Targa Tasmania
  • Help

Thread: Targa Tasmania

Fellow Frogger!

Default Targa Tasmania

Hey all, ive for a couple of years now thinking about entering a worthy car for a shot at Targa, the 180 is easily up for the challenge.....i just wonder if I am, haha.

Have any of u given it a go? I know its not cheap but u wont find another 40 odd stages of intense motorsports on public roads like it either! Anyone else think they would consider it for next year?, or posssibly a late 2011 entry?

Keen to hear ur thoughts and stories, i have a frend who has raced Targa for 5 years now, lives in launceston, as does my mother (free accom), and ill be taking a fully crewed and kitted workshop with me

Cheers Matt

Advertisement

Have you done any Tarmac Rallies before?

Targa Tassie is one of the big ones. I thought about this once upon a time but after some research it figured out that Targa is no the one to start with. Maybe one of the Dutton Rallies.

If otherwise, have a group of mates who can help with the "keeping the car mechanically sound" duties.

Have you decided on a class to enter?

Chris

Targa Tassie has a lot of entry fee ,, $8500 plus the ferry ride $4000 with tow car and trailer BUT has very limited milage .

Most of the stages are very short , less then 10km. The total compeditive distance would be run as a one day gravel event .

Lots of waiting around.

There was an attempt a few years ago to greate a 206 GTi 180 class , did not really get of the ground.

Andy
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Targa Tassie has a lot of entry fee ,, $8500 plus the ferry ride $4000 with tow car and trailer BUT has very limited milage .

Most of the stages are very short , less then 10km. The total compeditive distance would be run as a one day gravel event .

Lots of waiting around.

There was an attempt a few years ago to greate a 206 GTi 180 class , did not really get of the ground.

Andy
    Ferry ride $4000?
    I am spending $340 to take me and the 205 over and back for an event at the end of May.
    Navigator goes over by cheap flight.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Four Targas - we punched way above our weight. Better than sex, but vastly more expensive. as Andy has pointed out. You don't need a service crew, or mobile workshop. You need a very well prepared car, which you drive to finish. That way, you kick the tyres of an evening, and get on the piss. Anything else is obsessive and stupid. You are NOT going to win - keep this in mind, always.

Tim

we do it in nz too - http://www.targa.co.nz/2011-Targa-New-Zealand_1010.aspx

4k would no doubt get your car over here for the week lone event.

Also you should come do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcWKUVqxNds

18km - 1000m vertical climb - 113 corners...
    Last edited by DRTDVL; 13th April 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

yeah 4k for the ferry over isnt right, its not even close to that much, this has nothing to do with the money, its about the experience, as suggested better than sex!!! money is forever replaceable, once in a lifetime experiences are not! I only have a prepped crew because i live and breathe cars and anything related to them, and yes im glad it was raised that u build the car to finish...looking forward to it, its gunna be a blast

Thanks for pointing out my poor typing and proof reading skills the price of the ferry ride was ment to be $400 , still thats more then the entry fee of most 200km compeditive AMSAG gravel events.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

my appologies Rally, wasnt to have a dig

I was a Targa official for the first 11 years it ran. Most fun I had was running round the state in a Mercedes 'C' class with Lin Gigney as my driver (I think I was chief time keeper that year?) Lin cooked the brakes on the first day, but I think they put some different pads in over night, stopped much better on day 2. Did a fantastic standing lap around Symmonds Plains, only a few seconds slower than the V8 supercars of the day.
    Worst day was the year I had to put 3 paramedics in the back of my RV6 to get them to a crash scene on the Gunns Plains stage where we extracted a couple of very sorry guys from a very broken Porsche. I can tell you that with the back seats down you can get 5 people including one on a spine board in the back of an RV6 for a very slow trip back to the ambulance.
    Favourite car was the old blue Galaxy that kept coming back year after year, always sideways, always full noise and what a looker.
    Most increadible car - Geoff Beebles purple Nissan. Honestly, I watched it tear 2 great strips clean out of the tarmac at the start of the Moriarty stage one year when I was stage commander there.
    Hardest part of the job - getting 30 - 50 other people out on the stage while it is still dark to set it up in Winter conditions.
    Best competitors - without a doubt Jim Richards and Barry Oliver, considerate, approachable, know how to prepare a car and look after it, and they are quick.
    Haven't lived in Tassi for a few years now, but I have been tempted to put a road legal exhaust back on my 405, get a club rego and enter it. Maybe 2013 if still running.

Fellow Frogger!

wow, what memories u would have, im looking forward to creating a few of my own 2012 i hope will be my year to start, it was ment to be this year for the 2011 20 years of targa however scrutineering didnt like my car hahaha, bastids lol.
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

mlb

As Tim said, at the average man's level, you're not going to win, so the piece of silverware you're aiming for should only be the finisher's medallion - anything above that is a bonus, whether it's completing it under trophy time or a class win. A lot of people come unstuck by allowing the red mist to descend and start pushing themselves beyond their limits and that of the car. That's not saying don't have a crack, but finishing should be the main aim.

Also there is no need for going over the top with service. Providing you're mechanically capable, then someone to carry spares and fuel around for you is all you need. Sure the big teams have the big crews, but they also have the big budget. Again if you drive sensibly in a well prepared car, then service looks after itself. If absolutely required then there are a lot of local business around Launceston that are more than happy to keep their doors open for competitors - you just need to know who to ask.

One thing I will suggest is make sure you're both wearing a HANS device. After a mate of mine smacked into a bank head on during Targa High Country I've vowed never to do another tarmac rally without one. The speeds can be a lot greater than on gravel, and things can go pear shaped a lot quicker.

So I would say go for it, but just remember to treat the event for what it is. A social event between like-minded people and the chance to do skids on roads you would normally not get the chance to. Maybe as a taster you could come down in January and give Targa Wrest Point a go. Only two days and entry fee is about a quarter of TT. Similarly there's Targa High Country in Victoria later this year - the only down side is it's not Tassie and the roads have a slightly different character to them.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Good point on the HANS device, its on my list of bits to buy, i wont be racing that evnt without one!!!, as for all the talk on service crews, if u have master techs and engineers who never got the chance to race targa themselves, but pioneered lakeside in MGs back in the day and want to come be apart of the action a la pit crew.....why the hell not? lol. we are just going to have a blast, ive driven a fair few of the stages in mums car (hehehe mk 4 golf), and now the bug has bitten
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by WRC180 View Post
    as for all the talk on service crews, if u have master techs and engineers who never got the chance to race targa themselves, but pioneered lakeside in MGs back in the day and want to come be apart of the action a la pit crew.....why the hell not?
    Because they weigh you down, and are one more thing that needs organising, feeding, and accommodating.

Tim

start with either high country or wrest point like matt says, cheaper and better starting points. The boat with tow car and trailer and a cabin both ways is about 1500 and you need a budget of at least 20k to do targa not including your car.

Thread Information