A1 GP **spoiler**
  • Help

Default A1 GP **spoiler**

Not sure if anyone's taking any interest in the new series. But the first race is on this weekend at Brands Hatch. Will be televised on Fox Sports on Sunday night (LIVE!!) from 10pm eastern time.

From the first practice session that was run in the dry Scott Speed in the US car seems to be the man to beat. Wil Power was 6th in the Team Australia entry. However in the 2nd practice that was run (which happend to be wet) Christian Jones ran (cos his old man's picking up the bills presumably) and languished around in 22nd place. Behind such motorsport powerhouse nations as pakistan & switzerland.

Advertisement

Personally I love the Brands Hatch circuit - particularly the first bend.

Bring it on I say - The Australian round is on at Eastern Creek on November 6.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Fellow Frogger!

Default Team Australia; Who is Driving?

I am confused.

This is an extract from F1 Central regarding practice!

Brands Hatch day one
    The A1 Grand Prix Championship of Nations got underway on Friday with two practice sessions at Brands Hatch.

The opening day of the British round was incident packed with a number of red flags interrupting the running.

There were three stoppages in the morning run, the biggest of which involved Karun Chandhok of Team India who had an airborne shunt wit the Team Netherlands entry of Jos Verstappen.

In the afternoon five more red flags were to follow with a series of further shunts and off.

The session finally came to an end after just 42 minutes had been run when Christian Jones put the Team Australia entry in a barrier at the Druid hairpin.[U]

On the track the tines was close with Team USA’s Scott Speed topping the morning session and Team Brazil’s Nelson Piquet Jr doing the same in the afternoon.

Overall it was Speed who finished the day fastest, Piquet was second, Nicolas Lapierre (Team France) third, and Robbie Kerr (Team Britain) fourth.

Thought that was a great 1st race.

may be history in the making here.

Well done to Nelson PQ Jnr taking the win for race one for Team Brazil.

Great to See Will Power take 4th place for Australia. He was bawked alittle bit on turn1 by teamNZ, if he was a little more agressive, he could have taken 3rd place at the start, not sure if he could have held it though, NZ had a massive lead on Australia.

Seems like it could be a good series.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Thank god I stayed up at watched the feature race.

WILL POWER lead the race for several Laps for Australia, but finally finished in 2nd place behind Nelson Piquet Jnr!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some seriously cool and exciting racing
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

I'm with ya there. That was a great race - I hope that the whole series can be that good. There was action aplenty and people carving each other up lap after lap.

How good was Piquet Jr though? That was some seriously impressive speed he was showing.

If your in Sydney get along to Eastern Creek on November 4-6. I doubt you'd be disappointed!

Now I've got an hour and a half till the F1's start
    Last edited by gti138; 26th September 2005 at 02:23 AM.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Dont know about anyone else but I found the A1 race more entertaining than the F1's last night. The race had everything that the F1's didnt.

The footage from the Lebanon teams car when he did that barrel roll was pretty damn spectacular. Watch for that as "play of the day" on sports tonight.

yeah I agree. That was a pretty freaky roll. I can't believe he put his hands up out of the cockpit onto his head!!

What an awsome drive by WIll Power though. He is agressive without being dangerously aggressive and performs well under pressure.

I fear some A1 drivers may be snapped up soon by F1.

Nelson Piquet drive so well though, especially considering his age (born 1985??) he is incredible. WIll Power is young too from memory he was born in '79 or '80. I met him a couple of years ago.

Both those boys will go a long way.

interesting discussion about the 1st race of the season going on here...

http://www.crashforum.net/Forum24-1.aspx
    Last edited by n b j; 26th September 2005 at 05:09 PM.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    interesting discussion about the 1st race of the season going on here...

http://www.crashforum.net/Forum24-1.aspx
    Great work finding that forum - I've been struggling to find any thing going on with A1 apart from the official site which seems to be really hard to navigate and get any useful information out of.

Even here there doesnt seem to be much interest. Maybe if it was a Renault or Peugeot engine in the back of the thing it would be different.

To bring this to a french connection - the french car finished 2nd in the morning sprint race!

yeah it's a good forum (not as good as AF of course , but for motorsport nuts, it's great). The entire 'crashforum' has only been online about a month or 2 and it's already very active. Especially the more popluar forums like F1.

