Japanese GP ***spoilers***
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Japanese GP ***spoilers***

Free Practice 1 to start in a little over 15mins.

Advertisement

It is overcast but dry.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Lots of laps being run by everyone (except Ferrari and Trulli) as there may be rain in FP2.

Currently, it's
    1. de la Rosa
    2. Button +0.444
    3. Webber +0.999
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Drama already in FP1

Kimi pulls off with what looks like fire out the back of his McLaren.

Just confirmed by Norbert Haug: Engine failure for Kimi
    Last edited by PLAYLIFE; 7th October 2005 at 02:12 PM.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

If McLaren can't guarantee Kimi a reliable car, it increases the chances that he will jump at the $$$ and go to Ferrari in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug-a-lug
    If McLaren can't guarantee Kimi a reliable car, it increases the chances that he will jump at the $$$ and go to Ferrari in 2007.
    They are definitely making life hard for him with the number of failures he suffers. I read a rumour somewhere that he was offered, or was being offered, EU75million for 3 years from 2007-09.

Free Practice 2 begins, and currently the conditions are dry but the threat of rain still looms. Lots of people out on the track to get in before it rains.

FP1 Results:
    1. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes (M) 1:30.532 23
    2. Zonta Toyota (M) 1:31.075 + 0.543 16
    3. Button BAR-Honda (M) 1:32.043 + 1.511 18
    4. Coulthard Red Bull-Cosworth (M) 1:32.229 + 1.697 23
    5. Montoya McLaren-Mercedes (M) 1:32.321 + 1.789 9
    6. Alonso Renault (M) 1:32.370 + 1.838 22
    7. Fisichella Renault (M) 1:32.470 + 1.938 19
    8. Sato BAR-Honda (M) 1:32.791 + 2.259 20
    9. Webber Williams-BMW (M) 1:33.098 + 2.566 13
    10. Klien Red Bull-Cosworth (M) 1:33.139 + 2.607 19
    11. Massa Sauber-Petronas (M) 1:33.257 + 2.725 16
    12. Liuzzi Red Bull-Cosworth (M) 1:33.441 + 2.909 22
    13. Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes (M) 1:33.486 + 2.954 8
    14. Pizzonia Williams-BMW (M) 1:33.528 + 2.996 22
    15. Villeneuve Sauber-Petronas (M) 1:33.645 + 3.113 15
    16. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:33.700 + 3.168 9
    17. R.Schumacher Toyota (M) 1:33.735 + 3.203 10
    18. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:33.886 + 3.354 9
    19. Trulli Toyota (M) 1:34.535 + 4.003 11
    20. Yamamoto Jordan-Toyota (B) 1:36.295 + 5.763 23
    21. Albers Minardi-Cosworth (B) 1:37.153 + 6.621 16
    22. Karthikeyan Jordan-Toyota (B) 1:37.154 + 6.622 13
    23. Doornbos Minardi-Cosworth (B) 1:37.816 + 7.284 17
    24. Monteiro Jordan-Toyota (B) 1:38.250 + 7.718 17

Zonta also stopped on track with a technical problem. Webber had a suspension problem.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    They are definitely making life hard for him with the number of failures he suffers. I read a rumour somewhere that he was offered, or was being offered, EU75million for 3 years from 2007-09.
    I think he makes life hard for himself...

I'm not saying today's engine failure on Kimi's car was his fault, but the guy has no mechanical sympathy what so ever.

Have you actually WATCHED him drive on race cam?

Every other driver I've seen hits the brakes and then changes down gears. Quickly, but always controlled enough so you can always hear a slight change in revs between each cog...

Kimi on the other hand hit's his braking mark and at the very same moment slams it back through the gears as fast as is humanly possible... I know that engines have electronic controls but the engine sounds like it just goes further and further beyond redline...

He seems at his worst during qualifying when he is really pushing...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I think he makes life hard for himself...

I'm not saying today's engine failure on Kimi's car was his fault, but the guy has no mechanical sympathy what so ever.

Have you actually WATCHED him drive on race cam?

Every other driver I've seen hits the brakes and then changes down gears. Quickly, but always controlled enough so you can always hear a slight change in revs between each cog...

Kimi on the other hand hit's his braking mark and at the very same moment slams it back through the gears as fast as is humanly possible... I know that engines have electronic controls but the engine sounds like it just goes further and further beyond redline...

He seems at his worst during qualifying when he is really pushing...

I agree he is not a very sympathetic driver to his machinary at all, but quite a few failures this year have come after a handful of laps. Nurburgring he lost the race on the last lap by flat spotting his tyres, and he may have had a little hand in causing the engine to blow on the odd occasion.

But generally speaking, the McLaren-Mercedes combination has been very weak realiability wise for the past few years. Remember Hakkinen's awful 2001 season?

