WTB: low mileage, good condition engine for Pug 206 gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default WTB: low mileage, good condition engine for Pug 206 gti

Hi Froggers!
    Like the title says, I'm looking for a replacement engine for my wife's 2001 206gti; ideally low ks and must be in good working order. The current engine has a cracked block (disguised by the previous owner when I bought it), then missed by a mechanic when he inspected/serviced it, and then (on a separate occasion) replaced the timing belt!
    As you can hopefully appreciate, I've spent too much money on this car already, but can't justify selling it for scrap as it's actually in v good condition (apart from the engine!). I'd ideally like to buy all (good condition) coolant system hoses with the engine, as the ones in mine are perishing due to oil exposure.
    Help me out! Please!!

Advertisement

i have a good xu10j4r out of a citroen xantia, same engine as far as i know, one owner car with 180k has blown auto gearbox $400

tried eBay or local wreckers about? EW10J4 came in lots of cars. I regularly see lots of EW10J4 and J4S on eBay/Gumtree. Some are put up at dreamers prices, but i've seen some realistic ones around the $500 mark.

307, and C4s and C5s

Balki: The 206 was the first to have the EW

also.. did you give JB Weld/Quiksteel a crack? I've heard lots of good stories about them.

Thanks for the quick responses; I knew it was shared between a few different cars, but couldn't remember which. Tried the chemical treatment but didn't do the job. I've got to get some funds together! :-)

VIP Sponsor

Also the later 406s.
    Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    tried eBay or local wreckers about? EW10J4 came in lots of cars. I regularly see lots of EW10J4 and J4S on eBay/Gumtree. Some are put up at dreamers prices, but i've seen some realistic ones around the $500 mark.

307, and C4s and C5s

Balki: The 206 was the first to have the EW

also.. did you give JB Weld/Quiksteel a crack? I've heard lots of good stories about them.

have one of those here as well out of a 406 with 129k was crash on a icey west coast highway, still runs a treat

Thanks for all the help folks; I managed to find one from a 2003 307 with 90000km on it, 3 months warranty, and delivered to the door for $1000. Not the absolute cheapest, but very low ks, it's currently running fine, the warranty gives me some peace of mind, and I don't need to organise pickup.
    Now I've just got to change the belts and drop it in; fingers crossed it all goes smoothly! If anyone whose done this has any suggestions or things to look out for, please let me know!!

Thread Information