Damon Hill?????????
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Damon Hill?????????

The "F1 shots" thread reminded me of something that has always interested me.

Advertisement

And that is, "Why was Hill let go by Williams the year he won the F1 title, and as far as I know, never drove in a race again?"

It has always intrigued me.

Don't jump on me too hard if I have not got the facts 100% correct, it is a fair while ago.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by tasgill
    The "F1 shots" thread reminded me of something that has always interested me.

And that is, "Why was Hill let go by Williams the year he won the F1 title, and as far as I know, never drove in a race again?"

It has always intrigued me.

Don't jump on me too hard if I have not got the facts 100% correct, it is a fair while ago.

Terry
    Williams did let Hill go after he won the F1 title (1996), but Hill remained in F1 with Arrows in 1997 and he then move to Jordan for the final two years of his F1 career.
    Why did Williams let Hill go? Well he also did exactly the same with Mansell and Piquet after their championship winning years. Perhaps it's something to do with the contracts he was offering to Hill, Mansell and Piquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Le Hughes
    Williams did let Hill go after he won the F1 title (1996), but Hill remained in F1 with Arrows in 1997 and he then move to Jordan for the final two years of his F1 career.
    Why did Williams let Hill go? Well he also did exactly the same with Mansell and Piquet after their championship winning years. Perhaps it's something to do with the contracts he was offering to Hill, Mansell and Piquet.
    Hill was dumped by Williams for Villenueve.

Stupid part is the next year Hill lets Villenueve's Williams car to pass him in his Arrow because of the 'loyalty' to the old boss thing...
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    Hill was dumped by Williams for Villenueve.

Stupid part is the next year Hill lets Villenueve's Williams car to pass him in his Arrow because of the 'loyalty' to the old boss thing...

Well Villeneuve was already at Williams in 1996 when Hill was there.

I believe the reason why Damon did not stay on was because he was not happy with the contract Frank offered him.

I met Damon Hill briefly in 1994 and wasn't too impressed; quite arrogant in my opinion. On the other hand, Schumacher was very friendly, stopped had a quick chat and let me have a photo taken with him. I met both of them in 1994.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    Well Villeneuve was already at Williams in 1996 when Hill was there.
    Yes, I think Villeneuve was a lot quicker than Hill.

I believe the reason why Damon did not stay on was because he was not happy with the contract Frank offered him.
    Then he must be silly...Williams was the top runners in those days...if he's not happy with the contract I don't think another team would offer better terms....
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Where is Hill these days???

Rumour in the UK is that he is/was "The Stig" on Jeremy Clarksons "Top Gear" show.
    Reinforcing this is that he is apparently quite friendly with Clarkson and has been for some years and the airfield that the car tests are done on is about a half mile away from where Hill lives.
    FWIW, it's been claimed that there have been I think it's 3 "Stigs".

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

2cv

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Where is Hill these days???

Rumour in the UK is that he is/was "The Stig" on Jeremy Clarksons "Top Gear" show.
    Reinforcing this is that he is apparently quite friendly with Clarkson and has been for some years and the airfield that the car tests are done on is about a half mile away from where Hill lives.
    FWIW, it's been claimed that there have been I think it's 3 "Stigs".

Alan S
    That top gear is a top show - i love it

But 2 things i dont like about it are:

1. Their dislike of French cars
    2. The way the cars are always tested on their speed/handling merits (even if their turbo diesel)

Hill arrogant and Schumacher friendly???? They mustve swapped bodies for the day...

I always wonder who the Stig is and when he tested the Renault F1 car on the track, i suspected an ex-F1 driver at least on that day..
    Apparently the Stig "Sleeps upside down"...

Quote Originally Posted by 2cv
    That top gear is a top show - i love it

But 2 things i dont like about it are:

1. Their dislike of French cars
    2. The way the cars are always tested on their speed/handling merits (even if their turbo diesel)
    To me, Top Gear is just entertainment - I don't worry too much about using it for advice on buying a car.

Even if you watch the 'Stig', sometimes I feel there's a certain lack of consistency in his driving. A certain review involving a sports Mercedes and a Porsche reinforced this view - some elements of the driving in the Mercedes just looked sloppy, almost as if to exaggerate any difference between the two.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

According to the Poms, a couple of whom have had their pics taken with "Stig" there's also more than one "Stig"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I met Damon Hill briefly in 1994 and wasn't too impressed; quite arrogant in my opinion. On the other hand, Schumacher was very friendly, stopped had a quick chat and let me have a photo taken with him. I met both of them in 1994.
    I always knew Damon Hill was the evil one & not Micheal. Schumacher is made out to be the evil one but the pommy media at the time.