The McLaren-Mercedes integration again does not seem to be working that great, similar to the problems they experienced at the beginning of 2004 when they had 5 engine failures in 6 races.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Didnt people used to say the same thing about Sato, about driving the car too hard and suffering mechanical failure as a result. He's now crashing his car into others before it happens
    Spot me RS265 around Terrey Hills > Frenchs Forest > CBD > Zetland

Heavy rain at Suzuka for Saturday - it will be an interesting qualifying session which starts in a few hours time.

News, M.Schumacher crashes in FP3 but remained fastest with his first flying lap.

FP4, here is the timesheet, what a strange session!!

1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Half way through wet qualifying and it's:

1. Coulthard
    2. Webber
    3. Villeneuve
    4. Massa
    5. Karthikeyan

Trulli and Monteiro both spun...the former on his quali lap and the latter on his out lap! No time for either. Pizzonia also spun on his out lap but managed to continue.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Toyota claim pole at Honda home track!

The rain increased near the end of the session just as Fisichella completed his lap. Schumacher M was the first one with the really touch conditions, as were Kimi, JPM and Alonso.

Schumacher set his time on inters, Alonso and Kimi on full wets. Kimi will start from the back as he gets a 10-grid spot penalty

1. (13) R.Schumacher Toyota (M) 1:46.106
    2. (14) Button BAR-Honda (M) 1:46.141 + 0.035
    3. (16) Fisichella Renault (M) 1:46.276 + 0.170
    4. (12) Klien Red Bull-Cosworth (M) 1:46.464 + 0.358
    5. (11) Sato BAR-Honda (M) 1:46.841 + 0.735
    6. (1) Coulthard Red Bull-Cosworth (M) 1:46.892 + 0.786
    7. (4) Webber Williams-BMW (M) 1:47.233 + 1.127
    8. (9) Villeneuve Sauber-Petronas (M) 1:47.440 + 1.334
    9. (15) Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:48.248 + 2.142
    10. (10) Massa Sauber-Petronas (M) 1:48.278 + 2.172
    11. (6) Karthikeyan Jordan-Toyota (B) 1:48.718 + 2.612
    12. (2) Pizzonia Williams-BMW (M) 1:48.898 + 2.792
    13. (7) Albers Minardi-Cosworth (B) 1:50.843 + 4.737
    14. (17) M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:52.676 + 6.570
    15. (3) Doornbos Minardi-Cosworth (B) 1:52.894 + 6.788
    16. (18) Alonso Renault (M) 1:54.667 + 8.561
    17. (19) Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes (M) 2:02.309 + 16.203
    18. (5) Monteiro Jordan-Toyota (B) No Time
    19. (8) Trulli Toyota (M) No Time
    20. (20) Montoya McLaren-Mercedes (M) No Time
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

GO Ralf! U can do it
    Stupid V8 race tomorrow = delay telecast of F1

Administrator

I Just finished watching the umm...Channel 10 abridged Japanese GP and what a friggin race ...

Alonso and Raikkonen decided to have a personal competition as to who had the biggest umm...appendages by preforming overtaking manouvres that verged on suicidal and their tussle with Michael was almost an on track 'changing of the guard' and they each gave no ground...

The highlights for me:

Alonso drove like a man released following his securing of the championship and his 180mph move around the outside of Michael will be forever etched in my memory as one of the most committed pieces of Sennaesque driving I've EVER seen by anyone...

Fisi will be packing his Renault bags (if they weren't already) after a dismal performance in losing a 20 second lead in 10 laps...
    Why is he ALWAYS a second of Alonso's pace at the end of the GP?

Raikkonen must've have been pissing himself laughing inside his helmet when he saw Fisi's crapola version of 'defensive driving' and while Raikkonen's move around the outside looked pretty brave too, the deal was already done about 1km earlier when Fisi tried to block an imaginary McLaren into the chicane....

Atleast Renault have levelled the playing field in the constructors championship and the final race will be a screamer...Pity that Fisi will probably undo anything Alonso does do...

I'd honestly have to say that the 2005 Japanese GP is probably the best GP I've ever watched...

1000+ Posts

I agree Richard. That race was truly awe inspiring!

The Schumacher vs Alonso vs Kimi was just sensational, the driving involved was just without words to describe.

I too shall forever remember Alonso's pass of schumacher at 180mph so far on the outside as to almost be on the grass.

Kimi and Alonso were both driving so well, it was truly spectacular.

Fisi's attempt of 'defensive' driving was laughable (well I'm actually a McLaren man, would make a Renault fan close to suicidal I'd say). Kimi reeled him in like a dead fish attached a hook with an electronic magnet.

Not only did he totally screw up the chicane, but he was generous enough to do it twice in a row! on the last two laps! with Kimi right up his arse!

But there was so much action in the race, much of which we did'nt see since the front-runners were going absolutely hammer and tong. A race to remember.

I agree it was a nail biting race.
    Shame that Montoya got squeezed off the track early on,he could have added to the action as the race went on.

