Dusty Minis
  • Help

Thread: Dusty Minis

Default Dusty Minis

Copied from another thread,

I entered the "Australian Hay Mini Nationals" on the weekend in my 205 Mini French car.

1500km round trip for 161.10 seconds of competitive driving .

There were 100 entrants (Only 4 non-Minis).

I met a couple of aussiefroggers there too.

Amongst the entrants would have to be the best motorkhana drivers in Australia.

I finished 22nd outright (& First Peugeot ). I was beaten into submission by 1 Mazda 121, 12 Mokes and of course a few Minis. (results can be found on Mini Car Club SA site). Dinky Toys are very small and hard to beat. The 205 looks like a cement truck in comparison to the Minis.

What an event there is more pressure on the Mini entrants here than the Australian National Motorkhana Championships.

All the top runners on their brand new tyres (Only road tyres allowed for this dirt event).

A few sheep stations changed hands on the day.

The best and most exciting part of the day was after the main motorkhana was run.
    They run a shoot out (for Mini sedans only). "State against State, Mate against Mate".
    Two 3 flag straight slaloms are set up side by side and pairs compete one run each lane, starting on a light system, loser on total time out, until all the classe winners are finalised, then the class winners knock each other out.
    What a great and exciting spectator event !!!! (let alone the nervous sweat that pores out of the drivers). Note the biggest motors don't always win. The winner was in a 1275 cooper and he just beat an 1100.

I think I would be prepared to drive to Hay (1500km round trip) just to watch this Shoot out.

I had a great time (and only one Police Officer blinked his roof lights at me, I still can't get the car over 5600rpm in 5th).

Advertisement

If you are ever driving past Hay on the Sunday of the Queen's Birthday weekend drop in and have a look. Locals will direct you to the event. The event has now been run for over 40 years.

GET A MINI?????
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Default I was one of the dusty Minis!

An oft quoted line when one drives a Mini is "Size doesn't matter"

I was runner up two years ago in the "Hay's Heroes" shootout in my 1098cc Mini against a hot 1275. He won by less than half a second (Bugger!) It's really all about tyres, limited slip diffs and hydraulic handbrakes. Without the last two, a top 20 spot is difficult to achieve, especially with my mediocre skills.

Hay has been running for 44 years. I've been going for about 12 or 13. It's a bit like the Renault Club's "Jugiong" in that the location was chosen as being roughly equidistant from Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney. The event is sponsored by the Hay Shire amongst other businesses, notably Lugsdin Toyota. Ian Lugsdion (Luggo) provides his front paddock as the ground for the event, which is greatly appreciated. Hard to believe that only a couple or three years ago we were paddling around the same paddock in mud up to the gunwales.

Your 205 fitted like a glove in the event as far as I'm concerned. My 205 driving son has always reckoned they're a Mini on steroids. (He cut his driving and competition teeth in the blue Deluxe). The winning car (Mazda 121) has caused a lot of heated discussion in Mini circles, not the least because it (a) won and (b) beat all the Minis and (c) was driven by a sheila. If I could drive like Corinne I'd be a very happy man! The event has a long tradition of "run what yer brung" and in past years a lot of fun was had by people driving their tow cars in the mon-Mini classes. I suspect a rule change will result form this year's happenings, but that's life.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Having done many different events over quite a few years with Citroen, Peugeot, Renault and Mini people, I keep coming back the the fun we can have in Minis. I'm reflecting on the possibility that most Mini drivers just don't take life too seriously. (Except for those who want to win at all costs, and every Club has those). And the people of Hay have been welcoming free spending Mini Maniacs back every year with friendly smiles and lot's of support. It all makes for a top weekend.

For the record, I had a clean and faultless run in the motorkhana and couldn't have driven any faster. This year I was 52/100. My all time best was (I think) 25/70 a few years back, also in the blue Deluxe.

Also for the record, my Mini has a standard diff and handbrake, half worn Kumho tyres and was driven to and from the event (from Melbourne) which it did comfortably and faultlessly.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Also for the record, my Mini has a standard diff and handbrake, half worn Kumho tyres and was driven to and from the event (from Melbourne)

Cheers, Pottsy
    There's your problem. The ones that win get trailered there...
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    The 205 looks like a cement truck in comparison to the Minis
    And here's an interesting comparison, too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dusty Minis-retrogrossmini.jpg  
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petitepoupée View Post
    And here's an interesting comparison, too!
    well they did have to improve the crumple zone somehow in them so size was the option

the old minis front impact crumple zone normally ended at the boot lid
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    well they did have to improve the crumple zone somehow in them so size was the option

the old minis front impact crumple zone normally ended at the boot lid
    It's interesting to read stories abbout Sir Alec Issigonis (grovel, genuflect) whose design philosophy was to "Make cars that are safer because they're more responsive so you can AVOID a crash!" Certainly little thought was put in to such things as crumple zones because it had to be as light as possible.

That being said, the body of a classic Mini is a surprisingly rigid structure, and standard ones have survived quite remarkable impacts and rollovers without too much damage to the occupants.

Perhaps the best example of this is the pictures of the Mini vs Citroen coming together that put Bianchi & Ogier out of the 1968 London to Sydney. The two cars met head on RH corner to RH corner, and both the Mini's occupants walked away (bruised and battered but alive and intact), whereas Bianchi in the RH seat copped a broken leg.

I've got to say, however, that when driving my Brick I'm extra aware of what's happening around me as I don't want to test the hypothesis by re-enacting the equivalent of slamming into a couple of ton of French metal travelling at rally speeds!

Oh, and just while I'm in the area, so to speak, Issigonis was also inspired by the 2CV's design to the extent of being part of the development of the English version of the 2CV suspension, the Hydrolastic System. Mine's a hydro car and I can't wait to compare it with Alphonse! (It certainly rides better than a standard rubber suspended model!)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Thread Information