Phillip Island Classics This Weekend
  • Help

Default Phillip Island Classics This Weekend

If you're at a loose end, or even if you're not, this is the race meeting to attend.

You can wander through the pits up close and personal with some of the World's, and Australia's, best classic race cars. Look them over and under, talk to the drivers and crews. It's a simply wonderful atmosphere for any petrol head.

Advertisement

Forget the AGP where cars are roped off in the middle distance, this is REAL racing.

I can't recommend it high enough. Way more info than I can supply is available here: http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island.htm

If you get there, look for Moby Dick (now stickerless in pristine white) parked beside Turn 3.5 (Just before Honda Corner.) I'll be the bloke with the headphones on at the trackside flag point.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Well if you didn't go you missed a cracker of a race meeting.

Star of the show, to me at least, was a 1906 Darracq grand prix car, driven by a young lady who must have bigger gonads than most blokes. No seat belts and doing over 80mph down the straight, not to mention powersliding through turn 4! All this on a platform holding wheels, seat and engine. No frills like bodywork for this beast!

Until we found out her gender, we were calling the driver "Senior Stig" because of the white race suit and helmet, but this changed to Sheila Stig later on. Watching her lean into corners really took me back to the golden days of motor racing. Impressive.

Also running was Hizzonner John Hardy in the A110 Alpine, and Bob Pinkerton in his Peugeot special.

The Shannons Run was disappointing (frog wise) with only a nice R8 Gordini to represent the country. Don't know whose it was, but well turned out nonetheless.

My vote for most spectacular engine failure was Rusty French in the big black Porsche. His turbos blew just as he passed me at Turn 3 and there were flames streaming 10 feet behind him. He lost a few friends when he continued straight back to the pits with flames still leaping out of the back!

There were, of course, some other magnificent cars there. A Ferrari or two and not one but three Maserati 250F grand prix cars. I couldn't resist a shot of the engine bay. I'll never be that neat! Simply beautiful.

And I couldn't resist taking a shot of the Ferrari at the base of the tower just as the sun came up on Sunday morning.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-bob-pinkerton.jpg   Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-darracq-1906-1.jpg   Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-darracq-1906-2.jpg   Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-darracq-1906-hard-work.jpg   Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-hardy-alpine.jpg   Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-sunrise-pi.jpg  

Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-gordini-8.jpg   Phillip Island Classics This Weekend-maserati-engine.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Great photos Pottsy,how did they get around the CAMS reg requiring a firewall between the engine and the driver?.

I think the regs for Historic racing are way different. Since a 1906 car wasn't subject to any of those regs at the time, it's accepted that the driver's taking the risk I suppose.

It was at least fitted with a fire extinguisher!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

COL

Default Phillip Island Classic

Hi All

Was a great weekend, loved the racing and the variety of cars
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Pottsy

A few PCCV members were spectating at the exit road near Honda and we spotted a white Citroen at a flagmarshalling point and we speculated 'Ah that might be pottsy' and we were right!
    Last edited by OddFireV6; 22nd March 2011 at 12:11 PM.
    OddfireV6

Peugeot 504 PRV V6 24Valve Autronic ECU
    Peugeot 203, warmed 1500

Ahh, yes. I love this meeting - traveling down from Sydney every year for it.

Got some photos of Voiturettes Francais myself...

Moxo

Video from onboard the 1906 Darracq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjG1U-DGgU

I've learned that the engine and other major parts are original / restored, but the chassis is a recreation.

Moxo

Thread Information