Fellow Frogger!

Icon6 Drift Techniques

i came across this page on a search for 205 bits:

Advertisement

http://www.driftlock.co.uk/drift-techniques.php

i especially like the last paragraph
    Puggy.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

they forgot to mention that the best training is at maccas with maccas trays and hats on backwards whilst having the seat in cruise mode and the stereo going doof doof

don't forget to have a durry hanging out of the mouth and your mates also wearing hats backwards and wearing shorts that are 5 sizes too big for them cheering you on

for drifting practice they should have been here on fri night when we had 6" of hail on the road and it was like driving on marbles and i can tell you i now have a refreshed dislike towards P platers

each and everyone of them i saw was going mad and ending up in the gutters or sliding out of control into a parked car whilst i slowly drove past the lot of them on the way home

sirens going off everywhere

i had one overtake me sideways so i just came to a stop to watch him keep sliding into a gutter

amazingly not one car that didn't have P plates on it got in trouble on the road that i saw

one i saw went up the gutter in the main street and ended up against a public phone

gotta love this drifting craze as it has given our youth something else to do now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I love it how this forum takes a form of motorsport that has exsisted for quite a while so seriousely. Yes in recent years this has been taken onto our roads by dickheads, but it doesn't represent the majority that get involved

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower
    i came across this page on a search for 205 bits:

http://www.driftlock.co.uk/drift-techniques.php

i especially like the last paragraph
    Puggy.
    funny read, lots of BS in the article especially relating to the laws of physics.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Rofl pugrambo, nice one...

-- DJ

nice avatar J206GTi. very nice

Zen

Ass dragging is not drifting.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    nice avatar J206GTi. very nice
    Thanks dude.

Although it takes a lot more effort to clean up after a muddy drive like that.

Just now I took the front wheels off to hose off all the mud that's causing the steering wheel to vibrate on the freeway on high speed. You find mud under the sump, control arms, near the air intake, all around the cat, exhuast pipe....and so on. Took me 1.5hrs to clean plus 30mins before on the weekend !!
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Hey rich, drifting a fwd doesn't need the handbrake! If you've seen me on the nebo runs you'd believe a fwd can drift (teehee).

That aside, drifting is not a sport in any shape or form. The scoring in serious events like the D1GP is totally subjective, and so i rank it right up there with synchronised swimming as a "sport".

In reality it's sports-entertainment, like WWF. You watch cars go sideways, a few crash, you laugh, buy option stickers for your camry, change channel.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Ass dragging is not drifting.

Rich
    If you have ever seen photos of John Rhodes racing a Mini you would have an exception to that statement – try having a Mini at a 45+ degree drift angle, front wheels pointing straight ahead, and smoke pouring from them… Technically the front of the car is drifting, and the back is sliding.

And I agree, a sport is something that you measure – number of goals, time, distance, etc not something that is subjective.

lol.

I have some close-ups of john rhode's around here somewhere, he has a really funny look on his face when driving fast, a bit like gronholm.

oh more please... Cant wait to show the Nipon boys and see how retro they all are now

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

ha ha ha its a very funny article!

They started getting theory wrong in first paragraph! Im pedantic about my physics though.

Well there is no "adhesion" betwee your tyres and the road, adhesion is a chemical interaction whereby two different materials are held together strongly by electrostatic force. This is how glue works.

What we are talking about with drifting is "coefficient of friction", the factors that affect this are : compound type, road surface, tread pattern and size of contact patch. Cars have "Static Friction" i.e. the contact patch is stationary relative to the road.

when you drive a car round a corner, you are essentially driving around the circumference of a circle and hence you are accelerating. this is centripital acceleration. Now, what provides the force for this acceleration, is the tyres. This is newtons thrid law, the tyres push sideways on the road and the road pushes sideways in the opposite direction.

Ultimately, what determines the maximum force the tyres can provide is the coefficient of friction. When you reach the limit of your coefficient of friction the tyres will not be able to privide the required force. At this point the car will "lose traction" not completely though, the car now has "Dynamic Friction" between the tyres and the road, This is typically 10 percent or so of static frition. This is why you stil go around the corner, but much wider than you would go with static friction. Using the dynamic friction anebles you to slide or "drift" lol this is a buzz word now!

Now drifting is useful for many reasons,
    1. changing the direction your car is pointing quickly (tight corners etc)
    2. washing off excess speed in tricky situations
    3. lotsa other applications and looks cool.

this is a very brief and basic explanation. An understanding of vehicle physics i think is important for safety reasons.

i am a P plate driver in the ACT and yes I have seen many people trying to do it and hitting curbs and making idiots of them selves. i just laugh and hope that they dont hurt anybody.

Buzz words, Drifting not a "real" sport maybe you should be talking to people who have been particapating in this sport for more then 20 years. It's hardly a buzz word, nor is it "not a real sport" judging may be subjective, and to people over here in the general australian populace who do not understand it, it may just be cheap entertainment, but I still maintain my thoughts, posted in my previous post.

My guess is that a lot of the comments here come from the same people who put down japanese cars as being crap just because they can, and if these people were asked for a justification I think they would have to think long and hard. This may be a French car forum, but a little tolerance of what other people like to do would go a long way sometimes.

Fellow Frogger!

the only bit i really noted from this webpage was quote: "‘lift off oversteer’ such as the Pug 205 ". the rest was a bit of a laugh, kinda reminded me of super 24 maccas waiting to go to Davies rd on a sunday night in my gemi on my p's
    im not Sebastien Loeb and dont plan/wish to be either.
    Puggy.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    Buzz words, Drifting not a "real" sport maybe you should be talking to people who have been particapating in this sport for more then 20 years. It's hardly a buzz word, nor is it "not a real sport" judging may be subjective, and to people over here in the general australian populace who do not understand it, it may just be cheap entertainment, but I still maintain my thoughts, posted in my previous post.

