[ R.I.P.] Richard Burns died yesterday...
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon9 [ R.I.P.] Richard Burns died yesterday...

Hi,

It's a terribly sad news I bring to you, unfortuneately...

After Michael Park, England, and WRC in general, lost another great figure...

Famous WRC driver Richard Burns(who drove for Peugeot in 2002/2003)lost his fight for life against that damned disease called CANCER, and died at hospital yesterday, friday 25th november...

R.I.P. Richard
    My sincere condolences to your family and friend...

Advertisement

Zen

R.I.P.

A very sad year for Peugeot and the WRC community. Condolences to his family and close friends.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

it's been a sad year for rallying this year, not to mention Peugeot

Icon9

omg...

r.i.p

e.sport

I hadn't even heard he was ill.
    Not a good year at all for the 'French Lion'. He will be greatly missed by all in and out of rallying.
    RIP....

My condolences as well to all who knew him.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

XTC

Cards or messages can be sent to either Ecurie Albion, Wheelwright's Cottage, Shilton, Burford, OX18 4AA or www.richard-burns.co.uk/memorials.

He was 34.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Far too young to die.

R.I.P Burns,

I never new the cancer was that serious,that is such a loss of a true talented star.

Dan
    1970 ID20 SUPER
    1971 DS21 IE non PALLAS,5 Spd
    1973 DS20 SUPER Singapore model but now an Aust resident(Rebuilding)
    Late 1994 Xantia VSX 5speed (for sale)
    1966 R10 round eye (sombody want to buy?)

It has not been a good year for rallying

My condolences and RIP
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

He was mentioned last week in the other thread, I knew he wasn't well but I didn't think it was this bad.

A very sad day for the motorsport world.

1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Very sad, RIP mate

RIP Richard - The good always go too young.

This has been a very sad year for rallying
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Very sad news...

I remember the year Richard was leading the WRC only not to compete in the Rally GB because of the onset of his battle with the tumur

RIP

more info
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23770,00.html

Former world rally champion dies
    From correspondents in London
    November 27, 2005

FORMER world rally champion Richard Burns has died after failing to recover from a brain tumour. He was aged 34.

The only Englishman to win the prestigious driving title, in 2001, he underwent brain surgery to remove a tumour in April, but died on Friday with his close family and friends at his bedside.

His last race was in 2003 while leading the world championship. He was forced to stop racing after fainting at the wheel of his car while travelling to the Wales Rally GB.

"From the outset Richard knew that the odds were heavily against him and yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour," the statement said.

"Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004.

"For a while his health showed signs of improvement but then after six months it once again began to decline.

"Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active.

"At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received.

"However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma.

Advertisement:
    "The date of a memorial service will be announced shortly."
    Peugeot director Jean-Pierre Nicolas, who welcomed Burns to the squad when he left Subaru at the end of the 2001 season, was one of the first to pay tribute.

"It's really saddening to see such a likeable and strong young man die so young. He had everything going for him," Nicolas told AFP.

"He was the world champion in 2001 and after his move to Peugeot he complemented Marcus Gronholm and thus contributed a lot to our world title in 2002.

"He was a remarkable finisher. He read the race really well which allowed him to pick up points."

Nicolas added: "Given the circumstances it will be a liberation for him. You rarely beat this kind of illness."

The Reading-born driver made his breakthrough when he became the youngest-ever winner of the British rally championship in 1993 when he was with Subaru.

He then competed in the Asia-Pacific Championships before entering the world championship on a full-time basis for the first time in 1998 partnering Finland's Tommi Makinen for Mitsubishi.

He moved back to Subaru the following year and after racking up wins in Greece, Australia and Britain, he placed second in the world championship standings.

He had to settle for second again the following year, but he finally grabbed the supreme title in his sport in 2001 when he beat off a strong challenge from arch-rival Colin McRae of Scotland to clinch a thrilling victory by finishing third in the closing Rally of Great Britain.

His former sparring partner led the tributes, saying: "Richard was a friend and at the same time a very fierce rival. We had many great battles together, notably the 2001 Wales Rally GB when he took the world rally championship.

"I have seen Richard on a number of occasions during the past two years and the greatest battle he has put up was against his illness.

"Richard was a true character in the world of rallying and will be sadly missed as a competitor and as a friend to many people.

"My thoughts at the moment are with Richard, Zoe (his wife), his family and all the close friends that have supported him during the last two years."

Burns' former Subaru team boss David Richards, now in charge of the championship, added his praise.

He told BBC News: "Richard was extremely well respected in the sport and loved by many, many fans around the world.

"We talk about him in this country as an English world champion, and the only English world champion for that matter, but he had fans all around the world.

"The world championship goes to the far reaches - New Zealand, South America - and everywhere I'm sure they are mourning his death today.

"He was just an extremely professional character, he set about things in a very methodical way, not quite the flamboyance of Colin McRae but equally professional. Supported by Robert Reid his co-driver, they were a great team.

"He was very involved with the team, he more so than anyone mucked in with everyone and got on with the team."

Burns switched again after his world title, moving to Peugeot, but failed to win a race all season in 2002 although he still managed to finish overall second.

In all he raced in 105 world championship rallies, winning 10.
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

BDG

very sad news, R I P , Richard Burns.....

Very sad news. I hadn't heard how he was going for quite a while. Another great has left this world.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Very sad news. I hadn't heard how he was going for quite a while. Another great has left this world.
    There was talk at Rally Oz he wasn't doing so well. Grab life while you have it ... he certainly did.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

34..... .........these horrible premature deaths from in-curable disease certainly wake the 'wow, my life is OK, even if I can't see it all the time' from the depths of our sub-concious thought, don't they.
    At the very least he would have enjoyed his short time here.
    RIP
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

TAK
    Tadpole

RIP King Richard,

I was an instant fan when he burst onto the WRC scene with Mitsubishi, and rapted when he signed with Peugeot.

A great career cut short, but most importantly, a life cut short by a terrible disease.

Thanks for the memories...
    2000 406 Coupe 1995 306 s16

RIP

Is a Great Loss and only 34 Years Old

Heres a Richard Burns Tribute Video i found on another Forum.

http://www.cosworth.soldigit.net/fil...Tribute_PT.wmv

Cheers chips.

Thread Information