Alonso to McLaren in 2007
  • Help

Default Alonso to McLaren in 2007

Original text is finnish but there is full translation on english below.

"Alonso McLarenille 2007
    19.12.2005 14:00
    Fernando Alonso siirtyy McLaren-talliin.

Fernando Alonso. (KERIM OKTEN / EPA)
    Rata-autoilun F1-sarjan hallitseva mestari Fernando Alonso ajaa vuodesta 2007 eteenpäin McLaren-tallissa. Talli tiedotti asiasta maanantaina.

Toistaiseksi espanjalainen ajaa vielä Renaultilla. McLarenin kuljettajat ensi kaudelle ovat Kimi Räikkönen ja kolumbialainen Juan Pablo Montoya.

- Neuvottelemme parhaillaan nykyisten kuljettajiemme kanssa kaudesta 2007. Sekä Kimi että Juan Pablo ovat äärettömän lahjakkaita, ammattimaisia ja kilpailukykyisiä F1-kuljettajia. Halusimme julkistaa tämän sopimuksen nyt, että McLaren, Fernando, Kimi ja Juan Pablo voivat kaikki keskittyä ensi kauteen valmistautumiseen, McLaren-pomo Ron Dennis selvitti tallin tiedotteessa.

"Liian hyvä tilaisuus hukattavaksi"

Alonso oli Dennisin tavoin tyytyväinen, että sopimus saatiin julkistettua hyvissä ajoin.

- Näin voin keskittyä ensi kaudella sataprosenttisesti maailmanmestaruuden puolustamiseen, Alonso sanoi.

Espanjalainen oli myös uudesta työnantajastaan innoissaan.

- Tietysti Renaultin jättäminen on vaikeaa, mutta joskus eteen tulee tilaisuuksia, jotka ovat liian hyviä hukattaviksi, Alonso veisteli."

Text is in finnish but I will translate it:

Advertisement

"The reigning world champion Fernando Alonso will drive McLaren from 2007 on.
    McLaren's official statement said on monday.

At the moment spanish driver is under contract with Renault for season 2006. McLaren has contract with finn Kimi Raikkonen and columbian Juan-Pablo Montoya.

'We are at the moment negotiating with our current drivers for season 2007. Both Kimi and Juan are very talented, proffesional and competitive F1-drivers. We wanted to go public with this now in order to give McLaren, Fernando, Kimi and Juan-Pablo enough peace to be able to consentrate on next season.' Ron Dennis told on the press confrence.

'Too good opportunity not to waste'

Alonso was happy just like Dennis that the contract is now official.
    This is what I needed in order to concentrate next season 100% and for defending the title.

Spanish was full of excitement.
    'Of course it will hard to leave Renault but sometimes you get too good opportunity not to waste.'
    Told Alonso.
    Last edited by Pate; 19th December 2005 at 11:33 PM.

I see this as Alonso moving to McLaren in placement of Raikkonen who will go to Ferrari in placement of the retired Schumacher.

mclaren.com Press Release

WORLD CHAMPION FERNANDO ALONSO SECURES VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES DRIVE

Woking, Great Britain, Monday 19th December 2005: The 2005 Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will be joining forces for the 2007 Formula One season. Today's announcement comes only five days after Vodafone and McLaren Mercedes confirmed Vodafone's title sponsorship effective from January 2007 and forms an important part of the team's long term strategic partnership.

"Its great that our strong belief in the strength and competitiveness of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes package has been further endorsed by the World Champion," said Ron Dennis, Team Principal and Chairman and CEO of the McLaren Group. "We always make it clear that we want to be the best and the only way of achieving this objective is by attracting the best people, the best drivers and the best sponsors. To be able to announce Vodafone as only McLaren's third title partner in more than 30 years and Fernando's employment within only a few days is fantastic news for the team, our Partners, Formula One and the fans."

"We are in discussions with our current drivers' Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya regarding the 2007 season," continues Ron Dennis. "Both Juan Pablo and Kimi are extremely talented, professional and competitive Formula One drivers and they have and will continue to concentrate on our joint challenge for the Championships."

"Fernando and McLaren Mercedes wanted to make the announcement as soon as possible in a controlled and professional manner to allow McLaren Mercedes, Fernando, Kimi and Juan Pablo to focus on the preparations for the 2006 season," states Ron Dennis. "Our aim for next year remains absolutely clear to everybody within the team – we want to win races and be in a position where we might have two Formula One World Champions driving for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in 2007."

"We are pleased to welcome Fernando to the team and look forward to working both with him and our new title sponsor in 2007," said Norbert Haug, Vice-President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport. "To have a World Champion joining the team is a great endorsement and will create a tremendous amount of excitement. However for now our focus must remain on the 2006 season where we want to go one better than we did in 2005."

"To become part of a team with such a desire to succeed and passion for performance is a dream come true for any Formula One driver," said 2005 Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso. "I'm very excited about 2007 and the fantastic opportunity to drive for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. It will be a new beginning for me and a tremendous challenge and from what I have heard about this exciting new Partnership there is something to look forward to. Obviously I will be sad to leave Renault but sometimes possibilities come along which are just too good to miss. I'm pleased that we are able to make this announcement already now as it will allow my current team and I to focus 100 per cent on defending the World Championships next year."
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    I see this as Alonso moving to McLaren in placement of Raikkonen who will go to Ferrari in placement of the retired Schumacher.
    Also door is now open for Heikki Kovalainen in 2007 to become Renault race pilot after being test pilot for year 2006.

