Helmets??
  • Help

Thread: Helmets??

Default Helmets??

G'day all,

I'm wondering where in north western melbourne i can get a CAMS approved helmet? I tried the usual motor bike places and stuff but the think they won't be CAMS approved!

Thanks Chris

Advertisement
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

mlb

What level of motorsport are you aiming at. According to Schedule D of the Manual of Motorsport, Australian Standard AS1698 is sufficient for all events up to, but not including, International level. There are only some restrictions on whether it can be open face depending on the event.

Have a look here http://www.camsmanual.com.au/10_gen_req.asp and follow the link to Apparel.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

90% of motorcycle helmets are approved.

Make sure you get a double d latched one and not a plastic slide.

Print off page 5 - http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_...ule_D_Q211.pdf and take it with you into the shop. I'd recommend trying a bunch of different helmets on as they all tend to fit differently.

In the Cams manual a couple of retailers advertise apparel...

Look up
    Meridian Motorsport - Moorabbin
    Concept Racegear - Cheltenham
    Revolution Race Gear - all over the place.

Cheers.

Chris

As In understand it, as long as a helmet has the Australian Standard 1698 sticker on it, then CAMS will accept it.

This standard is also the base for all helmets sold in Australia as far as I know.

I bought mine from a bike shop in Bell St about 8 years ago. It's passed scrutiny on many occasions.

The discussion on just how much you value your head is another thing entirely. Many people feel that you should buy the best possible helmet to provide the best possible protection. This is up to you to decide. My personal feeling was to go with a basic helmet.

But as far as CAMS regs are concerned, as long as it's an AS1698 approved one in good condition, and preferably no stickers to (potentially) hide damage, I believe you should have no troubles.

Hope this helps, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

When you discover how expensive the good ones are, you will be tempted to buy the cheaper one. Don't. You only get one head. Save money on shoes - you get two feet.

Whatever you buy, look after it. If it doesn't come with a padded bag, buy one and use it. Don't let it roll around in the back of the car. Scrutineers are getting fussier, and a few scrapes and scratches are enough, with some of them, to rule your helmet out.

Tim

Yes and no to that Tim. Bike helmets, both good and bad, unlike white motorsport helmets, are a fashion statement. So bike shops early in the year are very keen to unload last year's stock. You might still pick up a fast looking 2010 helmet cheap.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

mlb

My first few helmets for Karts and Club events were cheap motorcycle helmets from the local bike shop. All around the $100-$150 mark. Complied with Australian Standards and never had any problems with scrutineers.

Once the demands increased though so did my need for a proper helmet, and I upgraded accordingly. The advice is to buy the best helmet you can afford. I've heard the old saying 'have a $100 head, buy a $100 helmet' but in all honesty they all meet the same standards as a minimum requirement, so it's not as if you're strapping an ice-cream container to your head and hoping for the best. Where the more expensive helmets differ is comfort, soundproofing, and other things such as better intercoms etc. So you need to also consider how long you will have the helmet on. If you're only going to be wearing it at hillclimbs for 1-2 minutes at a time in a reasonably paced car, then you don't need the top of the range. But if you're wearing it all day in the bush or at the track, then comfort is an issue and worth spending a bit more on. Similarly if you're driving an overpowered rocket.

I recently upgraded my old Arai GP to this year's Stilo and couldn't believe the difference. The comfort is outstanding, and it is that well soundproofed that people were talking to me and I just didn't hear them - I suppose they just assumed I was one of those rude tarmac rally types

As for where to buy them, if you want something above your standard bike helmet and prefer a more motorsport oriented one, then don't discount ordering online. I've had minor dealings with autosportdirect.com.au and their prices and delivery are reasonable. Most of my stuff comes from the UK from either Nicky Grist or Rally Nuts whose prices are very competitive and the stuff arrives here normally within the week. My last order was made on a Friday and arrived on my doorstep the following Wednesday.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

I just checked back to this thread and realised that I'd simply re-stated the standard as specified in the links provided above.

Sorry guys, blame it on old age.

In any case, having now checked the links, Chris, the "B" standard of helmet is one complying with AS1698 and this is the requirement for pretty much anything up to National competition level, so my remarks from my previous post still stand as far as acceptability (and eligibility) are concerned.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

COL

Default Buying Helmets

Hi All

Another tip when buying helmets is to buy one that is plain, as in only one colour.
    If you want the latest Rossi or Webber helmet graphics you will pay a premium for the flashy design, But the helmet gives no better protection than a plain coloured one
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Red ones make you go faster tho!

