Chris Atkinson signs with Subaru for 2006
  • Help

Default Chris Atkinson signs with Subaru for 2006

SUBARU WORLD RALLY TEAM SIGNS ATKINSON FOR 2006

Quote:

Subaru World Rally Team has announced the re-signing of Australia's brightest rallying star, Chris Atkinson, for 2006.

The 25 year-old will partner Petter Solberg in the 2006 FIA World Rally Championship, contesting all 16 rounds of the series with current co-driver Glenn Macneall.

Advertisement

Chris' debut year at the world level showed his promise as one of the exciting, rising stars and he became the most successful Australian to have competed in the championship.

Chris was the first Australian in 13 years to step onto a WRC podium when he finished third in Rally Japan, equalling the best-ever finish by an Australian in the WRC.

In addition he was fourth in Australia and seventh in New Zealand, and recorded 15 stage wins.

Only Sebastien Loeb, Marcus Gronholm and Petter Solberg, all previous World Champions, scored more stage wins. The result was even more remarkable as Chris had never competed in the majority of events.

Chris, from the Gold Coast, said: "It's fantastic to have the opportunity to stay with Subaru and I'm looking forward to showing once more the speed and the results we've demonstrated in the last part of this year.

"You can't expect too much in your first year and the fact that we're fourth in the stage wins shows we've got the speed, which is very promising for the future.

"We fit in well with the team and with a year's experience behind us, I can't wait to see what we can do."

Subaru Australia Managing Director Nick Senior said: "After crossing the globe in 2005, Chris has achieved a remarkable record and is regarded as a phenomenon in world motorsport.

"It's no secret that in recent weeks Chris has been courted by leading World Rally teams.

"We're delighted that in 2006 he will once again drive for Subaru World Rally Team.

"He's a great ambassador for the brand, but also for his sport and, importantly, his country, and we look forward to sharing in his success in 2006."

The agreement continues Subaru's policy of seeking out young talented drivers and is part of a long-term partnership to develop Chris' potential into a future World Rally Champion.

David Lapworth, Subaru World Rally Team Technical Director, said: "Chris has earned his stripes this year and has been awarded this contract entirely on merit.

"He has shown enormous potential and has proved that he has that talent to achieve the next level in performance.

"His speed was apparent from day one and we can see that he has the maturity to achieve good, strong finishes -- his outstanding results in Japan and Australia clearly demonstrate this.

"The move is part of a long-term plan to develop Chris at a world-class level and he is taking a step along the path followed by previous Subaru World Champions, such as Colin McRae, Richard Burns and Petter Solberg.

"Chris has had a very professional attitude and if he continues to improve at the same rate he will be a World Championship contender of the future."

Subaru Manufacturer Principal Toshiya Azuma said: "I'm very happy that Chris is continuing with Subaru next year.

"He has proved to be one of the most promising young talents in the Championship and we're confident he can achieve even better results with a year's experience under his belt.

"Chris and Petter will be a formidable line-up in 2006 and we hope to improve on the strong foundations we've established this year."

source: www.motorsport.com
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

What was the final story with Richard Burns.
    I know he had health problems but I thought he was supposedly going to return; he didn't die of boredom in front of the TV by any chance?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    What was the final story with Richard Burns.
    I know he had health problems but I thought he was supposedly going to return; he didn't die of boredom in front of the TV by any chance?

Alan S
    He had a brain tumour removed, is still on the mend and not bad, but won't drive again competitively was what I heard...
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    SUBARU WORLD RALLY TEAM SIGNS ATKINSON FOR 2006

"The move is part of a long-term plan to develop Chris at a world-class level and he is taking a step along the path followed by previous Subaru World Champions, such as Colin McRae, Richard Burns and Petter Solberg.

"Chris has had a very professional attitude and if he continues to improve at the same rate he will be a World Championship contender of the future."
    Great News.

Imagine having an Aussie as the WRC champion and the Formula1 Champion in the same year!

ok it's a long shot, but it could happen
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Good news for Chris (and Australia)
    I hope his car serves him well next year, ie. no stupid failures like Kimi had this year in F1 and I hope that he manages to finish more rallies
    Although ultimately I'd like to see Marcus Grönholm beat Loeb now that he should be in a more competitive car
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SamR
    I hope his car serves him well next year, ie. no stupid failures like Kimi had this year in F1 and I hope that he manages to finish more rallies
    The fact that only Loeb, Solberg and Gronholm took out more stage wins in 2005 than Chris did, that's pretty good form against the current and 2 other world champions ! - 2006 he'll be better re-running roads he's at least done once now. Good thing I got to chat to him this year (and grab his signature), next year if he's doing well all the "hob knobs" won't let you get near him !!

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    He had a brain tumour removed, is still on the mend and not bad, but won't drive again competitively was what I heard...

The last I heard, a few months ago at Rally GB, he was in a fairly bad state in a wheelchair and not looking to be on the mend.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    The fact that only Loeb, Solberg and Gronholm took out more stage wins in 2005 than Chris did, that's pretty good form against the current and 2 other world champions ! - 2006 he'll be better re-running roads he's at least done once now. Good thing I got to chat to him this year (and grab his signature), next year if he's doing well all the "hob knobs" won't let you get near him !!

- xTc -
    That is a very good achievement in anyones books.
    I managed to get his and Glen MacNeal's signatures in Finland this year but getting Marcus Grönholm's was basically impossible seeing as everyone wanted it
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by SamR
    That is a very good achievement in anyones books.
    I managed to get his and Glen MacNeal's signatures in Finland this year but getting Marcus Grönholm's was basically impossible seeing as everyone wanted it
    I've got an Autoart 1:18 scale 206 WRC signed by both Marcus and Timo

Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    I've got an Autoart 1:18 scale 206 WRC signed by both Marcus and Timo

Wasn't there somewhere on line you could buy them autographed?

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Wasn't there somewhere on line you could buy them autographed?

Troy.
    Not sure - but I got mine done at Rally Oz in 2004
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Not sure - but I got mine done at Rally Oz in 2004
    Might have been this

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/Gran.../GrandPrix.htm

99 Pounds wow.

Biologist was telling me about it on the weekend, but I cannot remember if that was the exact site.

Troy.

Interesting to see how Chris goes next year. Hopefully, with a seasons experience under his belt, he'll be more consistent whilst still retaining his speed.

The only problem I see with chris is that he hasnt completed more than half the stages on some rallies as he crashed out this year.

That said Subaru have said they would rather have someone who has the "raw speed" and teach him to be conservative than a conservative driver who's slow.

Thread Information