wanted: 406 HDI motor
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon9 wanted: 406 HDI motor

Killed the motor in the 406 - any chance of getting a replacement?

Advertisement

I'm interested in your crankshaft if it's salvageable.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

I will keep this in mind - but no decision until I know whether I gat a replacement motor or car.

1000+ Posts

Default Try

going back about 3 pages in the parts for sale section Lam Lam has MOTOR GEARBOX combo for $500 unless yours is common rail it aught to be the same, with the better Bosch pump .PUGS

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, but HDi = common rail

Fellow Frogger

Is it the same engine as the early C5 HDi? DW10?
    If you had a timing belt failure and smashed some of the rockers/fingers, there's a good chance you can fix it by changing those. They are often listed on eBay from the UK. Different story if you've ingested water and bent the rods. There will be a few dead C5's out there now as the AL4 usually dies first. One possible problem is to check the black will take the gearbox you have. I know the DW10B engines had different block castings for aoto and manual and Citroen only sold autos here.
    Last edited by David S; 26th January 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for that information. I have spent $ks on trying to fix a fuel contamination problem. At one stage we thought it had been fixed- ran for two hours and then stopped. Eventually we had to admit that we are beaten. So the motor turns over, nothing broken, but the fuel system still has a problem. I believe everything which should be done to clean it has been done. I had wondered about a C5 motor, but don't know if I want to try another experiment. Thanks, anyway. I will think about it. Because of the time spent getting to this stage (5 months) I have missed out on several great replacement cars, and now we know that we have reached the end with this motor there don't seem to be many manual HDis around. To make matters worst, the partner's Subaru RS 2.5 motor imploded at 140k a few weeks ago, so we are hoping 2013 might be a bit better

Fellow Frogger

It sounds like you really only need fuel system parts then. The series 1 C5 2.0 HDI has a potential problem with the fuse box that supplies the low pressure pump. When the contact on the supply pin eventually burns, the car will just stop dead. Maybe, your 406 has the same fuse box and/or problem? I know in the C5, the early HDi engines give very little trouble except for dumb things like the air hoses collapsing, tank not venting and forming a vacuum, dirty flow meters and that pump issue. In the C5, the injectors can go out of calibration with age and the injection system can compensate, but only so far. That doesn't stop it running though. Frustrating for you ...

1000+ Posts

We had a 306 HDI causing us grief had the mechanical pump re built ,still cutting out at 3800 /4000 fault code said low rail pressure, turned out the in tank pump wasn't delivering enough fuel to supply the pressure pump ecu shutting motor down ,replaced in tank pump ,no more problems ,you must be over it by now, if you change the engine will you change the tank and lines as well,have you had the fuel tested PUGS

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I'm interested in your crankshaft if it's salvageable.
    I replaced my 406 HDi engine late last year. I'll check with my mechanic on Tuesday about the crankshaft out of the old engine.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the imput - esp. about the fuel pump and fuses. I will ask a few more questions of the mechanic today- if they aren't too busy being flooded out. We have replaced the fuel pump and injectors and common rail with fully reconditioned units. It does seem that the problem might be somewhere other than the fuel system, unless some contaminant is still lurking in the tank and line ( which have already been thoroughly cleaned).

Fellow Frogger!

Bought a replacement car - motor no longer required

Fellow Frogger

That is a very well tried and proven solution!
    What car?

Thread Information