bonnet fastening
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default bonnet fastening

For some speed events you need a 2ndary bonnet fastening. What do people use on road cars when you don't want to fit pins?

Advertisement
    unfrogged (for now)

A strap from the latch down the front to a support somewere under the car/bumper. But it looks dodgy & some stewards don't allow it, so.... - Check
    ... ptui!

A stainless steel cable with clips on the end is acceptable. I

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    A stainless steel cable with clips on the end is acceptable. I
    Does it need to be taut? (thinking about cosmetic damage underneath)
    unfrogged (for now)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    For some speed events you need a 2ndary bonnet fastening. What do people use on road cars when you don't want to fit pins?
    What car is it?

If by speed event you mean sprints and hillclimbs etc, any car manufactured after 1976 (from memory) automatically complies as it has to have two mechanisims to pass ADR (the main lock and the saftey catch). If both are operational all is fine.

It is quite clearly written in the CAMS manual.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    What car is it?

If by speed event you mean sprints and hillclimbs etc, any car manufactured after 1976 (from memory) automatically complies as it has to have two mechanisims to pass ADR (the main lock and the saftey catch). If both are operational all is fine.

It is quite clearly written in the CAMS manual.
    205. Well that sounds good, but now I'm a bit puzzled. If that counts as a primary and secondary method of fastening the bonnet, why do people use straps and steel wires on more recent cars?
    unfrogged (for now)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    205. Well that sounds good, but now I'm a bit puzzled. If that counts as a primary and secondary method of fastening the bonnet, why do people use straps and steel wires on more recent cars?
    I read the Cams Manual again, and it is the wording that confuses the issue.

...Two Independent Bonnet Fastening Systems on every Hinged Bonnet. Except that bodily unmodified production cars manufactured after 1/1/73, and other cars as specifically approved by CAMS, and which are fitted with forward hinged bonnets may utilise the original, unmodified manufacturer’s component for closing the bonnet, without the use of a secondary restraint mechanism.

Now I'm not so sure. I know I've raised this with scrutineers before.

Do they mean - A - Cars manufactured after 1/1/73 with forward hinged bonnets? or do they meanB - Cars manufactured after 1/1/73 and cars with forward hinged bonnets?

If they mean B, then it should be worded -
    Two Independent Bonnet Fastening Systems on every Hinged Bonnet. Except cars specifically approved by CAMS, and bodily unmodified production cars manufactured after 1/1/73 which are fitted with forward hinged bonnets. These vehicles may utilise the original, unmodified manufacturer’s component for closing the bonnet, without the use of a secondary restraint mechanism.

Fellow Frogger!

Grammar eh? Who needs it?!
    unfrogged (for now)

Thread Information