404 gearbox wanted
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 gearbox wanted

My mate "Cookie" obtained a 403 sedan rustbucket (out of a paddock) a while back that had a good engine. Now that he has a rustfree 403 utility that came without an engine and gearbox, he is ready to put the sedan engine into the ute.
    He has been told that the gearbox from the sedan is not suitable to go into the ute so he is trying to locate a gearbox out of a 404.
    Are there any available "out there" and if so; I could pass the details onto Cookie.
    Thanks Michael Paas ( I've tried to get him involved with ID Citroens but he's stopped short with this Peugeot project).

Advertisement

I have a 403 ute gearbox in Bris. PM me if interested.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 403

why is the gearbox unsuitable ?

is Cookies sedan an early one (A)? and the ute later (B) ?

Only 404 gearboxes to 1967 would be suitable for a 403b , later boxes are BA7

VIP Sponsor

The later (403b) ute has a 4.75 diff so an overdrive box wouldn't be too bad. Early 403 overdrive sedan has 5.7 diff, the 403 b sedan with direct drive 4th is 4.2.
    You will need to use a 403 b top on your 404 box, or just use a 403b box complete.
    Pretty sure I would have a 403 b or early 404 box available.
    Which year model is the ute, does it have an alloy rear axle assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    why is the gearbox unsuitable ?

is Cookies sedan an early one (A)? and the ute later (B) ?

Only 404 gearboxes to 1967 would be suitable for a 403b , later boxes are BA7

Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 gearbox required

My organ donor ( 69-70 404 sedan ) has gearbox still in-situ, also engine.

I haven't disembowelled him fully yet, as have been focused on main project

Engine was running when he was driven into the place from which I got him and reason for wrecking was body condition rather than mechanical.

I want to keep back axle and torque anchor etc. , but have just had an acceleration of my storage crisis ( no 2 son has fallen in lust with a mini , which moves in next week ) , so plans to salt away various Peugeot bits need reconsideration. Am focused on finding good home for the various organs and panels rather than making shitload of money.

Engine and gearbox would be available. May need some help getting them out.

Also have high backed "tombstone" Renault 16 seats ( fit 404 ) which have to go to tip soon unless good home found. They are not pretty , but are comfortable and effective.

Car in Mordialloc, seats in Hampton.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    The later (403b) ute has a 4.75 diff so an overdrive box wouldn't be too bad. Early 403 overdrive sedan has 5.7 diff, the 403 b sedan with direct drive 4th is 4.2.
    You will need to use a 403 b top on your 404 box, or just use a 403b box complete.
    Pretty sure I would have a 403 b or early 404 box available.
    Which year model is the ute, does it have an alloy rear axle assembly?

VIP Sponsor

As Alpine has said that gearbox will not be any use, needs to be a C3 from a 1967 model or earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    My organ donor ( 69-70 404 sedan ) has gearbox still in-situ, also engine.

I haven't disembowelled him fully yet, as have been focused on main project

Engine was running when he was driven into the place from which I got him and reason for wrecking was body condition rather than mechanical.

I want to keep back axle and torque anchor etc. , but have just had an acceleration of my storage crisis ( no 2 son has fallen in lust with a mini , which moves in next week ) , so plans to salt away various Peugeot bits need reconsideration. Am focused on finding good home for the various organs and panels rather than making shitload of money.

Engine and gearbox would be available. May need some help getting them out.

Also have high backed "tombstone" Renault 16 seats ( fit 404 ) which have to go to tip soon unless good home found. They are not pretty , but are comfortable and effective.

Car in Mordialloc, seats in Hampton.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Well that's certainly given me a lot of info on a subject I know little about. My brother John is bringing down a "Citroen" load from Brisbane later this month.
    Dalziel; could you email me on [email protected] and tell me which suburb you are in, in Brisbane and how much you would be wanting for the ute gearbox.
    I'm not real good with these "Private Messages".
    I'm passing this info on to my mate Cookie and he certainly has a good idea on the info that you are all giving --- and thankyou Graham for you input.
    Michael Paas

Fellow Frogger!

What colour is the ute. I have a suspicion that it was one of my old cars. I left it out at Jack's, as I did with a few others (203's, 203 wagons, 403 wagons, etc., etc. etc. etc.) before he sold the place with all cars still there. I don't want them back as I have sold all my cars and we have only kept Carolyn's 203 and the 407.
    FLASH

Fellow Frogger!

Yes Flash, it is a light grey ute and Cookie says it came from the place you mention. The Dash looks as though it has had some attention, --- it looks pretty good. The ute has only surface rust. It has been made into a trayback and the red seats are pretty good.
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

A gearbox is on it's way to "Cookies". Thankyou for your responses and Dalziel, thanks for the offer of the gearbox.
    "Cookie"already has the engine running sweetly so when the gearbox arrives he can check it out and begin the job of putting it all into the 403 Ute.
    Michael

I think it was my cousins ute the new owner of the farm is my uncle
    If it is light grey has red front seats with light grey dash with blue vynle.
    If it Is that ute, it's a late 403 and it has the alloy rear diff
    It has had new sill covers made, they aren't like the original ones
    And it was originally light blue
    My cousin got the car off his grandfather and he used it as his work ute in Wollongong for years.
    I sprayed it the grey colour about 15 years ago.
    Regards Jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

VIP Sponsor

If so it would need the alloy C3 box, although as I said with the 4.75 diff it would be acceptable with the earlier overdrive C2 box.

Quote Originally Posted by 1pugnut View Post
    I think it was my cousins ute the new owner of the farm is my uncle
    If it is light grey has red front seats with light grey dash with blue vynle.
    If it Is that ute, it's a late 403 and it has the alloy rear diff
    It has had new sill covers made, they aren't like the original ones
    And it was originally light blue
    My cousin got the car off his grandfather and he used it as his work ute in Wollongong for years.
    I sprayed it the grey colour about 15 years ago.
    Regards Jamie

Thread Information