• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whiteGTI

Thread: WTB 205 Suspension Parts

Tadpole

Default WTB 205 Suspension Parts

Hi All,

I'm after some uprated springs and dampers for an '88 205 GTi for track work - if there is someone out there with a spare set of competition springs, a set of coilovers or something similar, please drop me a line on 0467 044 974 or flick through a PM with prices and details.

I'm located on the Sunshine Coast in QLD.

The attached photo should explain the need

Cheers

Advertisement

Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB 205 Suspension Parts-11162036_363803097142467_8345701653510228827_o.jpg  

It needs bigger torsion bars on the rear first. It's a common mistake to over spring the front.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

As Peter said give the rear suspension some attention first.
    My GTi came with Eibach springs on the front, red konis all round and standard torsion bars and sway bar at the back.
    No problems encountered with road use but as soon as I put it to work on a track all wasn't well.
    Too much understeer and a tendency to lift front wheels.
    Tying the back down cured both and made for a much more enjoyable experience.

Paul

WTB 205 Suspension Parts-wheel-lifting-mako.jpg

Apologies for the out of focus picture but its the only one I have of the car in action.
    Unlikely to be any more as the club has lost the use of the Mako Trac.
    Could always make the trip to Townsville I guess.
    Last edited by 504-504-504; 21st April 2015 at 05:29 PM.

I second all of the above. If your budget is tight even an uprated rear ARB is better than nothing.
    Dont be fooled by fitting anything to the front until the rear is sorted.

If its for the road also. 21mm bars will be enough. Any more the body will flex too much. Dont over spring the front.

An Lsd will be one of the best mods you make.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

Cheers for the feedback guys - does anyone have the recommended parts to fix said problem? My issue at the moment seems to be an over-abundance of grip at the front end - understeer is not an issue with the semi-slicks I run on it, but having more contact with the road on the inside front would not be a bad thing, hence the assumption that some stiffer springs may be in order (also the tyre is starting to gouge chunks out of the plastic guard extension when it knees down as per the above photo). I haven't had a problem with the rear at all, it follows the front wherever I point it and only if I aggressively lift off on a tightening sweeper do I ever feel a wiggle.

LSD 1st, then stiffen the back!

Good Luck

After getting your LSD, try about 28 psi in your front tyres, then turn in a tiny bit later and you will be able to get on the gas a bit quicker?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    LSD 1st, then stiffen the back!

Good Luck

After getting your LSD, try about 28 psi in your front tyres, then turn in a tiny bit later and you will be able to get on the gas a bit quicker?
    Have been looking into LSD's but again the problem isn't understeer or wheelspin (a minute amount on the exit when I roll back on the throttle early, but it hooks up really well). The problem is front end wallow and roll. I get the feeling from all the feedback that this will be partly solved by stiffening the rear end, but this seems entirely counter-intuitive. I am willing to listen to experience though, so onward to uprated torsion bars and firmer rear dampers.

Also, funnily enough I was running exactly 28 psi in the fronts for the day. Spot on for grip and turn in, ended up being the fastest road car and pulled 4th outright of 16 cars (which is why I want to sort the suspension, I'm not content with 4th! haha)

Fit a thicker rear arb. You can buy a gti6 24mm bar and have it cut at one end and welded to a plate. Its probably not the prettiest but works well.

Trust us when we say you need an lsd. You will got seconds faster just with that. You can get the power on much much earlier and drag the car around and through the corner.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

Roger. LSD and rear ARB.

Anyone have a spare one or the other or can point me in the direction of a reputable supplier?

Iv'e seen your picks on the Sunshine Coast Sports Car Club's page. Good going - Where did you come?
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Iv'e seen your picks on the Sunshine Coast Sports Car Club's page. Good going - Where did you come?
    It was a great day out - pulled up 4th outright of 16 cars. Ahead of me was a race prepared swift GTI that sounds like a GSX-R on steroids, a stripped and stiffened SSS n14 Pulsar running an sr20de and slicks, and a Mitsubishi Franken-Sigma that is faster than it has any right to be. Astron 2.6 engine with high comp and R1 carbs, cage, 830kg and new Nitto slicks. I'm pretty happy that the bog stock Pug with a full interior running well used Federal RS-Rs was less than a second off the pace!

I'm hoping that with an LSD, a bit of stiffening and a few brave pills it could take things up a notch.

Jump on the Sunshine Coast Motorsport Club FB page, we've got another gymkhana happening in July and I want to see some more Frenchies in the mix.
    lion5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteGTI View Post
    It was a great day out - pulled up 4th outright of 16 cars. Ahead of me was a race prepared swift GTI that sounds like a GSX-R on steroids, a stripped and stiffened SSS n14 Pulsar running an sr20de and slicks, and a Mitsubishi Franken-Sigma that is faster than it has any right to be. Astron 2.6 engine with high comp and R1 carbs, cage, 830kg and new Nitto slicks. I'm pretty happy that the bog stock Pug with a full interior running well used Federal RS-Rs was less than a second off the pace!

I'm hoping that with an LSD, a bit of stiffening and a few brave pills it could take things up a notch.

Jump on the Sunshine Coast Motorsport Club FB page, we've got another gymkhana happening in July and I want to see some more Frenchies in the mix.
    Good going!

I am sure just the LSD will give you the second you are after, you will be astounded at the difference. (You do not have to remove the gear box to fit the diff). The events you are entering and the age of the standard diff means you will soon be finding the diff and diff housing all over the track soon (they all appear to do it with age).
    You have heard the saying "one change at a time"?

Good Luck.

As far as the "brave pills" I would need a bucket full. Motorkhanas are fast enough for me.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I've been racing 205's for over 10 years now and others on here longer than that. I can assure you that just changing the ARB is not going to cure your front end problem. You need to stick your hand deep into your pocket and buy some hardened and tempered torsion bars from the UK. If you can afford it, buy a big ARB at the same time. I'll pass on the name of a reputable UK contact if you message me.

I'm also happy to pass on the geometry settings your car needs in order to handle, once you have the bigger rear torsion bars fitted.

Robert is right about the LSD. Your diff will explode soon, taking the case with it. Contact Brett on here for a 3J.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information