Go fast(er) Renault 12 Parts wanted (mostly old 15/17 stuff)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Go fast(er) Renault 12 Parts wanted (mostly old 15/17 stuff)

Hello all.

With my 12 quickly being a reality, the next step for me is to hoard the 'performance parts' for that future glorious weekend(s) in which to add it all to it.

Advertisement

-K4M / K4J, want to play / start getting organized for it to go into zee 12. As in. happy to take a broken / high millage something just to play with if one is being tossed cheaply.

#Edit: Got these yaaaaah.
    -15/17 front Hubs + calipers (is pretty much what I need to convert the non vented disc to vented 15/17 ones right?)
    -Early 12 Tacho dial. Someone here a while back had one and I said no it because I was buying wheels.
    -Dual circuit brake master cylinder + booster (It makes sense to just buy a new one but if you have one that is in working order, actually even a junk one will mean I'll have to rebuild it. Free LEARNING! (don't ask about the one I had in the wreck I bought months ago...)
    -12 wagon /15 / 17 larger drum rear end or sure, unless you have a disc brake rear end setup yes please, but larger drums will be welcome.

Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by bowie; 27th February 2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Got bits / changed mind.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

You want GO FASTER parts but everything you are looking for will make you STOP FASTER

Yes no accident there.

Ba boom tsh

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

There's an R17 at eurocity motors here in Geelong that's complete and he'll sell for a few hundred dollars. Not sure of the model. I pulled another 807 motor from one of his cars a couple of years ago. Probably surplus to my requirements now too.

Sent from my LT29i using aussiefrogs mobile app

Just a few points, and if the 17 above is available, it'd probably be worth grabbing.

Your car will be an early single-circuit brake car, so you will also need to source or make new lines to suit the front/rear circuit. Also bin the under-dash handbrake, and replace with the one between the seats.

If going to the 15TS/17TL vented disc/bigger drum setup, you will need the 15TS/17TL master cylinder with its larger bore (don't forget the bolt-on pressure drop indicator valve. The 15/17 servo is the same as the dual-circuit 12 servo.

If you are really lucky and find a disc rear end, you will also need the 17TS/G booster and master cylinder.

Your car may still have the early Jaeger gauge cluster, this has a printed circuit, so it will be difficult to just add the Australian VDO tacho. It would be best to find the later 12 Jaeger cluster with the Porsche-inspired central tacho - for ease of fitting you will also need the matching wiring loom. Or if you still have the 12 1.4 dash, fit the whole dash, with its matching loom.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thank you 21571. I'l try them again. I did ask them about brakes and sway bars from a 15/17 when I picked up a bonnet for the 12 six or so months ago now.. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Simon thanks for the heads up. I do actually have a Virage dash (and loom... wait no that's in queensland.) in the shed... it's just so ugly Perhaps I'll feel better once I weigh it and it comes out being 20 grams lighter.

And I would have forgotten the bolt on pressure drop indicator valve. As for new brake lines, yes I'm prepared to discover that adventure.

Or just get the brake lines off the R15/17 whichever you demolish.

They'll fit straight in the R12 if you take the little plastic clips that hold them on the body.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

That sounds better!

Just a word of warning is you do go the R12 1.4/Virage dash. The Virage dash will bolt up easily and all the mounting holes are in the same place but there are a few detail points that need to be sorted.

The rear loom for the 12 is wired differently from the Virage. They have the same plug so will fit together but some of the connections are different and will need to be moved. You could replace the whole rear loom but swapping a few terminals is far easier.
    If you go with the later dash, the heater/demister controls are different so you'll need the Virage tap. I found it easier to just swap the whole heater/demister core with the hoses and tap connected. There is a plate on the N/S strut tower where the Virage tap sits but the heater will work with having the tap floating.
    You'll also need the parcel shelf from the Virage as there's no glove box in the Virage dash and the glovebox sits in the centre of the parcel shelf. The early parcel shelf has the provision for the umbrella handbrake (even if it has the handbrake between the seats) so is wider around the steering column. The Virage glovebox might need to be cut out to fit around the wiper motor (not 100% sure, it's been a while since I swapped a R12 dash to a Viraqe dash).
    Your early R12 TL probably doesn't have the mounting lugs for the bigger fuse block. You'll probably have to cut the parcel shelf to mount the fuses.
    The heater/demister air flaps in the cabin have different cables so it will be necessary to swap the flaps from the Virage. I don't think you'll be able to swap just the cables but could be wrong.
    The wiper motors are wired differently so you can't use the early wiper motor with the later lever type wiper switch. The plugs are the same size/shape but you'll fry either the switch or motor or both if you mix them. While you got the dash out, swap the wiper mechanism from the Virage to the R12.

These are just a few thoughts that come to mind and I might have missed a few details.
    It is doable without too much grief if you have all the bits but don't expect to knock it over in an hour.
    As Simon said, if you have the Virage harness then that will make things much easier.

Also beware that the plastic clips that hold the top of the dash are likely to be brittle and are likely to break very easily.
    Take it easy and have some spares if you can get them.

