Mi16 XU9J4 engine into a rear wheel drive?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Mi16 XU9J4 engine into a rear wheel drive?

Anyone heard about or had any experience putting an 1.9ltr Mi16 (XU9J4) engine into a rear wheel drive car?

I had a XU9J4 and it ran flawlessly, eventhough it had done almost 300k and had no major rebuilding work done. It ran way smoother than my XU10J4 which has only done 170k.

I'm thinking about putting a an XU9J4 (as they're cheap for how good they are!) into my old Porshe 924 which has a rear transaxle.

So I'd like to know if anyone has any info about modifying the engine to place in a rear wheel drive car (without the transmission).

Owen

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

On the one hand, it's almost the perfect engine for the car, and the only problems would be the engine mounts and how to attach the torque tube (I'm assuming the setup is similar to the 928).

On the other hand, it just doesn't rhyme. The car cries out for a Golf donk, preferably one of the late model turbocharged ones. And there is plenty of off the shelf performance gear for the Golf.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

You're right an Audi or VW engine would be easier. I like the idea of a German car with French power though.

I'm not sure about the 928 setup. But probably similar, but stronger components.

Yeah the torque tube may be an issue. Also, the engine might run quite differently with a bit of added weight from the torque shaft.

I'll do some sizing up and see how it looks.

Tadpole

If you are asking how to screw the XU to the Porche torque tube, I don't know.

If however you are asking how to mount the engine, I have some pictures of the Berkeley with the XU10 in it.

I don't know how comparable (or useful) it might be as the Berk' is tube frame, and the engine is solid mount.

The thread I originally posted them in is gone, let me know if you want to see them, I'll be happy to post what I still have, but I can't do that frommy handheld (that's what I'm posting this with).

Of course I know where a few 92X Porsces are, they likely have engines that are shot, along with other bits, I keep having delusions of craming a LS Chevy V8 into one, even though that's off topic here.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxussian View Post
    If you are asking how to screw the XU to the Porche torque tube, I don't know.

If however you are asking how to mount the engine, I have some pictures of the Berkeley with the XU10 in it.

I don't know how comparable (or useful) it might be as the Berk' is tube frame, and the engine is solid mount.

The thread I originally posted them in is gone, let me know if you want to see them, I'll be happy to post what I still have, but I can't do that frommy handheld (that's what I'm posting this with).

Of course I know where a few 92X Porsces are, they likely have engines that are shot, along with other bits, I keep having delusions of craming a LS Chevy V8 into one, even though that's off topic here.
    Some photos of the engine bay and connection to the torque tube would be great, if you can post them up.

I've heard about the Chev V8 implant into 924s and 944s. That's be too much power for what I'm looking for though.

I've got a 924 with its original 2ltr 8 valve engine, but its pretty heavy for the power it produces.

I'd ultimately like to have a light rear-wheel drive track car with a 2ltr engine, but it'd probably be smarter to get rid of the 924 and get a 944 with a 2.5ltr engine.

I'd still be keen to see your photos though!

Thread Information