Fellow Frogger!

"Why was Hill let go by Williams the year he won the F1 title, and as far as I know, never drove in a race again?"
    I don't think it was a bad thing for either party... the williams was sooo good that Hill could have easily been a triple world champion by the end of 96 and I think Frank (and Damon) knew it.

My theory is that Damon thought he was then best cos he was now world champion and wanted more money, Frank knew he wasn't the best but had the best car so probly offered him less - Damon chose to go to another team that would pay premium $ for the number 1 plate - and how chuffed were all the arrows sponsors must have been...

Quote Originally Posted by 306XT
    I always knew Damon Hill was the evil one & not Micheal. Schumacher is made out to be the evil one but the pommy media at the time.
    what's with "at the time" !? They still hate his guts, but they are just a little more diplomatic about it since he spent a few years building character while the ferrari package was crap.

It depends on the "They", if you read F1 racing magazine (pommy mag, Aus edition). Its always micheal that & micheal can do that in their article (in a good way). They loves him there! At least from the time after the JV crash till this year when he stoped winning.

I will tell you who they dislike the most, its the other Schumacher

Didn't Clarkson ask Hill on the last or second last episode of this series when Hill was "The Star In The Reasonably Priced Car"?

Hill answered, with a smile I might add, No??

Or am i thinking of someone else?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Yea Hill was a guest on Topgear in "The Star In The Reasonably Priced Car"not long back,he did the quickest time until Mark Webber came on the show and blew Hills time away
    Ive Never rated Hill as a race driver!!

That's important.

I wonder how he'd rate you with fish?

ed ge

Administrator

mmmm....tartare sauce

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    That's important.

I wonder how he'd rate you with fish?

ed ge
    LOL fish and chips.

I think Personally Hill was a decent driver, I also think schumacher is a lot more hype then driver, and this season has made me believe that even more so. It also makes me think that if Hill, or another driver had been put in the Ferrari then we may well have seen a diffrent 7 times world champion. Personally I don't think either Damon Hill, or Mochael Schumacer are as good as they are/were portrayed to be, and with proper competition i do beleive that MS would not have won his 7 titles, I mean, were's the likes of Piquet, Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc in the shoe makers career ??

Quote Originally Posted by 306XT

On RPM a few weeks ago Bill Woods was talking to a BAR engineer who had worked with both Hill and Schumacher. Even said it's the opposite to what the media portrays, Hill is the little stuck up rich kid and Schumacher is the nice guy. Straight from the horses mouth.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    I think Personally Hill was a decent driver, I also think schumacher is a lot more hype then driver, and this season has made me believe that even more so. It also makes me think that if Hill, or another driver had been put in the Ferrari then we may well have seen a diffrent 7 times world champion. Personally I don't think either Damon Hill, or Mochael Schumacer are as good as they are/were portrayed to be, and with proper competition i do beleive that MS would not have won his 7 titles, I mean, were's the likes of Piquet, Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc in the shoe makers career ??

You can't blame Schumacher for having a lack of competition.

You really have to look back at his career 91-93 when those drivers were around. Even then he was tainted as being the next new WDC, from as early as 1992. Some of his performances were incredible in the Benetton.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

maybe but there was a time where Damon Hill at one stage was argueably seen in the same light. Also argueably MS has allways been in whats been rated as the best car, now you put him in an under par car this season, and you've seen whats happend
    Last edited by orestes; 2nd October 2005 at 02:20 PM.

A stuck up little rich kid in motor racing? no way, your having me on!

At least that sulrk won the world driver's championship and no amount of bad mouthing, sulking or what if's will remove his considerable personal effort and skill from that achievement.

ed ge

not winning races at no racing circuit near or far from you!

If Schumacher is not that good then really how good is Ruben, taking into account Ferrari bias towards Micheal.

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    A stuck up little rich kid in motor racing? no way, your having me on!

That is what the BAR engineer said in his interview. I think he'd be in a better position to judge their personalities than either one of us.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    maybe but there was a time where Damon Hill at one stage was argueably seen in the same light. Also argueably MS has allways been in whats been rated as the best car, now you put him in an under par car this season, and you've seen whats happend

Hill was never seen in the same light. He had a big reputation, but as far as I know, that's all it was. I would never have considered Hill part or present as a 'great driver'. Good yes, great no way. There's only a handful of performances he ever had which goes to show that he was nothing special, but still a decent driver.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information