WTD: Clio 182 gearbox
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default WTD: Clio 182 gearbox

Hello,

Advertisement

I am after a gearbox for a 2004 Clio 182 2.0 Sport. Brand new or newly reconditioned would be perfect (and probably impossible to find) , otherwise a used one with the history of the car is ok as well.

Thanks guys!

itsmenath,
    I would only suggest UK/Europe. I have had decent results from www.breakeryard.com .

You may be lucky in OZ.

Ray, geckoeng
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Why not fix yours? I have repaired plenty, they're not that dear to fix - pm if interested.
    1988 205 GTi XU10J4
    2001 406 Monaco 5sp V6

Tadpole

Thanks for the website Ray!

I'm still trying to decide if it's worth chucking in a second hand box or just getting mine rebuilt. I am swaying more or less towards getting it rebuilt as their is less mucking around with warranty and things not working if the one shop starts the job and finishes the job.

PM sent.
    Last edited by itsmenath; 4th April 2015 at 01:15 PM.

Just another thought, a few years ago Renault Australia were knocking out excess stock Clio 182 five speeds. It may be worth investigating with your nearest friendly Renault dealer if they are still available.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Thanks Simon! I saw that in a thread a while back. Renault will be the first people I contact after this public holiday!

Fellow Frogger!

I don't suppose it is the same as in the Citroen C3? MA?? from memory? I have a 5 speed manual that I have replaced the main bearings in. No work since.

Erik SA

Tadpole

Thanks for the offer Erik but a quick google search has netted me no results if the citroen gearbox can be put into a clio, so I'm going to go ahead and assume no at this point in time. Plus i'll give it some time before I start stressing and looking at options other than a rebuild/gearbox swap.

I do wonder though if I feel like selling it off how much it would be worth. The body is in average shape and the engine has something like 130,000 on it. Was all running beautifully before that bloody gearbox decided it didn't want to operate like a normal gearbox anymore. The worst part is I just fitted some Toyo Proxes to it not even a week ago

Quote Originally Posted by itsmenath View Post
    Thanks for the offer Erik but a quick google search has netted me no results if the citroen gearbox can be put into a clio, so I'm going to go ahead and assume no at this point in time. Plus i'll give it some time before I start stressing and looking at options other than a rebuild/gearbox swap.

I do wonder though if I feel like selling it off how much it would be worth. The body is in average shape and the engine has something like 130,000 on it. Was all running beautifully before that bloody gearbox decided it didn't want to operate like a normal gearbox anymore. The worst part is I just fitted some Toyo Proxes to it not even a week ago
    No, the Citroen gearbox is not related to the Renault gearbox at all. It is a Renault designed 'box with its roots beginning way back in 1981 with the Renault 9.

As an example, recently a mate with the consecutive VIN 182 to mine traded his car in. A silver Cup suspension car, 78K km, timing belt change in 8/2013 (and not due for many more K's), always serviced by the required date, with regular gearbox oil changes. The paint was tidy, apart from a shopping trolley ding on the crease below the side protection strip on the LH door, and the steering wheel had deteriorated plastic grips. He was given $6.5K as a trade in, the dealer then knocking the car out for $8.9K, it was on Car sales in the morning, and the ad had been removed by the evening, so it is presumed it would have sold for close to the $8.9K.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    No, the Citroen gearbox is not related to the Renault gearbox at all. It is a Renault designed 'box with its roots beginning way back in 1981 with the Renault 9.
    Excuse me while I go google what a Renault 9 is

Thanks for the ballpark figure, at least now I know what to comfortably ask for if I do decide on selling it instead of fixing it, although i hope it never comes to that because this has been the funnest car I have ever owned.

Thread Information