Yeah France is a team to be reconned with, currently 5th in the world standings and have a 3 point lead on Britan which is one of the so called 'top teams':

results after round 1 are as follows:

1 Brazil – 21 points (10 points for 1st in race 1, 10 points for 1st in feature race and 1 bonus point for fastest lap)
    2 Australia – 16 points
    3 New Zealand – 15 points
    4 Mexico – 13 points
    5 France – 9 points
    6 Great Britan – 6 points
    7 Malaysia – 6 points
    8 South Africa – 5 points
    9 Netherlands – 4 points
    10 Pakistan – 4 points
    11 Japan – 3 points
    12 Portugal – 3 points
    13 Canada – 2 points
    14 Switzerland – 2 points
    15 Germany – 1 point
    16 Ireland – 1 point
    17 Austria – 0 points
    18 China – 0 points
    19 Cheq Republic – 0 Points
    20 Indonesia – 0 points
    21 India – 0 points
    22 Italy – 0 points
    23 Lebanon – 0points
    24 Russia – 0points
    25 USA – 0 points
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

The crowd turn-out was pretty poor, and from the people I've talked to overseas who had tv coverage, they said that the quality of the production was very poor, with not much if any valid timing etc. Hopefully that will be improved.

It was a great drive by Halliday and Verstappen in race 2, starting from the pitlane and back of the grid respectively and finishing in P4 and P7 from memory.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    The crowd turn-out was pretty poor, and from the people I've talked to overseas who had tv coverage, they said that the quality of the production was very poor,
    I dunno there were 80,000 people there and the hill heading into paddock hill bend looked pretty full to me.

The TV coverage was pretty good I thought. They struggled a bit in the hour gap between the two races but when it's a new series you can expect some issues first up.

It certainly was as good as F1 has been lately. The difference being was that they caught the major incident of the race from several different camera angles - unlike Pizzonia v Montoya at Spa a couple of weeks ago....

A1 was looking so good after the first race and now has turned into a total farce. We must have a better driver than Christian Jones that can help Australia's second position in the championship.

Christian Jones is 3 seconds off the pace!!!!! Guess it will show how crap he is and never get a drive after this.

"I own the Franchise therefore my son must race"
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by parry
    A1 was looking so good after the first race and now has turned into a total farce. We must have a better driver than Christian Jones that can help Australia's second position in the championship.

Christian Jones is 3 seconds off the pace!!!!! Guess it will show how crap he is and never get a drive after this.

"I own the Franchise therefore my son must race"
    Christian jones is not Even in our top 10 drivers!!

okay, so Will Power copped the shits with alan jones (who wouldn't)

Will Davision was in bathurst

Courtney was in Bathurst.

how about Barton Mawer (as good as will power) or James Manderson or even Andre Morgan!!? I mean anyone from our top5, HELL EVEN OUR TOP TEN drivers will do.

WHY OH WHY OH WHY IS CHRISTIAN JONES DRIVING FOR OUR NATION!!??

of course we know the answer to that, I just wish someone could sack Alan Jones, he's turned our entry into an absolute joke. Surely he can see that, something has to be done.

so much for our strong start to the season.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Zen

What's the go with Will Power? I knew Davison was driving at Bathurst and I thought the deal was that Jones would drive the Asian rounds of the A1GP so I was fully expecting Power to drive.

After seeing Christian's performance, hell, most of the racers on AF would have probably done a better job. Gutless performance in my books.

I just need a Chinese passport and I'd be a shoe in for their A1GP seat. Nice racing from Robbie Kerr in the second race.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Havent seen the race yet - a disadvantage of not having foxtel I suppose - The race was on too late for me to crash my parents house to watch - I'll just wait for the tape.

Looks like a good result in the feature race for Will Davidson coming through to finish 6th.

The sprint race however wasnt so good - Will was taken out in a first corner incident with Mexico and Pakistan

Eastern Creek's in a couple of weeks! You Sydneysiders are lucky!!

Yeah atleast Jones wasn't driving this weekend.

I saw the sprintrace on TV, I turned on at lap 3 and thought WTF! Where is Australia!?

I guess seeing that we finished 6th in feature race and NZ and some other front runners DNF, it will mean we can make up some points.

Not long now till Eastern Creek I'm looking forward to it

It's so cheap, you may as well fly or drive up to sydney for it, the tickets are very very well priced.

On anothe rnon-A1 note...How was the Indy.. Will Power getting taken out by his team mate!!!
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Thread Information