I personally like the Virage dash better than the R12 dash and with the R12's proclivity to self-destruct if left in the sun there are few R12's around with an early dash that are intact. The Virage dash is far more hard-wearing.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Hmmm, so just get a 6" monster Tacho with a shift light you say

Thank you for the words of wisdom. My early dash looks to have lived under a mat all it's life so its actually quite nice. Anyway. Best track down that wreck from Geelong first.

What Simon said about the Tacho, the Jaeger cluster is a moulded plastic case and you can't add a tacho.
    The Australian VDO gauges are three separate pods mounted on a steel frame and they can be removed individually.
    (Theoretically, you would be able to mount any instruments by replacing one of the pods, as long as they're the same diameter)

There was a guy on Ebay that was trying to sell a VDO cluster but I think he was asking way too much.
    He had two and the complete one was over $200 if memory serves. Another one was missing a tacho but he was till asking around $150 for that one. (Haven't looked for a while so they may or may not still be there). I have a VDO cluster with a good tacho but a needle had fallen off one of the minor gauges (battery I think) so it would need repair. Also, if you change to VDO instruments, you'll have to change the speedo cable as the VDO speedo has a different (screw-on) fitting to the Jaeger clip-on type.

If you can get a complete Jaeger TS cluster it will have the tacho and temperature gauge.
    I'm not sure if the instrument connections are the same but you could probably use the existing harness.
    The tacho wire might be missing from the harness so will have to be added or swap the whole harness for one from a TS.
    You will have to change the temperature switch sender for a temperature gauge sender too.

Or, like you said, you can buy an sick aftermarket monster tacho (with shift light of course) and screw it to the A pillar.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Hmmm, so just get a 6" monster Tacho with a shift light you say

Thank you for the words of wisdom. My early dash looks to have lived under a mat all it's life so its actually quite nice. Anyway. Best track down that wreck from Geelong first.
    Went past there on the way to work today. The body is pretty stuffed, 807-11 motor with a four speed all there. Found out he's recently thrown out a few R18 motors. Should have grabbed them when they were first mentioned. Can't save everything though.

Sent from my LT29i using aussiefrogs mobile app

Yep just called him. It's missing an alternator otherwise it's complete. Tempted to turn up with an alternator and permit it home...

But might just ask mates with tow bars first. Exciting.

I have some stopping bits that may be of use. I don't actually know what they are but it's four stud arrangement I believe for an R17. I can dig the box out and take a few photos if you are interested.
    Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Regarding the dash bits and pieces, I’m in the process of making a franken12 and I will have a wiper mechanism, the cable controls for the heater and vents, and I think a Virage glovebox.
    I have a Virage that I’m fitting air con in and I’ve had to make all sorts of changes to allow it to happen which leaves me with excess bits as well as a massive headache from trying to make it all fit and work Let me know if you need specific dash and control bits and I’ll see if I can help.
    In the future I’ll possibly have lots of other bits available too, basically a 17G minus the engine, 365 box and rear disc set-up, but I’ll advertise that in a separate post when it happens.

Cheers Paul. I've got a workable set of 3 stud wheels, I may save you the hassle at the moment and the come begging once I realise they would be better for larger diameter discs.
    Last edited by bowie; 5th March 2017 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882 View Post
    Regarding the dash bits and pieces, I’m in the process of making a franken12 and I will have a wiper mechanism, the cable controls for the heater and vents, and I think a Virage glovebox.
    I have a Virage that I’m fitting air con in and I’ve had to make all sorts of changes to allow it to happen which leaves me with excess bits as well as a massive headache from trying to make it all fit and work Let me know if you need specific dash and control bits and I’ll see if I can help.
    In the future I’ll possibly have lots of other bits available too, basically a 17G minus the engine, 365 box and rear disc set-up, but I’ll advertise that in a separate post when it happens.
    Thanks for the offer I'm more or less ok for interior bits, well most of it will come out as much as being compliance with rego will allow.

I confess walking buy it each morning (the 12 fully dressed) sitting under the tree with shiny bumber bars, in full trim, well it's a charming little pos.

I'm still working out logistically if buying this 17 from geelong and parting it out in my front yard is going to be realistic, if it is I'll be ok, if not, I'll be in touch for the things I'm still after

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882 View Post
    Sorry if I hijack the thread, but I would like to see your aircon set-up in your Virage when you're done 3006882.
    It was about 38 degrees here last Wednesday and I had the pleasure of sitting in a traffic jam for an hour while the bloody boom gates on the Cavendish Road level crossing decided to go fritz.

Cheers
    Ren.

Fellow Frogger!

Well the a/c isn't finished yet but the install so far has involved changing the wiper mechanism to a LHD one with shorter shafts that I narrowed to fit the RHD holes, This was all so the wiper motor would clear the a/c blower.
    I've also had to remove the three controls for temperature and upper and lower vents to make room, but have added servos and cable units which are the exhaust butterfly valve control from a Suzuki GSXR1000 to control these and wired the servos into the heater and venting controls in the a/c unit.
    The a/c system itself is a combination of a vintage air genIII mini evaporator/blower/hearer unit, a rencool 12V electric compressor, a bunch of vintage air hard lines and aeroflow flex lines and fittings to connect everything, a vintage drier and an aftermarket condenser that was the only one that would fit.
    Once I get it all working I'll do a full write up on it, but let it be known though that this has not been a cheap exercise, so not for everyone.

Thread Information