R8/10 Jack & Handle
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8/10 Jack & Handle

Does anyone have an old jack and handle (or at minimum a handle) for the R8 or 10?
    I'm particularly after the crank handle to see if I can start my 8 via crank handle.
    I'm in Sydney.

Thanks
    Kevin

Advertisement
    KB

I'll have one somewhere, I think they would be a fairly common item.

Shaggs

mmm, I've never bothered to save them!
    Thanks Graham, and see if anything closer pops up otherwise I'll give you a shout.
    KB

Hi, I might be able to help with the jack handle. I have a spare one which you are welcome to, it is straight but has surface rust. I am going down to Strathfield from the mountains on Thursday. I also have spare jacks but they will take time to find, one of them is painted green instead of the usual grey, could this be an R8 original?
    Regards, Phillip.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Does anyone have an old jack and handle (or at minimum a handle) for the R8 or 10?
    I'm particularly after the crank handle to see if I can start my 8 via crank handle.
    I'm in Sydney.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Let me know if the other offers aren't able to deliver - I'm sure I have a spare handle somewhere or could find one in Perth.

They start well on the handle when cold, but do be careful to swing hard with thumb outside, not wrapped around the handle in case it backfires if you are too slow pulling it over compression. Make sure it isn't too advanced....

I have a fuel pump "avec levier", which is just what you need if you haven't fitted an electric one, so the carby is full.

Hot starting? Don't think I've ever tried with the handle. I imagine it would be a problem as mine needs a bit of cranking, not excessive but definitely more than one or two swings, and with the accelerator opened slightly as it fires.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 1OwneR 10 View Post
    Hi, I might be able to help with the jack handle. I have a spare one which you are welcome to, it is straight but has surface rust. I am going down to Strathfield from the mountains on Thursday. I also have spare jacks but they will take time to find, one of them is painted green instead of the usual grey, could this be an R8 original?
    Regards, Phillip.
    Thanks Phillip. The original R8's had green engines apparently, so could be.
    I have to keep this Thurs clear for a potential work trip to melb, but could whip up the mountains sometime to pick it up if that suits better?
    KB

thanks John.
    I recently fitted a pump with lever.
    I don't think I'll try cranking the white car although it has a Carter pump! Compression might be a killer.
    KB

Thanks Phillip. The original R8's had green engines apparently, so could be.
    I have to keep this Thurs clear for a potential work trip to melb, but could whip up the mountains sometime to pick it up if that suits better?
    Mine is an early R1130. Block was green - bad news as they warped on the early cars, or cracked, eventually.

R10s were black and Simon will tell us about R8 1100s original colour. I don't recall my mother's R8 1100 having a black block but it was a while ago...

My original jack was grey. Some earlier models were green - my 1951 4CV for example.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hello Kevin, I am going down to the 'Gong on Monday as well but route is not finalised yet (may be picking up a passenger). You are however welcome to come up the mountains, I am home most days or I can leave the handle on the front porch for you to pick up.
    Regards, Phillip.

There can be two types of crank handle. The early French made type for the R8 and early R10 had a spring on the crank section to make it easier to rotate. The later Australian made version, without a spring on the crank section, was used on the late R10.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks Simon,
    It's for the green R8, but I guess either type you mention would fit?

Philip, I will PM you direct
    KB

I always used a foot to start with the handle - I had a paddock basher R10 as a youngun and it rarely had a battery good enough for the starter motor!

Give the throttle a couple of squirts by hand to shove some fuel down its gullet, turn over slowly a couple of times, rest it up against the compression with the handle at about the 2 o'clock position - and give it a short sharp shove with your foot. No pain and they do indeed start well that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I always used a foot to start with the handle - I had a paddock basher R10 as a youngun and it rarely had a battery good enough for the starter motor!

Give the throttle a couple of squirts by hand to shove some fuel down its gullet, turn over slowly a couple of times, rest it up against the compression with the handle at about the 2 o'clock position - and give it a short sharp shove with your foot. No pain and they do indeed start well that way.
    Wonderful. I'd never thought of that!

I have had a near backfire during the "turn over slowly" phase though. If compression is good and it is a bit advanced, they can fire even with a gentle "get it into place for the sharp flick" movement. So, turn it to the right place and THEN turn on the ignition and flick it over compression. The foot action is a brilliant idea. Classic lateral thinking.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

So for the novice who hasn't even looked at it, is it clockwise or anticlockwise that you crank?
    I know the pulley bolt will through off the handle if it is wrong, but which way is correct?
    KB

In a circular motion Kevin.

Does the clock in your kitchen run from the left or the right (in a circular motion)?
    KB

erm it's digital..........

alright. you crank clockwise.

It's for the green R8, but I guess either type you mention would fit?
    Yes, either will fit, but the one with the spring should score max concours points, and will be nicer to use when either cranking the car or using the jack. Less friction between the hand and the crank, means more energy in the cranking and for jacking.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

So for the novice who hasn't even looked at it, is it clockwise or anticlockwise that you crank?
    I know the pulley bolt will through off the handle if it is wrong, but which way is correct?
    The dog on the crankshaft only allows it to rotate one way. And it is clockwise.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    In a circular motion Kevin.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

All sorted thanks to 1OwnerR10.
    I had a very quick go as I put the car away in the garage but didn't get it to fire.
    tried maybe 3-4 times. Might try when it's cold see if that makes it better or worse.
    Obviously need some practise, or get around to pulling the starter motor out!
    KB

All sorted thanks to 1OwnerR10.
    I had a very quick go as I put the car away in the garage but didn't get it to fire.
    tried maybe 3-4 times. Might try when it's cold see if that makes it better or worse.
    Obviously need some practise, or get around to pulling the starter motor out!
    OK. My occasional experience says it is fairly easy when they are cold.

1. Use the pump "avec levier" to be absolutely sure the carbie is full.
    2. One or two (maximum) pumps on the accelerator to set the choke and fast idle and to squirt a bit of fuel in.
    3. With the crank handle, bring it around past one compression and into the position ready to flick up past the next compression.
    4. THEN turn on the ignition. (Action 3. can give surprising results with the ignition switched on. I've not been hurt but they can fire on even a gentle swing and, if you are doing it slowly and if the ignition is just a bit too far advanced, it can fire back and break your wrist at worst. Mostly it needs just a change of underwear.)
    5. With the handle at the bottom, thumb outside the handle, give it a mighty fast flick-pull past that one compression. If it fires that is good. If it doesn't, turn off ignition and repeat 3. and 4. without any more pumps on the accelerator.

I've found this works when they are cold, especially if the auto choke and fast idle gear on the carbie is set up correctly of course.

Hot? Mine needs a few cranks to fire when hot, so the handle might be hard. If there is ever a risk of the battery being dead when you turn off, make sure you have (a) a hill to run down or (b) people to push start it. They push start well.

Take care.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

For those playing along at home, I have now successfully started the car twice now off the crank handle Phillip gave me.
    Both were effectively cold starts, one 30 sec or so after the first. I haven't tried a hot start yet. Thanks to those you gave me directions. I used JohnW's method with success.

Last edited by renault8&10; 23rd February 2014 at 09:38 PM.
    KB

Thread Information