Bathurst 2005 - Any comments?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Bathurst 2005 - Any comments?

FWIW, I thought Skaife deserved to win, didn't fight at the start and drove like an endurance event, was there at the last sprint and had the reserve to stay in front.

Advertisement

Murphy was lucky not to be charged for turning Ambrose around, but apparently they've changed the rule on passing, so the guy on the outside is at a disadvantage, for some reason.

Lowndes had the speed and team to win, but threw it away by going 10/10ths in the early stages - only he would know why.

The use of the "safety car" is overdone, but realistically keeps more excitement and close racing for the uneducated public. Personally I think an endurance event should allow the faster car/s to build up a lead and keep it. If a car can win by 2 laps, so be it.

Regardless of the fact they are based on the "average Aussie car", the V8 Supercars are highly technical race-cars, the only resemblance to the road cars is the external shape. I think it's a bit of a con on the public to even suggest that the performance of these cars is reflected in the cars they sell in the showrooms, but this is marketing, I suppose.

I believe it was b***** cold and windy, but a good race to watch. Wish I had been there. Any A/Fer's make it to the best race in Aust?

Cheers
    Fordman.

I must admit that this is the first V8/Bathurst event I watched a significant part of for some years, (used to watch Bathurst all the time in from 1970's to the start of the V8 Supercar era) and actually thought it was quite a good race. I just regarded it the same as GP races, basically where all the cars are mixed to a similar formula it all comes down to individual tactics, skills and a good dose of plain old luck in the case of Bathurst.

I think the Murphy Ambrose thing was basically one of those heat of the moment incidents, especially just after the safety car period so close to the end of the event. It is very difficult from the footage shown to really tell for sure whether any malice was intended.

I agree with your safety car point too, especially when you consider the Murphy/Ambrose incident happened just post the safety car incident, you could say that was one of the causes. I'm sure some things are just done to bunch the field up to create a series of sprint events just to maintain interest, but then you remember the old days of the tow trucks on the mountain while the race continued and the hairy moments they created.......

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman
    Lowndes had the speed and team to win, but threw it away by going 10/10ths in the early stages - only he would know why.
    I saw Lowndes car at Sandown a few weeks ago and it was just an absolute Jet...

It creamed everything on the straights (particuarly up the hill)...

I have a feeling that the car was almost 'too' good.

I've seen it (and experienced it) before when a car just feels "right", and you get into a zone where you don't even realise you're pushing as fast as you are, because the car is reacting exactly the way you'd expect it to and you get to the stage where your correcting before you've even started to lose it...

Problem is, as soon as something changes (spot of oil or water on the track) you are so far into the ultimate grip threshold of the car/track that you've no room to catch it...

It was only a minor brush with the wall (the back stepped out) but it was enough to snap one of the watts linkages....

As has been said before, it's a long race....

I didn't see any of it, so I cant comment on the race, but I'm glad the Bogans have left town for the next 12 months.

As for being cold it was absolutely freezing, some places around the area had snow fall on the Saturday night.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

That was one of the best races of recent years. It's a shame that they have limited to only Ford and Holden as I think more manufacturers would make it more popular with the public, given of course there isn't a whitewash ala the Sierra's in the late 80's or Skyline's early 90's.

Lowndes was on fire and untouchable, a shame it ended so early for him and Muller.

Skaife/Kelly did drive very well, keeping their nose clean for the first 100 odd laps staying near the front but not pushing too much.

As mentioned earlier, you can afford to do that these days because you know a Safety Car will be called at some stage and the lead the front guys have killed themselves over will be neutralised. It's a shame really because more often than not, the winner is not usually the one who had the speed and was just in the right place at the right time. This is often the case in IRL or ChampCar in the US, where they tend to send out the pace car if someone as much as locks up a tyre for half a second.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman
    Regardless of the fact they are based on the "average Aussie car", the V8 Supercars are highly technical race-cars, the only resemblance to the road cars is the external shape. I think it's a bit of a con on the public to even suggest that the performance of these cars is reflected in the cars they sell in the showrooms, but this is marketing, I suppose.
    Taxi racing is boring. The personalities on the other hand make it interesting sometimes. Fords and Holdens sux, that's why I drive a Peugeot.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Good race for sport sedans!!!
    It would be great to see a few Benz and BMWs out there with factory gearboxs, diffs, suspensions etc.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Until it becomes more than Holden Vs Ford I won't be watching...

Both these manufacturers would get killed in a multi constuctor format. Look at what the Skyline did in the 90's...

Still the bogans won't allow it.
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    Ute racing is fun to watch.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Hard to argue against the V8s when they really are one of the most popular forms of track motorsport in the world. Has anyone watched BTCC?

It's highly entertaining motorsport, although I did miss Bathurst this year.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Has anyone watched BTCC?

Unfortunately the BTCC in its former guise which I used to love is somewhat dead. There are hardly any factory teams left anymore (well, just SEAT & Vauxhall now) - apart from two 'works' teams, it's basically a privateers championship.

Ahh, the good old days where you'd have very entertaining racing, and championships that'd go all the way down to the wire. Races weren't foregone conclusions and there was a plethora of manufacturers, back in the mid 90s you had Audi, BMW, Vauxhall, Volvo, Peugeot, Renault, Honda, Nissan and Ford. However, by the late 90's it was dying - 8 manufacturers in '98, 6 in '99 and 3 in 2000, and in this regard it's been downhill since.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

VIP Sponsor

[QUOTE=ashvsaod]Until it becomes more than Holden Vs Ford I won't be watching...

