WTD Renault 17 Clutch Cable
  • Register
  • Help

Default WTD Renault 17 Clutch Cable

Hello fellow froggers

I have been away driving my R17 down to Bunbury WA South of Perth for the past week and just got back home late on Saturday night. ( it was so hot here that day) it was best to travel in the evening! Then yesterday I decided to do some shopping in Midland. However, after exiting the Roe Hwy onto Clayton St I could feel the clutch cable snap. I guided the car safely off the road and sure enough, I was right, for once.

Advertisement

i did manage to limp to the shops, limp home slowly in second gear. ( luckily it happened in Perth and not on freeway coming home, might have been a slow trip home!)

Now I am wondering if anyone in Perth has a clutch cable to suit. I think they also suit R12 but not sure.

Cheers Mark

I'm pretty sure I have one over in Adelaide town, which you could have for the cost of postage (whatever that might be). If you're interested, I'll have a look in the shed tonight and see if it looks worthy of sending.
    cheers,

John

Thanks John just PM me when you find it cheers

R12 clutch cable is longer, and has a different sheath stop which is not big enough for the R17 bracket. Not that you can't use it.

But why don't you just get one made? If you have the sheath (just for show and tell) any clutch place will be able to make you one, and it'll probably be much better than something that sat on a shelf for 40 years.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 15th January 2014 at 04:23 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Hi Mark, sorry I've either ditched the cable or relocated it somewhere safe. Can't find it anywhere
    cheers,

John

Thanks for trying. I have removed the cable so that I can have one made up to suit.

Cheers Mark

I took you advice and having one made up thanks.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    R12 clutch cable is longer, and has a different sheath stop which is not big enough for the R17 bracket. Not that you can't use it.

But why don't you just get one made? If you have the sheath (just for show and tell) any clutch place will be able to make you one, and it'll probably be much better than something that sat on a shelf for 40 years.
    I have also used an R12 clutch cable after shortening it. Its really easy to do by cutting the sheaf & the inner cable with a 1mm cut off wheel (get no burrs).
    Make sure you swage on a new end at the clutch pedal end of the cable and not try to braze it as I did as it will come off over time as I found out.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thread Information