Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?

Girlfriend wanted to damage her credit card on the other side of the pond this weekend, and what a shame - there seems to be historic racing as well so how could I refuse. Any froggies competing/spectating on Sunday?

Advertisement
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Kiwi 03, or can I call you Ki for short?

I'll be there both Saturday & Sunday, but trackside being an official. The event is run by the Victorian Mini Car Club (we provide officials and logistics)

Moby Dick will be on display in the Shannon's Walk, however. (Hopefully along with a couple of other cars from the Citroen Car Club of Victoria. This is a new initiative which will see cars from various clubs and manufacturers on display on the outside of the track.

At last count we had 480 entries for the racing, 15 Minis running and 22 car clubs displaying in the Shannons Walk display area outside the track proper.

If it's any help to you, a couple or three years ago this event reached sufficient numbers to become the LARGEST Motorsport event in Australian History! (Including Bathurst!) Not a bad effort I reckon (I was chief paddock marshall for that one and boy was I knackered by Sunday night!) It looks like being a biggie again this year!

If you only go to one event in Australia, and you're in any way interested in cars, this is the one to see! The international entrants bring back more of their friends every year saying things like "We just don't have anything like this in Europe/England/the States, etc."

Featured Marque this year is Porsche, but there'll still be a heap of real cars there as well!

Maybe I'll see you there!

Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

hi ,
    i'll be there...not working though.one of my friends will be working trackside too...corner 6...i'll look out for a white ds
    cheers marty

Cal

I was supposed to be going, but my mate in Melbourne I was going with is in Brisbane at the moment. Anyhow, should save the cash for the Goodwood Revival in September.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    should save the cash for the Goodwood Revival in September.

Cal.
    Now you're talking.

A workmate went to that last year. AMAZING EVENT!

I would love to go this year.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Cal

I went to the Festival of Speed in 2003 as it suited my timetable better. I've always thought the Revival would be a better meeting. Will return to the Nurburgring after too.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

I will go down on Sunday and maybe Saturday too, I have been quite a few times and it is great.

Kiwi are you ok for transport to get there?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by johnh875
    I will go down on Sunday and maybe Saturday too, I have been quite a few times and it is great.

Kiwi are you ok for transport to get there?

Hi John

Will have some awful sort of rental car so transport won't be a problem

Thanks and may see you Sunday

Cheers

Tony
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy
    Kiwi 03, or can I call you Ki for short?

I'll be there both Saturday & Sunday, but trackside being an official. The event is run by the Victorian Mini Car Club (we provide officials and logistics)

Moby Dick will be on display in the Shannon's Walk, however. (Hopefully along with a couple of other cars from the Citroen Car Club of Victoria. This is a new initiative which will see cars from various clubs and manufacturers on display on the outside of the track.

At last count we had 480 entries for the racing, 15 Minis running and 22 car clubs displaying in the Shannons Walk display area outside the track proper.

If it's any help to you, a couple or three years ago this event reached sufficient numbers to become the LARGEST Motorsport event in Australian History! (Including Bathurst!) Not a bad effort I reckon (I was chief paddock marshall for that one and boy was I knackered by Sunday night!) It looks like being a biggie again this year!

If you only go to one event in Australia, and you're in any way interested in cars, this is the one to see! The international entrants bring back more of their friends every year saying things like "We just don't have anything like this in Europe/England/the States, etc."

Featured Marque this year is Porsche, but there'll still be a heap of real cars there as well!

Maybe I'll see you there!

Pottsy.
    Will definately be there. Thanks for the info.

Tony
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe

Default Wouldn't miss it!

Due to a supersprint meeting at Winton on Sunday the Dog and trusty Feugo will be going down for Saturday.

This is the only meeting the Dog can be bothered to attend as a spectator!
    JYD

2003 VW Bora 4 Motion
    2004 VW Golf

Default Phillip Island - Sunday info?