Both these manufacturers would get killed in a multi constuctor format. Look at what the Skyline did in the 90's...

No they wouldn't, the two brands at the moment are subject to parity so if one goes faster than the other then the other is gven freedoms.
    So another manufacturer's car would go the same as the two there now.
    Rallying is the same, the Corollas are being given more freedoms to make them competitive. That's what I meant when I said Bathurst is irrelevent, motorsport today is just entertainment and advertising.
    By the way, the Fords and Holdens use the same components apart from the engines.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Hard to argue against the V8s when they really are one of the most popular forms of track motorsport in the world. Has anyone watched BTCC?

BTCC is great, even this year despite a lot of the big name manufacturers not participating. It was at its peak in the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Unfortunately the BTCC in its former guise which I used to love is somewhat dead. There are hardly any factory teams left anymore (well, just SEAT & Vauxhall now) - apart from two 'works' teams, it's basically a privateers championship.

Ahh, the good old days where you'd have very entertaining racing, and championships that'd go all the way down to the wire. Races weren't foregone conclusions and there was a plethora of manufacturers, back in the mid 90s you had Audi, BMW, Vauxhall, Volvo, Peugeot, Renault, Honda, Nissan and Ford. However, by the late 90's it was dying - 8 manufacturers in '98, 6 in '99 and 3 in 2000, and in this regard it's been downhill since.

Don't forget Alfa Romeo with their 155 which was unbeatable in the hands of Gabriele Tarquini.
    Last edited by PLAYLIFE; 11th October 2005 at 07:04 PM.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

[QUOTE=GRAHAM WALLIS]
    Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod

No they wouldn't, the two brands at the moment are subject to parity so if one goes faster than the other then the other is gven freedoms.
    So another manufacturer's car would go the same as the two there now.
    Rallying is the same, the Corollas are being given more freedoms to make them competitive. That's what I meant when I said Bathurst is irrelevent, motorsport today is just entertainment and advertising.
    By the way, the Fords and Holdens use the same components apart from the engines.
    Graham

The same goes for DTM which have a weight penalty system in place to even out the teams. Mercedes-Benz require a 20kg ballast, Audi don't require any and Opel have -20kg. BTCC is the same also.

It's a shame really, because as you say it's just for entertainment and the sport bit is becoming less and less important. But that's the result of people complaining of one car/driver dominating a series.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307

Precisely my point. I just didn't think it needed spelling up, but thank you, Jus.

Playlife, as entertaining as BTCC has been this year (and it has been), it's still a shadow of it's former self, whist V8 Sueprcars are phenomenally successful. V8s are nice and easy to bag out, but there's no denying their popularity.
    - Lincoln

I thought the race was the best for a few years. For some reason I always end up watching it, every year!

I wish there were other manufacturers though. There are so many cars that come with V8's (if thats what aus wants?????) It would be a good series.

Think:
    Fords
    Holdens
    BMW 5 series
    Merc...stripped out e-class
    Chyslers (those new big ugly things)

either that or a Power limited series.
    anything you want as long as its no more than 600hp

Love Foxtel, they're replaying it now. Woo hoo!
    - Lincoln

1000+ Posts

I thought the Bathurst race was awesome.

The 300C pacecar looked great, if only they could be included as well as German makes etc.

Mitsubishi no longer have a V8 (the Proudia 4.4L has been discontinued), but perhaps there could be a twin turbo or V8 option? Anyway, will never happen given AVESCO.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Fords and Holdens sux, that's why I drive a Peugeot.
    And thats why the majority thinks french car drivers are up themselves. Each to their own.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    I thought the Bathurst race was awesome.

The 300C pacecar looked great, if only they could be included as well as German makes etc.

Mitsubishi no longer have a V8 (the Proudia 4.4L has been discontinued), but perhaps there could be a twin turbo or V8 option? Anyway, will never happen given AVESCO.
    Surely a Mitsubishi V8 Super Car would have to be push rod and the car would be rear wheel drive, use a Ford 9 inch solid rear axle and a Hollinger Gearbox. That is the racing formula, an absolute dead end with no relevance to anything seen on the road.
    Graham

Having just watched the replay on Foxtel, wow, what a race!
    - Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by James504
    And thats why the majority thinks french car drivers are up themselves. Each to their own.
    Peugeots, Citroens, and Renaults are just the French version of Ford, Holden, and Mitsubishi, while Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW are the German version.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Surely a Mitsubishi V8 Super Car would have to be push rod and the car would be rear wheel drive, use a Ford 9 inch solid rear axle and a Hollinger Gearbox.
    Graham
    The rear ends aren't Ford, they are Harrop.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

There was a big push a while back for mitsubishi to get involved in V8 supercars. I'm fairly certain a prototype was even built. But, as expected, there was no real relevance as there were never any plans to create a road going V8.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    The rear ends aren't Ford, they are Harrop.
    The Commodes used to run a 9' Ford diff, what's the betting the Harrops aren't filled with Ford gears... I was also surprised that the diffs are locked solid.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information