I agree, what an amazing race. Alonso around the outside of Schuey at 130R, and Kimi coming from Q17 to overtake on what was probably the last overtaking opportunity of the race. Sensational. Even Webber did well!
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Brilliant race, best of the season. A huge shame that Channel 10 chopped out 22 of the 53 laps because of "time restrictions" and not showing the after-race press conference - that was truly pathetic from C10 and I'll be contacting them with a complaint. They did exactly the same thing last year. We literally missed out on 40% of the race. The least they could do was show a full replay late at night.

As for the race, brilliant moves by Kimi and Alonso.

Alonso's move around the outside of 130R reminded me of Mansell's move around the outside of Berger at the daunting Peraltada corner at Mexico for P2 with a lap to run back in 1990 - amazing commiment and making it stick on the fastest and toughest corner on the circuit was eye boggling

Montoya threw it away, he had the car speed to get a podium and yet makes a silly error risking his car on the first lap when there was no real need. He is now 2 points behind Schumacher for P3 in the WDC and of course lost the lead in the WCC to Renault by the same margin.

Schumacher did well to hang on to P7 with obviously a slow car; he did some nice moves early on in the race, Villeneuve at the hairpin and DC into turn 1. Barrichello another disaster for him, I'm glad he is leaving Ferrari.

Fisichella was defending nothing as Martin said. That was poor driving from Fisi and it should have been an easy win. He has disappointed me no end this year.

Sato is a menace as rightly said by Jarno. The guy does nothing but ruin his and other people's races. I won't be sad if he doesn't turn up on the grid next year.

A good run for Webber and a nice result. The speed of the car still isn't there however it is improving. DC a good finish also.

Toyota were obviously doing another publicity 'Indy' stunt putting Ralfie boy on fumes to get pole at home in Japan to stick it to Honda...but obviously worked against them in the race. Button was slightly disappointing, I expected the BAR to be a lot stronger and possibly challenge Fisi for the win.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

I missed the Villeneuve-Montoya incident... can anyone else elaborate on what happened?

Great race... Kimi's effort (17th to 1st) is the stuff legends are made of.

Mind you.. everyone is waxing lyrical about Alonso taking Schumacer on the outside of the one of the most dangerous corners in the world.

When Webber tries to take Fisi around the outside of a slow hairpin everyone says he's an idiot!!

Two strong race performances from Webber to end the year on a positive note. Ironic that he beat Button for race pace, after Jensen said he'd prefer Barrichello as a teammate 'cause Webber would be too slow and not contribute enough to the team development

Administrator

I'd love to know where Alonso would've finished if he hadn't been forced to allow Klien to catch him and then repass him (an FIA stuff according to Brundle)

He had just caught and was about to have a crack at Michael and the Klien incident probably cost him about 5 seconds on the track (literally waiting for Klien) and maybe another 5 in repassing him...

If it hadn't been for that incident, I reckon Alonso would've cleared Michael and Kimi after the pit stop...

Fisi needs to learn from micheal in defensive driving. It really was a cracking race! Kimi did a prefect race, but I sort of missed out on first round of pit stop where kimi & schumacher got in front Alonso.
    So Crapyota did the Saturday Hero thing with Ralf (so they can be on the back page of the japanese newspaper)

The Alonso - Klien stuff-up is another example FIA ineptitude and a good reason why the manufactures are going to run their own series.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 306XT
    Fisi needs to learn from micheal in defensive driving. It really was a cracking race! Kimi did a prefect race, but I sort of missed out on first round of pit stop where kimi & schumacher got in front Alonso.
    So Crapyota did the Saturday Hero thing with Ralf (so they can be on the back page of the japanese newspaper)
    There was a big element of luck in that Pole position aswell, as Alonso, Montoya, Kimi and Schumacher all had to contend with a slight ummm...monsoon issue...

I doubt Ralf would've got anywhere near Alonso or Kimi the way they were going yesterday...they were like men possessed...

1000+ Posts

Yeah cant wait to get rid of Fisi... !!! ARGH!

Alonso had a huge lead before the "re-pass"...hmmm sure things would've been different!
    2 ahead in constructors!! go Renault go!!!

I missed the Villeneuve-Montoya incident... can anyone else elaborate on what happened?

Mind you.. everyone is waxing lyrical about Alonso taking Schumacer on the outside of the one of the most dangerous corners in the world.

When Webber tries to take Fisi around the outside of a slow hairpin everyone says he's an idiot!!

Two strong race performances from Webber to end the year on a positive note. Ironic that he beat Button for race pace, after Jensen said he'd prefer Barrichello as a teammate 'cause Webber would be too slow and not contribute enough to the team development

Hard to tell exactly what happened because the camera's missed the first part where apparently Jacques messed up the chicane and got a slow run out of it. From what I saw, Montoya tried passing around the outside of the last corner and simply drifted wide and into the wall, causing the SC to come out. It didn't look like JV swerved at him, nor did it look like they made contact.

JV was penalised 25 seconds for the 'move' which i think was undeserved, and Sato has since been DQ for punting Trulli out of the race.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

1000+ Posts

My understanting was that Montoya went on the outside of JV, but JV locked up or something and simply sailed to the edge of the track forcing Montoya into the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information