WTB: Renault 16 TL engine mounts and fuel pump
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarosa

Thread: WTB: Renault 16 TL engine mounts and fuel pump

Tadpole

Default WTB: Renault 16 TL engine mounts and fuel pump

Hello. Took my newly acquired 1974 TL for inspection today in WA. I was told to replace the engine mounts and fuel pump. Does anyone have some or can you direct me to a source, please? I have 30 days or else complete reinspection required.

Advertisement

Cheers!

Tom

• Hi Tom 2 ideas, Super Geert in Holland, go to renault16.com, or Caravelle Imports in Melbourne.

Cheers
    Steven

ps sounds like you or someone is going to lifting the motor up might as well get a gearbox mount while you're at it.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 1st March 2014 at 09:34 AM.

Tadpole

Thanks Steven, That's a great help and a good suggestion. Sounds like you may have done them before! Do you know if it is possible to get them out without fully removing the engine and gearbox? (Yep, it'll be me doing it,,,)

Quote Originally Posted by Tojo View Post
    Thanks Steven, That's a great help and a good suggestion. Sounds like you may have done them before! Do you know if it is possible to get them out without fully removing the engine and gearbox? (Yep, it'll be me doing it,,,)
    Hi tojo
    good to know there is someone in WA is restoring another R16.
    as far as my knowledge I think you may need to remove both moteur & g/box as the bottom tray is fixed so access would hamper it.
    ray Watson is the main man to know for sure.
    also my suggestion is to replace fuel pump with an electric type. Works terrific on my R17tl.

cheers Mark

I Believe you will be lifting the whole caboodle up, but basically drain the coolant, undo all the wiring and cables, and disconnect the driveshafts, which will require popping your top ball joints and steering arms, a hoist and stands are necessary.
    Then again you might get away with a jack on the sump but theres not much room under because of the gearbox plate. Hoist would be alot easier, Steve aka Sarosa will have a better idea.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 1st March 2014 at 09:58 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks again Steven. I'll check with Sarosa, too. This forum is working so well for me and I really appreciate the assistance!Cheers! Tom

Fellow Frogger!

If you can send me a picture or the part number , I maybe able to help. I've just supplied a friend of mine what I think may have been the same mount for his Lotus Europa.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I Believe you will be lifting the whole caboodle up, but basically drain the coolant, undo all the wiring and cables, and disconnect the driveshafts, which will require popping your top ball joints and steering arms, a hoist and stands are necessary.
    Then again you might get away with a jack on the sump but theres not much room under because of the gearbox plate. Hoist would be alot easier, Steve aka Sarosa will have a better idea.
    I've changed a few engine mounts but the motor was fully out. If I was to think about it, I couldn't see why the rubber engine mounts couldn't be changed with the motor in place. The rubber mounts are held in place on an mount bracket. The bracket itself is held by 3 bolts which are accessible via the front wheel arch. The rubber mount is secured via a bolt through the bracket and secured by a nut, also accessible via the wheel arch. The rubber mount itself is attached to the engine support plate via a 17mm nut and bolt. I couldn't see why the following would give much trouble, fiddly stuff underneath the car but a lot easier than removing the engine/gearbox combo.

Secure the car, raised a bit off the ground so you can fit underneath OK (Make sure it's safe etc. etc.!). Place a jack with a piece of wood on it and support under the sump to keep engine secure. Remove the nut securing the rubber mount through the wheel arch. Remove the nut and bolt (17mm) that goes through the rubber mount/engine mount. (It's fiddly here and hard to get spanners at the right angle etc., try a long socket on the bolt end through he engine bay and a spanner underneath on the nut end). Remove the rubber mount. If there is not enough room to pull the mount out because it fouls the engine block, remove the bracket as well (The 3 nuts accessible from the wheel arch). Put new ones in and loosely tighten the nut in the end of the rubber mount through he wheel arch. Put nut and bolt through the engine mount. Tighten everything and remove jack under sump. Retighten everything.

As I say I haven't done it but I can't see there should be any problems. Let us know how it goes.

Sarosa.
    David M likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks Sarosa for the detailed suggestion. I have some replacement parts coming and I will let you know how I go. I also had some valuable input from geckoeing who agrees that they should come out in the way you have suggested. Cheers!

Tojo

Fair cop You have to undo the mounts anyway!
    I was looking at mine wondering how to do it and getting to the bolts will be the hard part. As in why the bloody hell isn't there any access like on a Holden... Oh thats right its FRENCH!
    Bon chance!

Tadpole

Okay, it's all done. They wouldn't come out without taking off part of the bracket as well and I found it easiest to undo the bracket on the engine rather than on the wheel arch. If you undo the two bolts which are furthest aft, you can swing the bracket forward out of the way on the remaining forward bolt. Then with a little jacking to tilt the motor, Voila! you can get the rubber mount free. Thanks everyone.

Thread Information