McLaren Chromed
  • Help

Thread: McLaren Chromed

Default McLaren Chromed

New McLaren colours.
    It's chrome on 2006.

Kind of 'back to the future DeLorean' feeling although DMC was brushed stainless steel.

Advertisement

Looks awesome

GO KIMI!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

is that the new colour scheme for sure??

thats awesome!!

www.McLaren.com wrote: Woking, Great Britain, Friday 10th February 2006: The Team McLaren Mercedes Formula One team has revealed a unique new car livery which will adorn the team's cars in the future.

The new livery has an innovative surface coating, which achieves a high level of reflectivity. The technology used was perfected by McLaren during the past six months and is completely new to Formula One.

"A lot of research and months of work have gone into creating this unique chrome finish," explained McLaren Marketing Managing Director Ekrem Sami. "We are always looking at innovative ways to allow our sponsor partners to differentiate their brands from the competition through their partnership with the team and this unique livery is designed to be extremely photogenic. Team McLaren Mercedes had the highest audited 'Share of TV Voice' in 2005 - and we hope that this new identity will contribute to us retaining that status."

"When we created our previous livery in the mid nineties we established what we believed then was an innovative and groundbreaking new identity for McLaren Mercedes," continued Sami. "What we have launched today is as revolutionary and we hope it will be the foundation of the team's livery for many years to come."

The team can look back on a lot of success during the nine years of the former livery. At the very first race after its introduction in Melbourne in 1997 the team won and since then it has taken nearly 30 per cent of all Grands Prix victories.

The team took the opportunity to show the new livery to McLaren Group and Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines employees this evening. Two of the Groups better known personalities, drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya, were both impressed with their cars' 'new clothes'.

"I have only seen illustrations of the new livery until now but they do it no justice," said Kimi. "It looks fantastic and should create a bit of a stir when we drive it on tracks around the world. If we can make the car as fast as it looks then we will be in good shape."

"Wow," said Juan Pablo. "What a beautiful looking car. I have obviously been testing the MP4- 21 quite a bit already but seeing the car like this is something else."

damn, looks hot!

Go Kimi
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

1000+ Posts

everything in drivers view isnt black, wouldnt pass ADR's

looks pretty damn nice...
    very classy...

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    everything in drivers view isnt black, wouldnt pass ADR's

looks pretty damn nice...
    very classy...
    But hopefully Renault will beat them since they concentrate on reliability and speed rather than special coatings or 'selling future' as Flavio Briatore just said.

Why maintain the red colour? Is this to please West? or to help facilitate Vodafone sponsorship for '07?

With F1 being the 'pinnacle' of motorsport, why hasn't a team done a chrome/metallic finish before?
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250
    Economics exists to keep Economists in jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino_Rossi
    Why maintain the red colour? Is this to please West? or to help facilitate Vodafone sponsorship for '07?

With F1 being the 'pinnacle' of motorsport, why hasn't a team done a chrome/metallic finish before?
    The crome paint probably weighs more...

About 6 years ago, the Renault teams cars didn't do too well because their coat of paint weighed almost double that of it's competitors
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Looks damn fine to me. It's great to see some different looking paintjobs on the grid for this year.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Wow, that looks fantastic.
    Makes the BMW/Sauber look pretty bland
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

I bet you Kimi would swap all the fancy point jobs in the world for a Mercedes Engine that hasn't blown up twice in Winter testing.

Shame about the fluro red, makes it look tacky.

Still, the best colour I've seen on an F1 car is the Prost metallic blue of 1998/99/00 (picture in my avatar). It had 27 different pigments in it, and photos do not do it justice unfortunately.

Jaguar had metallic british racing green, but that didn't look too great on tv (look nice in real life). Similar story with Jordan's B&H of 1996.

Let's hope that the chrome livery doesn't reflect sunlight into Montoya's eyes, he's already got a high chance of going off the road!
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

I wonder what the FIA have to say about the paint scheme?

Heard on FormulaPod that they spent many months working on the paint. Whether that was the scheme or getting the paint to look like that and be light I don't know...

I loved the Buzzin Hornet paint job on the Jordans ~1998-2001?
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250
    Economics exists to keep Economists in jobs.

Tadpole

Icon3 Re McLarens livery,

Hi Guys,

I believe that the reflective silver is not paint based, but a reflective coating applied under vacuum. Basically like the thin film of aluminium on a CD. In other words the surface has
    been metalised or sputtered.

The balance of the livery is then painted as normal over the bodywork. VERY expensive.

Then again, I could be wrong and it could just be a special paint. However I doubt that
    with the paint technology and the companies involved this would already be available to
    some degree.

Cheers,

MattyH

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mattie
    Hi Guys,

I believe that the reflective silver is not paint based, but a reflective coating applied under vacuum. Basically like the thin film of aluminium on a CD. In other words the surface has
    been metalised or sputtered.

The balance of the livery is then painted as normal over the bodywork. VERY expensive.

Then again, I could be wrong and it could just be a special paint. However I doubt that
    with the paint technology and the companies involved this would already be available to
    some degree.

Cheers,

MattyH
    Judjing by the on track photos it's almost like a satin chrome finish.

I doubt they'd be able to run the cars in a fully reflective metalised finish (if it was an option) purely on safety grounds. I'd imagine a giant mobile mirror could be quite distracting to other drivers...

What's the final colour of the McLaren gonna be ? I've seen photo's of it in yellow, and heard rumours that it will be red ...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader
    What's the final colour of the McLaren gonna be ? I've seen photo's of it in yellow, and heard rumours that it will be red ...

The McLarens did their pre season testing in their traditional yellowy/orangy colour scheme whilst finalising the new scheme.

Vodafone is hoping on board next year as a major sponsor which may explain the flashes of red tha will probably morph into more red next year.

I personally reckon that the scheme would look great with a deep orange instead of red

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader

The orange(or yellow) livery that McLaren were running was purely an interim testing livery until they unveiled their propper 2006 race livery (as seen in this thread) The orange is a tribute to Bruce McLaren as he used to run his early cars in an orange livery - particularly the Can-Am cars of the 60's & 70's
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

sweet sweet jesus.

If that colour actually makes it to the grid, bar distraction or glare factor, I cant wait to see it in action.

damm sweet god dam.

Default McLaren chromed ?

It would seem that most of you AFers would be too young to appreciate that the Mercedes racing colours in the old days were silver [The Silver Arrows].
    To their credit Merc. have injected a little history into the McLaren's livery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    It would seem that most of you AFers would be too young to appreciate that the Mercedes racing colours in the old days were silver [The Silver Arrows].
    To their credit Merc. have injected a little history into the McLaren's livery.
    I dont remember them first hand but I remember seeing a W196 (i think) that came out to the adelaide grand prix in '89 for the 500th world championship grand prix... The sound!!!!!

I love the historic F1's espesically the Mercedes and the auto unions

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    Still, the best colour I've seen on an F1 car is the Prost metallic blue of 1998/99/00 (picture in my avatar). It had 27 different pigments in it, and photos do not do it justice unfortunately.
    I have to agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    The McLarens did their pre season testing in their traditional yellowy/orangy colour scheme whilst finalising the new scheme.

Vodafone is hoping on board next year as a major sponsor which may explain the flashes of red tha will probably morph into more red next year.

I personally reckon that the scheme would look great with a deep orange instead of red
    Heres a little pre season Mclaren video i found

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...178683426&q=f1

Thread Information