Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut

The title should read Renault Turbo Speedcar Debut, sorry about the merged words, but the 'system' does not appear to permit me to edit the subject line?

Any way, now on to the subject...I turned the clock back 50 years tonight, when I pit crewed for my olde friend Bob Goddard at the Perth Motorplex (speedway). I was back there where it all began, 50 years ago. When in my late teens, and still an apprentice at the Renault Distributors in Perth WA, I hooked up with Bob, then himself an apprentice welder and steel fabricator, and we built, from scratch, a Speedcar powered by a le mans Healy motor. 50 years on and Bob has just finished building a new Speedcar, powered this time by a Renault Fuego 2 liter turbo engine, running electronic iinjection with methanol fuel.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Rod Slater; 14th November 2011 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    I turned the clock back 50 years tonight, when I pit crewed for my olde friend Bob Goddard at the Perth Motorplex (speedway). I was back there where it all began, 50 years ago. When in my late teens, and still an apprentice at the Renault Distributors in Perth WA, I hooked up with Bob, then himself an apprentice welder and steel fabricator, and we built, from scratch, a Speedcar powered by a le mans Healy motor. 50 years on and Bob has just finished building a new Speedcar, powered this time by a Renault Fuego 2 liter turbo engine, running electronic iinjection with methanol fuel.

Rod,
    Have you got any pics to put on here?
    Bob Goddard the "Don Quixote" of WA Speedway Not meant unkindly, he will be in the speedway annals long after others are forgotten.

Oh. How went the night at Kwinana?

VIP Sponsor

I did take some pics with my phone, but not sure how to get them onto aussiefrogs, but I'm going to email them to myself, then save to my picture file, then try to upload to this thread, here's hoping the pic that appears here will in fact be the pic of Bob's Renault Turbo Speedcar and NOT the ones of Debbie (former G/F) who recently emailed a pic of herself stepping out of the shower!... here goes

Grrrr.... now cant find the pictures !!!!
    Last edited by Rod Slater; 13th November 2011 at 10:38 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Try again!

Ok, looks like I've got some pics up now, lets see?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut-renault-turbo-speedcar1.jpg   Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut-renault-turbo-speedcar2.jpg   Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut-renault-turbo-speedcar3.jpg  

I did take some pics with my phone, but not sure how to get them onto aussiefrogs, but I'm going to email them to myself, then save to my picture file, then try to upload to this thread, here's hoping the pic that appears her will in fact be the pic of Bob's Renault Turbo Speedcar and NOT the ones of Debbie (former G/F) who recently emailed a pic of herself stepping out of the shower!... here goes

Grrrr.... now cant find the pictures !!!!
    Send them all...

Hang on, how old is debbie.....Maybe just the car shots.

Jo

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Send them all...

Hang on, how old is debbie.....Maybe just the car shots.

Jo
    One should never ask a Girl her age, but that does not mean that I cant tell, does it?

Deb is 26 years younger than me.... Damn, now where did I file that photo?

VIP Sponsor

Default More pics of Renault Turbo Speedcar

Couple more shots taken at the Motorplex of Bob Goddard's Renault Turbo Speedcar.

Going to organise a Saturday afternoon 'Sausage Sizzle' down at the new yard (French & Fantastic Automobiles) for the perth 'Aussiefroggers', so we will role the Speedcar out and fire it up so you can hear the sweet sound!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut-renault-tuebo-speedcar5.jpg   Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut-renault-turbo-speedcar3.jpg   Renault Turbo Speedcarcdebut-renault-turbo-speedcar4.jpg  

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I thought you were gonna put the pics of the 26 year old.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    I thought you were gonna put the pics of the 26 year old.
    No, Debbie's not 26, she is 26 years YOUNGER than me! Oh and she does drive a red 306 Convertible, which she has been driving since late 1999.

If i can find a pic of her and the 306 (with her clothes on) I will post it!

Actually, the engine in the Speedcar is 26, as it came from a 1985 Fuego.

VIP Sponsor

Default Event results

The 'Magic Man 34' is a 34 lap Speedcar race, held annually, to honour the life of Michael Figliomeni, who died at the track a few years ago, and who earned the nickname 'Magic Man' as he could win in almost any car he stepped into, be it Speedcars, Sedan cars or Sprint cars.

So prestigeous has this event become that drivers fly to Perth from USA and NZ, to drive local cars, whilst others tow thier cars from as far away as QLD.

For the past 3 years American Davey Ray has flown in from USA, to drive the 'Synergy' powered car, this was built in NZ and uses 2 x 1200cc Kawasaki motor cycle engines, mounted on a common crankcase, to provide a 2.4 litre V8.

And again Davey ray won the magic man 34, last Saturday night, making him a 3 times winner of this star studded event.

2nd place went to local, second generation driver, Scott Glazebrook

3rd place went to USA driver Kevin Swindell, son of the great USA Sprintcar driver , Sammy Swindell.

2 x 1200cc Kawasaki motor cycle engines, mounted on a common crankcase, to provide a 2.4 litre V8.
    Wow, what does that sound like, and do you know what its rev limit is????

Jo

About 7 years ago Simon Longdill joined us at the Hamilton Fiat Club (my car club because there isn't a Renault club) with a Peugeot 205 that he turboed himself. Her he took part in the local Motorkhanas and Hillclimbs. A very neat job at that time and the car became very quick. He played around with his own version of electronic traction control as well.

He went on to design this 2400 V8 and it was successful for a few years already. I think Rod will know but this is not the first time. The V8's rev up to 12000 and can produce 500 hp normally aspirated. I think there is a turbo version as well.

Regards
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Wow, what does that sound like, and do you know what its rev limit is????

Jo
    Jo, it sounds awesome and revs to around 12,000 rpm!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    About 7 years ago Simon Longdill joined us at the Hamilton Fiat Club (my car club because there isn't a Renault club) with a Peugeot 205 that he turboed himself. Her he took part in the local Motorkhanas and Hillclimbs. A very neat job at that time and the car became very quick. He played around with his own version of electronic traction control as well.

He went on to design this 2400 V8 and it was successful for a few years already. I think Rod will know but this is not the first time. The V8's rev up to 12000 and can produce 500 hp normally aspirated. I think there is a turbo version as well.

Regards
    Frans
    Hi Fran's, I was fortunate to meet Simon, when he first brought this car to Perth, a lovely and very talented engineer. I understand he is now supplying engines to various levels of motor sport, but here in Australia, capacity for a turbo engine, in speedcars, is limited to 2 litre.

Thread Information