Does anybody have any info on the Phillip Island Classic event for Sunday?
    ie starting/finishing times, useful info on parking etc as I have not been to this track before.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

how did this weekend go?

any pix?

shouldve rescheduled ordinary crap to rock up for sunday, at least
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

I only went on Sunday, but it was great. The weather was perfect, the racing was good with a lot of dicing through the fields, the only downside was there was a delay to clean up some oil which lead to shortening of races by a lap or two. Also I didn't get out into the carpark to have a look there - lots of cars & clubs on display.

Here are some quick pics, I have a few more although a cheap digi camera is not too suited for taking photos of racing.

1. Engine of a well-known Alpine (token French content lol)
    2. Allard J2R - 6.9 litre Cadillac engine, very rare
    3. Lola T610, this car was driven by John Bowe and absolutely ran away and hid in its races
    4. Maserati 250F - this particular car won the 1956 Australian GP in the hands of Stirling Moss
    5. Lancia Fulvia HF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-alpine-engine.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-allard-j2r.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-lola-t610.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-maserati-250f.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-fulvia-hf.jpg  

was only there on the sunday too...what a great event...my legs are sore,i'm totally burned but absolutely happy
    great cars on display....especially all the porsche cars from germany...great to see them on the track....
    pottsy
    was a cosy little spot there with the citroens....was talking to a friendly lady (french i assume)..unfortunately you weren't there.
    will definately be there next year again...cheers marty

Glad that everyone enjoyed the day. My Other Club, The Victorian Mini Club Inc, was the major promoter of the day in that we provided most of the officials and ran the meeting.

I didn't get to see the CCCV display on Sunday, I was trackside at Turn 2.1 from about 8:30 until nearly 5. I parked the Whale on the Shannon's Walk at about 10 past 7 and didn't get back there until nearly 6, by which time it was all alone again.

The other cars look good in the photos certainly.

And I have to admit, apparently it was a Mini that dropped it's sump-full down the main drag causing the marathon cleanup.

All the classics more than made up for that, however!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Icon3

plenty of cars... not enough time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-006.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-010.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-031.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-033.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-036.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-044.jpg  

and some more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-045.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-047.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-048.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-049.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-072.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-078.jpg  

forgot these ones...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-087.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-096.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-103.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-138.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-153.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-154.jpg  

some more.... just in case
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-184.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-186.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-187.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-022.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-024.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-classic-car-show-feb06-015.jpg  

Good on you for helping make the day happen pottsy - I saw your Cit as one of the few cars there when I got in, also saw the Mini drop its guts (that's a technical term isn't it ) in the <3L Group N race. Here is a few more happy snaps now I've had a bit more time to go through them (should I be happy or disappointed the memory card only held ~200 lol)

1. Replica of 1925 Chrysler raced by Malcolm Campbell at Brooklands where it would do over 100mph (the land speed record at the time was held by Campbell at 150mph)
    2. Porsche 904/8, in between the humps of the engine cover is the cooling fan exposed to the outside
    3. Mustang P51 fly-past. The commentator was talking to Tony Gaze who was most disappointed at the restrictions (speed, height, no aerobatics) and had a couple of good stories to tell
    4. The Maserati 250F and Lister Jaguar lining up on the grid
    5. Same cars approaching Honda Corner (having passed pottsy a few seconds earlier) with Bass Strait in the background
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-campbell-chrysler.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-904-8.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-mustang-p51.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-maserati-lister.jpg   Anyone going to Phillip Island this weekend?-lister-jag-maser-250f.jpg  

Cal

Thanks for posting the photos guys.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

hmmm.....i'd like to post a couple more pics too but you all must hate me because of the size of my pics?
    unfortunately my web album doesn't have the option to post thumbnails...
    johnh875 and 20FIVE
    where do you store your pics?
    cheers marty

I made mine small so they fit as attachments - I can't remember what the size requirement is but I resized to 600x480 and compressed the file more.

Online storage can be had at places like photobucket, fotopic etc.

I did the same, basically select all the pics from the thumbnails I want to post, right click, send to email.... email pops up and asks if you wish to shrink at which ppoint i say thanks very much. This seems to be the easiest option i can think of without thinking overly hard!

Thread Information