WTD: XU9JA Camshaft, Etc.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member Pugly 306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    46

    Default WTD: XU9JA Camshaft, Etc.

    After a cam from a 205 GTI 1.9 (XU9JA DKZ), the engine with 109mm long valves.
    I am rebuilding my XU7JP, and the cam has a bit of pitting on it, and would like a bit of extra performance out of it anyway.
    2nd hand is fine if in good condition.
    After the cam oil spray bar as well please.
    Also does anyone know if the tappet cover from the earlier models will fit in place of the plastic one on the 306? I have a "cold air" intake so don't need the air filter part that is built in…
    Am in Brisbane, but willing to pay postage if anyone is able to help out.
    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,236

    Default

    Yes, just remove all the screw on fittings from the bearing caps and replace with normal 7mm nuts. Yet another cam suffers from the lack of lubrication in these late engines.
    My only JA cam is in a working engine, sorry. It would be a lot easier to find a JAZ cam as these were fitted to Australian cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugly 306 View Post
    After a cam from a 205 GTI 1.9 (XU9JA DKZ), the engine with 109mm long valves.
    I am rebuilding my XU7JP, and the cam has a bit of pitting on it, and would like a bit of extra performance out of it anyway.
    2nd hand is fine if in good condition.
    After the cam oil spray bar as well please.
    Also does anyone know if the tappet cover from the earlier models will fit in place of the plastic one on the 306? I have a "cold air" intake so don't need the air filter part that is built in…
    Am in Brisbane, but willing to pay postage if anyone is able to help out.
    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member Pugly 306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Yes, just remove all the screw on fittings from the bearing caps and replace with normal 7mm nuts. Yet another cam suffers from the lack of lubrication in these late engines.
    My only JA cam is in a working engine, sorry. It would be a lot easier to find a JAZ cam as these were fitted to Australian cars.
    Thanks Graham, may have to try my luck with some of the wreckers I guess.
    Cheers!

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,236

    Default

    Wreckers would have to be in the UK if you want a JA cam.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugly 306 View Post
    Thanks Graham, may have to try my luck with some of the wreckers I guess.
    Cheers!

  5. #5
    Member Pugly 306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Wreckers would have to be in the UK if you want a JA cam.
    Yep, will try for JAZ parts as you suggested.

    I've noticed Peter T mentioned with regards to camshafts, do you think he would have anything?

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,236

    Default

    A late series 1 405 has the XU9JAZ/DKZ engine.
    Peter does have the details for the JA cam, I think, so would be able to supply a cam reground to that spec.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugly 306 View Post
    Yep, will try for JAZ parts as you suggested.

    I've noticed Peter T mentioned with regards to camshafts, do you think he would have anything?

    Cheers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •