likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

In my experience there are only two widths, the standard R12 and the wider version (in the auto virage I think). Most R12 shells should have both sets of the upper mounting holes as I've swapped the wider R17 G radiator into an R12 shell as well as a wider one from an auto virage before and just had to move the captive bolts to make them line up.

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post

I'm hoping someone might have a good condition Virage radiator as it will save me the expense of re-coring the current example.

Thanks!
    The two best investments you can make in an old car a new tyres and a new radiator.

You might save yourself a few bucks now with an old radiator, but when it fails (not if) , you'll be kicking yourself. Watch the $$$$ add up after a tow home and a warped head.

I don't know about your options with installing this 'wrong size' radiator, but I know the options with a used one are all poor ones.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882 View Post
    In my experience there are only two widths, the standard R12 and the wider version (in the auto virage I think). Most R12 shells should have both sets of the upper mounting holes as I've swapped the wider R17 G radiator into an R12 shell as well as a wider one from an auto virage before and just had to move the captive bolts to make them line up.
    If it is a copper and brass radiator any reputable radiator shop should be be able to remove a tank and rod the tubes.

Provided the core does not have too much corrosion or fins falling off, once cleaned out and painted it will both work and look like new.

Even if a few fins are flattened , they can straightened. This labor spent "finning" usually decides if a new core is a better option.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If it is a copper and brass radiator any reputable radiator shop should be be able to remove a tank and rod the tubes.

Provided the core does not have too much corrosion or fins falling off, once cleaned out and painted it will both work and look like new.

Even if a few fins are flattened , they can straightened. This labor spent "finning" usually decides if a new core is a better option.
    These are your old style copper/brass radiators.

I have had them re cored before, but it is not cheap.

I have also removed the tanks and cleaned out the cores as Rob mentions and then re-assembled.

After having a think about it Chodaboy has a manual Virage and he bought an automatic radiator, and all that is needed to fix his problem is to move the right side top mounting stud across to the next hole.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I too think it does sound that way, Col.

We'll see how it pans out.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The auto 12's had a separate radiator for the gearbox oil that fitted next to the coolant radiator in the vacant space on the LHS.
    The engine coolant radiator for the motor came in two sizes, for hot climate or cool climate.
    All R12/Virages sold in Australia, well all the manuals, should have the hot climate radiators so should all be the same. I think the core is 475 x 308mm and the tanks are around 35mm wide (hose is 32mm).
    I've had 5 R12's ranging from a 72 build to a 78 build and they all had the same size radiator, however they have all been manuals.
    The autos might have a smaller radiator so the oil cooler can fit.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replies. I've just been to see the car and the new radiator must be out of something else, it's 3 or 4 inches wider and it stops the bonnet hinges from closing. I got it years ago with a whole bunch of 12 stuff so I assumed it was a 12/Virage part.

On a side note, I have some lights and badges for a 12 which I can't use so I'd be happy to sell them, most of them are still in the packaging.

It seems that unless I can find a NOS or aftermarket radiator I'll have to get the old one reconditioned.

You can actually buy brand new R12 radiators from overseas (China).
    Have a look on the usually suspects, Aliexpress, Ebay, Amazon, etc.
    They might be the small type thought.
    Berridale likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Thread Information