Bx (16v) parts needed for Tas rego
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bx (16v) parts needed for Tas rego

Hi I just picked up a 'country' pink slipped bx16v in nsw and drove it to Launceston Tasmania.

I haven't owned a bx before and I figured doing up a bx would be fun.

The car drove well: engine, gearbox were great, but the car did develop a large hydraulic leak (went through 7 liters lhm during the trip). It is near the octopus or the octopus itself. When I called the previous owner yesterday he did mention that octopus was never replaced, so it might need replacing. Does anyone in tasmania has more experience fixing hydraulic problems and willing to pass on their knowledge?

It has some problems and I need some parts and assistance to get it registered. I need rear seat latches (the ones that bolt on the frame), Speedo cable, a steering rack boot, front windscreen, get a third brake light, I might need 2 headrests for the rear seats (I am not sure if the originally came with car), and the interior fan needs fixing.

Non essential items: I am after an oil temp sensor, a parcel shelf and the car needs a coat of new paint...

Advertisement

Any assistance to keep a solid car on the road would be kindly appreciated.
    Last edited by jorgen; 13th February 2014 at 03:34 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Octopus is available new again. I got mine last year from DS Motors in Qld, but others have got them elsewhere. Check in forum for directions on how to do it. Other option is to make one up, again see forum for what others did.
    Oil temp sensor is available from various after market shops that advertise on Aussifrogs; steering boot same; my 16v did not come with rear head rests.
    Speedo cable is getting hard to find, but make sure you know which half is faulty first. Interior fan, you will have to check what is broken. Fan speed modules are available from eBay UK.
    Parcel shelf is the same in all BX's, so try wreckers.
    Cheers
    Michael
    BX16v
    BX estate
    C5

Hi congratulations on your buy! Sounds like a fun drive!

You shouldn't need rear head rests for RWC, they were an option (rare). You can simply get a pair of front head rests and shorten the post if you like, these fit and look original.

I can probably find some seat latches (as in the male part the bolts onto the car?)

Steering rack boot you can probably buy new. Ring around, should be the same for all BX's. If not I found this on a quick ebay search.

Rear brake light will be tricky. You'll only find them here in australia and finding one that isn't broken can be problematic. Though you could make one your self. Ken W made an LED one for his Olympic Blue TZi. You could probably also adapt one from another car. Or again ebay search e.g. - Keep looking for one that looks good though.

Windscreen. Mine was cracked when I bought the car from ebay, We had a wreck with a good windscreen which I removed my self and then had a fitter install, whole job cost ~$80. So if you can find a wreck with a good screen that isn't delaminating I would suggest going down that route. Otherwise I think there were a few new old stock ones with various windscreen companies around the country, they would be expensive though.

So I would be looking for any series two wreck ('87ish onwards) that you can find locally and source most of your parts from there.

I just replaced my octopus, I wrote a small write up in my project thread - see my signature.

Good luck, and start a project thread!! We love pictures!

For your speedo cable, I recommend taking the two halves to an instrument shop and getting them to make up a replacement inner cable in one piece. Should be cheaper than buying two new half cables, and the single inner means you'll never get the dreaded speedo flicker! You will probably want to keep the two piece outer though - for ease of installation.

Thank you for the feedback. I have put an add on gumtree for a local parts car http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/norwo...car/1038760277

I am not sure where in Tasmania I can find an instrument repairer who can do the job. Does anyone know one or do I have to go to autocable in Melbourne?
    Reading a previous thread on aussiefrogs autocable was able to do the job.

A restoration thread started. Bx 16v 1993

I am still searching for a local parts car or a driveable in Victoria.

Thread Information