Renault Turbo Speedcar WINS in the West!
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default Renault Turbo Speedcar WINS in the West!

My 'Olde' friend Bob Goddard and I ventured down to Collie Speedway last night, with the Renault Turbo Speedcar, for the annual Laurie Mathews Memorial Speedcar Classic, with me as the only 'pit-crew'!

Laurie Mathews was a life long friend of Bob's and a fellow Speedcar driver from the age of 16. Bob and Laurie were born 6 minutes apart on 28th September 1941. Sadly Laurie lost his life in a road crash about 20 years ago when on his way to Sydney, from Perth, to compete in the Australian Speedcar Championship, when the racecar truck rolled over on the trip east, hence it meant a lot to Bob, who had not raced competitively for the past 22 years, to compete in this event.

Bob nominated to start rear of field as the car was new and he was a little rusty. he finished 5th in his first heat and then, again starting rear of field, he WON his second heat to be 7th highest qualifier on the night!

The gruelling 30 lap Feature race was a titanic battle of the 'Young Guns', with their factory built cars with $60,000 race engines, but Bob Goddard, in his homebuilt car with a 1998cc Fuego engine, with turbo and fuel injection, running on pure methanol, managed to go the full 30 laps without a fault, to finish 9th.

Advertisement

We had former Multi State and National Speedcar Champions, John Fenton and Keith Mann coming up and congratulating Bob on his amazing performance and the pits was 'abuzz' over bobs amazing win!

Despite not getting a 'podium' Bob was invited infield to address the crowd and to present the trophies to the place-geters. It was nostalgic night and Bob and I arrived home at 3am this morning, dirty, tired and dusty but ecstatic with our result!

Rod,

Just a question with no significant importance. Could there be any relation between Bob and Geoff Goddard. Geoff raced for the British Team in the 70's against the South Africans and then immigrated to ZA. This was oval track racing as well.

Regards
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

I love it...a fuego donk and a skilled driver giving the others a good run for their (large amounts of) money.

If there is one (and inead there is only one) reason I feel jealous of the west, it would be to do with the renault world you have created and are part of, Rod.

Jo

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I love it...a fuego donk and a skilled driver giving the others a good run for their (large amounts of) money.

If there is one (and inead there is only one) reason I feel jealous of the west, it would be to do with the renault world you have created and are part of, Rod.

Jo
    Thanks Jo your comment most appreciated and you are welcome to migrate to the West at anytime!

The reality is that Renault has been a part of my daily life since May 1959, when I was in the 2nd year of my apprenticeship and the company I then worked for became the Renault Distributors for WA, as a result 'Brand Renaul't and I became, aquaintences, friends, lovers, partners in a relationship which has, so far, lasted for 52 years and will probably last until the day that I die?

My 1st born was conceived in a Renault 4 van and my family company is called Billancourt Investments Pty Ltd and EVERY Motor Sport success, that I have ever achieved I did so in a Renault.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Rod,

Just a question with no significant importance. Could there be any relation between Bob and Geoff Goddard. Geoff raced for the British Team in the 70's against the South Africans and then immigrated to ZA. This was oval track racing as well.

Regards
    Frans
    Non that I am aware of Frans and Bob does not know Geoff.

VIP Sponsor

Had some feed back, last night, from the Chief Steward (Former State and National Champion Keith Mann) who advised that he had received a number of complaints, from some of 'top-dog' drivers that "Bob was going too slow, under the yellow lights, prior to re-starts".

Ha, ha....advantage Renault: Their reason for the complaint was that their highly stressed ultra expensive 'pedigree' 14.5:1CR race engines, have no low down torque, as they work on revs, in the range 8000 to 12000 rpm, whereas Bob's Fuego Turbo engine, running stock valves, cam and compression ratio, gets maximum torque around 3000 rpm, and as Speedcars have no clutch or gears (just a direct drive from crankshaft to pinion) means the cars following behind Bob, at race re-starts, are OFF their power band, so they cant accelerate as quickly as Bobs Renault and get left lagging at the re-starts.

My response was "Ok, so what speed does the Rule book specify"?
    Reply: "it states pole car must set the pace and circulate, under yellow caution lights at a 'reasonable' speed"
    My Response was "Well Bob's pace was reasonable, so go tell the jealous bastards to act like men and accept that it is now a fact that a 70 years old veteran with a road car engine CAN AND WILL SOMETIMES BEAT 'EM... So tell 'em to get over it and watch this space"!

Thread Information