My guess is that a lot of the comments here come from the same people who put down japanese cars as being crap just because they can, and if these people were asked for a justification I think they would have to think long and hard. This may be a French car forum, but a little tolerance of what other people like to do would go a long way sometimes.

I could not have put it better myself. You are spot on there mate. To many people on this forum think every jap car is shithouse and most have not every driven any of the more sportier or performance orientated types. I have lived in japan for quite a while and have been to many motorsport events over there and quite frankly there is some awsome stuf over there. Im not just talking about huge turbos and lots of stickers like most of you stereotype them all to be.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I think that the problem is over here you only get to see the big stickered ,loud muffler,big turbo ricers as the representetives of that so called sport.
    but i must admit that at first drifting is fun to watch but for me gets very boring very quick.
    there seems to be no set rules on the drifiting events ive watched on cable telly.
    one guy drifts and the next guy tries to match or outdrift the first.
    i dont think its justified calling it a sport tho'
    more like a fad.
    its been done for ages but now its been given a media savvy name to sell products and give losers street cred[think i went too far then....NAHHHHH!]
    im sure you will dis agree but sports have SET RULES
    if there is set rules =PLEASE EXPLAIN
    the commentators on the cable telly show said that there is no rules bar trying to' outdrift you opponents',whatever that means.
    give me rally anyday of the week for excitment and real skill.
    oh yeah i was DRIFTING in my paddock bomb at the age of 12[albeit on grass and dirt']
    and do you really expect to get favourable reaction to japanese cars on a french car forum.now who's being nieve .ha ha ha[that should stir up some debate][joking joice]-BAZZhttp://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    give me rally anyday of the week for excitment and real skill.
    Drifting is a skill one needs to master in order to rally on dirt/gravel as it essentially provides the braking. Static friction on dirt is very low, so conventional braking does a very poor job slowing the car down. Reduction in speed comes from the sideways motion of the car, much like sideways sliding on skis or snowboards reduces your downhill speed. So drifting is an essential tool, but for me it is boring to watch, sort of like a tool show. I also think little of judged events and I always felt that the clock should determine the winner. But then again this is my personal taste and a friend once said that tastes vary and that's why they have 39 flavors of ice cream.

Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    But then again this is my personal taste and a friend once said that tastes vary and that's why they have 39 flavors of ice cream.

Thanos
    Nice! I like that
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

me drft better than you sucka.... apples versus oranges big deal. The Option & Best Motoring boys drift all the time, they got the 2004 D1 japan champion (aguably the best comp drifter in the world) and tried to get him to actually race (proparly) on a race track... long story short, even he admitted its was much harder than drifting & much harder than he anticipated, even with lessons from great Jap drivers. That doesn't mean it doesn't have skill, drivign a car 100% leagely 100% of the time, try that one for skill, hell even I've drifted (and well at that too) a rb25 powered R32 Gtst, but its easy when you have race kraft behind & know the track, its all about the foot/hand work & feel, not that hard really... but fun it is. - Chris

ps, rice sucks, but so do baguets.
    ... ptui!

You can spell rice but not baguette? Have we lost you to the "other side"?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Drifting is a skill one needs to master in order to rally on dirt/gravel as it essentially provides the braking. Static friction on dirt is very low, so conventional braking does a very poor job slowing the car down. Reduction in speed comes from the sideways motion of the car, much like sideways sliding on skis or snowboards reduces your downhill speed. So drifting is an essential tool, but for me it is boring to watch, sort of like a tool show. I also think little of judged events and I always felt that the clock should determine the winner. But then again this is my personal taste and a friend once said that tastes vary and that's why they have 39 flavors of ice cream.

Thanos
    39 flavours maybe but i still prefer vanilla ha ha ha ha.
    but seriously,most of the puggy guys are not equipped to do drifting as its usually a rear wheel drive thing.
    most late puggies are fwd.
    drifting maybe a skill thats needed to do rallying but that to me is like saying you know karate cause you passed the first yellow belt .http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.
    i also think that drifting is a very dangerous fad for the young p later.
    costs a lot to do properly and most do it on open roads to show off to their brainless mates all with clothes 5 sizes to big.
    yeah its fun to do ,but still GIVE ME RALLY ANYDAY
    in rally you need to be able to control the car in any situ,not just going sideways.
    but i spose its horses for courses.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    I love it how this forum takes a form of motorsport that has exsisted for quite a while so seriousely. Yes in recent years this has been taken onto our roads by dickheads, but it doesn't represent the majority that get involved
    i gotta disagree with that statement.
    ive seen more peel offs and stupid driving by the rice brigade in their drifting machines than any other car group of late.
    it used to be the commodore crowd now its soarers and celicas and supras and subaru's doing most of the silly shit i see.
    and most with p plates.
    these guys usually drive these 'racing cars' as there everyday drivers .
    and most cant keep it in their pants for any length of time.
    just reporting how i see it in melbourne.
    on the other hand i dont see any rally prepared cars doing the same thing on our public roads,funny thing aye!!!!-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

most of the puggy guys are not equipped to do drifting as its usually a rear wheel drive thing.
    -BAZZ
    You can drift a FWD all day long on dirt, you just have to flick it and BELIEVE!

GIVE ME RALLY ANYDAY
    Without a doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    You can spell rice but not baguette? Have we lost you to the "other side"?
    noh, engrish ees mi sehkond landwich. - Chris

ps, better the other side than no side at all, nothing worse than a fence sitter.
    ... ptui!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information