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi All

Another tip when buying helmets is to buy one that is plain, as in only one colour.
    If you want the latest Rossi or Webber helmet graphics you will pay a premium for the flashy design, But the helmet gives no better protection than a plain coloured one
    Last year/month/week's livery can also sometimes be had at a discount.

Bike shops will give you the best range. Make sure you get a bag to keep it in too - scruitineers don't like scratched skid-lids.

We've got a "HJC" and something else in the cupboard. Both were had for reasonable money, and are comfortable enough.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Hey all thanks for the replies.

My sort of motorsport doesnt get any higher than DECA. I'm planning to do a couple of hill climbs but just club stuff. I'm using a standard mi16 that the fastest part about is that its red. So I wont go to fast.

I'll check out the bike stores again with my new infomation and this time should have luck! I think a cheap plain brain bucket is the one for my mug!!

cheers Chris
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    G'day all,

I'm wondering where in north western melbourne i can get a CAMS approved helmet? I tried the usual motor bike places and stuff but the think they won't be CAMS approved!

Thanks Chris

I have a couple of helmets an expensive $1000 + Hans brace for racing, rallies and the serious stuff

and a ERG http://www.speedzone.com.au/trader.a...&fromtrader=24

$299 one for 'speed events' like kanacrosses ect when the risk is much reduced.

Both fit there respective purposes perfectly.

There is a note - got a cheap head? get a cheap helmet!!!

Fellow Frogger!

chris
    there used to be a fair dinkum race sports shop up on sydney rd somewhere near stuckey tyres -dad may recall the mob otherwise google something like motor race gear+sydney rd+coburg.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Maxi View Post
    I have a couple of helmets an expensive $1000 + Hans brace for racing, rallies and the serious stuff

and a ERG http://www.speedzone.com.au/trader.a...&fromtrader=24

$299 one for 'speed events' like kanacrosses ect when the risk is much reduced.

Both fit there respective purposes perfectly.

There is a note - got a cheap head? get a cheap helmet!!!
    Or don't employ less than competent people to either work on your car, or drive it!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I know this sounds stupid, but i dont think my mi16 will let me go fast enough to need the helmet, it never has. Its not a serious race car, just wanna have some in my road car. Or at least if i ever need one it shouldnt be bad enought to need a $1000 one. I know one day i will probably need one and will say "shouda bought the good one" (if I'm alive) but for now I dont have much money so a nice cheap one will do. Anyway wouldn't a motor bike one be good since a biker doesn't have much protection around him?

I'm suprised of how many people care about my head!!

Thanks Chris.
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Administrator

I think the ice cream container idea should do the trick...

Fellow Frogger!

Default Date is important

G/DAY ALL,
    Always Check the date of manufacture inside the helmet as the linings are designed to last about 10 years and then start to fall to bits, I've got a AGV kevlar glass helmet that looks brand new but the linings all fallen to bits.
    Cheers Peter.

Administrator

$89 for a new helmet? Seems pretty good value.

They have both AS1698 and SNELL approval, so they can be used in CAMS events.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FULL-FACE...item3a65d85eca

HJC is a Korean company who started off making helmets for riot squads. They also make the Harley-Davidson branded helmets.

The AS1698 is a must, but fit is also really important.

I have always prefered Arai and Shoei (both expensive) as they fit my bollard head a little better.

The 1698 test is where they drop a sharpened weight from a set distance onto the helmet. If the shell isn't penetrated it passes. Hardly crash conditions.

I wouldn't wear a cheap helmet. Not much between my ears to begin with; I had might as well look after what's left.

Look at something plain from a recognised brand around $300 and you should be right.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    The 1698 test is where they drop a sharpened weight from a set distance onto the helmet. If the shell isn't penetrated it passes. Hardly crash conditions.
    Dave
    Not quite. A helmet that complies with AS1698 has to pass impact, penetration, head deceleration and strap security tests.

A helmet that passes the AS is usually thicker (and heavier) than most other standards because of the penetration test.

In the penetration test, a spear point (of a certain weight) is dropped from a height of 3M, and it must not penetrate the shell. The shell has to be thicker to pass.

IMO, the main advantage in a more expensive helmet is the comfort and details such as liner quality, visor seal etc. That may be important if you spend all day on a bike, but perhaps not so for the odd hill climb or sprint.

Thread Information