Woah -I didnt see that one coming at all!

Makes sense though with the rumours that have been around about Kimi going to Ferrari in '07. You've got to wonder if McLaren will persist with Montoya if his current form continues through '06 though.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Interesting reading the Finnish, then a translation to English, and then the original English text that the Finnish was translated from. Pretty well translated though
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Icon9 Argh

Just found this article and was reluctanly going to post it.
    http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_21704.shtml

I don't know what to make of it all.
    Renault are a team that would learn form this years mistakes and only improve on what was great from this year...and really blitz them next year, why jump in 2007 when Alonso could be looking at back to back titles with renault after 2006???
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

good news. would be better if Kimi and alonso were both at McLaren...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 307 Sport

WHOA!

Big NEWS!!!

McLaren will be a force to be reconned with in 2007.

Having Kimi and Fernando both on the same team could be very interesting.

Kimi better out-perform Montoya in 2006.

I know there have been rumours for ages about Kimi going to Ferrari, but at the moment Ferrari are not a very good team. Maybe if they do well in 2006 then thaey are an attractive option, however at the moment McLaren would be more desirable for a driver, surely.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Maybe Renault are pulling out of F1 at the end of 2006?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pug-a-lug
    Maybe Renault are pulling out of F1 at the end of 2006?!?
    Renault pulling out of F1 happens only if Renault starts to be loosing all the time. Renault SA boss Carlos Ghosn is very demanding guy and he said already that Renault will be in F1 as long as it keeps winning. So pulling out is not scheduled anyway... I don't see that happening in 2007 since Heikki Kovalainen will be race driver of Renault F1 then. Renault has promised to be in F1 till the end of 2007.

Flavio Briatore said once that they are not going to keep Alonso at Renault with any costs. Renault simply doesn't pay huge salaries so they cannot afford Fernando. But Briatore continued and said that he doesn't worry too much when Fernando will eventually move to another team, 'We have Heikki Kovalainen to replace Alonso'.

At Race of Champions 2004 young Heikki Kovalainen did beat both Sebastien Loeb with World Rally Car and Michael Schumacher with Ferrari in one evening (both were reigning champions). It was first time Heikki ever drove rally car or Ferrari...
    Last edited by Pate; 20th December 2005 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate
    At Race of Champions 2004 young Heikki Kovalainen did beat both Sebastien Loeb with World Rally Car and Michael Schumacher with Ferrari in one evening (both were reigning champions). It was first time Heikki ever drove rally car or Ferrari...
    Pate... i know you don't think much of Kimmi, but i rate both him & Heikki. I would like to learn more about him, is there a link you could post about Heikki in english.... spesh if raced karts (as I'm sure he did), that would be great. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    ...is there a link you could post about Heikki in english.... spesh if raced karts (as I'm sure he did), that would be great. - Chris
    http://heikkifanjp.twincle.net/

Heikki's Resumé http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s208/st80021.htm#vote

Renault official drivers http://www.renaultf1.com/formula-1/h...kovalainen.htm

Heikki is from small village Suomussalmi in Lapland which is the northernmost part of Finland. Suomussalmi is famous of WW2 battle 'Raatteentie' where less than 5,000 finnish soldiers killed or captured 23,000 russians. Heikki is sort of symbol of playing against odds and true underdog story. Usually our F1 drivers (JJ Lehto, Salo, Hakkinen, Raikkonen) have been from 'rich' southern Finland. Being a track racer is almost impossible in north Finland due absence of race tracks and long winter. Heikki has a great characteristics and people here (in Finland at least) think he is smart guy just like Fernando Alonso.

Heikki has a strong resemblance of my late friend who died in car accident.
    Last edited by Pate; 20th December 2005 at 06:27 PM.

Very dissapointing news indeed. Here's two theories I subscribe to. Possibly Renault are pulling out of F1 again. They win it then leave and come back again in another 10 years or so.
    Scenario two which I am surprised no one has mentioned. Maybe Briatore is going to finally lure Webber to Renault. He must have been upset that he chose Williams instead of Renault last year and Briatore does own his contract.
    How good would it be for Renault Aus if Webber was in a Renault.

I still like Fernando though. In my opinion he is a bit Senna like.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME
    I still like Fernando though. In my opinion he is a bit Senna like.
    I like Alonso too but I think he is more like Prost. He drives just enough to win the title and saves engine etc. Senna was more like 'pole at any costs' kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate
    I like Alonso too but I think he is more like Prost. He drives just enough to win the title and saves engine etc. Senna was more like 'pole at any costs' kind of guy.
    agreed. Senna was the king though.
    "What's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Borrow fivers off everyone you meet."
    - Richard Branson

"He who allows himself to be insulted, deserves to be."
    - Pierre Corneille

2005 307 Sport

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 307FELINE
    agreed. Senna was the king though.
    I loved it when Senna sang about blue suede shoes, and when he captained the kangaroos too!

I think Alonso displays some of Prost's efficiency, and Schumi's consistency, but maybe lacks Ruthlessness of Senna. He is good, and a worthy world champion, but time will tell if he can be compared with these greats of if he is 'just' another champ.

looks like more bad media for Crazy Ron

No doubt Alonso is a good driver, but for me he lacks something but I don't know what it is exactly.

Certainly a far cry from Prost or Senna, at this stage anyway, but he is only young and he may get better.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Thread Information