Kimmi Better than Ferdi?
  • Help
    2cv

Default Kimmi Better than Ferdi?

What do u guys think of Ron Dennis declaring that even though Alonso will probably win the championship, Kimmi is the best driver in the world?

My take is that Ron is a very, very clever individual that has been in F1 for a very long time and is just playing at Alonso to put him off his game

Kimmi and Alonso are very close in age and their careers are still beginning. My opinion of them both is that they are very even at the moment, to say that one is better and therefore will be more succesfull than the other is at this point in time mere speculation. Both will be World Champions at one stage, how many times will just depend on who's driving what at which particular time

Kimmi's display at Monza coming from 11th to finish an unlucky 4th was testament of the talent he is. But to use that as the base of the superiority of Kimmi is ridiculous. The fact is, to Alonso's credit (and Renault reliability!) Alonso rarely has had to recover from a bad position this year; qualifying or race. But when he has had to.....qualified 13th due to poor weather in Australia and Stormed through the field to finish 3rd. And lets not forget Kimmi is driving the car with the superior speed

...and who can forget Monaco with Fernando showing his class to finish 4th (or was it 5th?) on desintegrating Michelins?

A mark of a champion and well deserved World Champion

Advertisement

I think that Kimi has definately had the better (faster) car this year. He has been let down by reliability problems. It's like he's had an unlucky star following him. By rights he should be the world champion this year. Ferdi has however, been more dependable and has had a more reliable car.

I dont think it comes down to who's the better driver in this case. They are both very very good. It really comes down to the car. When you get both of them in the one team (as Mclaren had with Prost & Senna or Williams with Mansell & Piquet) you can generally then tell who's the better driver.

Maybe they should both hop in to their respective countries teams in A1GP this year
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Kimi's Italian GP wasn't all bad luck as he spun out exiting the Roggia chicane, possibly denying him of a 3rd place.

I'd say Kimi has the raw speed, but Alonso seems to be more consistant this year. Taking a look back at the start of last year, Alonso made so many mistakes and so has developed very well to get into his current form.

Not much between the two I'd say - having said that, raw speed doesn't win you championships, consistancy and race craft will. I'd say Alonso is the better in the latter.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Fellow Frogger!

isn't it ironic that Kimi almost won the 2003 title with a single race victory and a bag full of second places??

- and in my opinion he did not nearly deserve that championship... (who thought of this stupid 8 points for second place crap anyway)

My take is that Ron is a very, very clever individual that has been in F1 for a very long time and is just playing at Alonso to put him off his game
    yeh well I dont think Ron's sledging of ferrari and schumacher have achieved alot in the last few years it's not like it's new tricks for him. He must be intelligent enough and pretty good at his job but I think he is a wind-up merchant (that's ok as long as people take his opinions not as fact) and he sure as hell winds me the wrong way!!

By rights he should be the world champion this year
    just what the bloomin heck does that mean?! by what rights, oh i guess birth right from bloodline or astrological say so? I am damn sick of hearing this kind of OPINION stated like a fact, and it just seems absurd to me. Does he deserve to take on DC's nick name: coulda-woulda-should-kimi although I like to refer to him as kimi wreckinen.

By rights Mika also deserved to be champion in 2000? and Damon in 1994? Prost in 1990? Senna in 1989? Mansel in 1986? ???

Putting 2 top drivers in the same team can tell you which one works better with that group of people And it should be obvious to anyone who follows F1 that getting the most from your team is highly rewarded skill for a driver.

so my 3 cents:
    - I think that Kimi has qualified more strongly this year - but Alonso has performed more constently over a race distances. of course the engine rules have affected some race performaces but the car has broken or kimi broke it.

- Renault have had much weaker strategies but than mclaren but the luck has kept them infront

- Alonso's 13th to 3rd effort in Melbourne was better than Kimi's 11th to 4th - mathematically, and Alonso didn't even spin out or shred his tyres. okay maybe we can blame the car/setup for the tyres a little bit (but I think kimi is the least mechanically sympathetic driver in F1 at the moment).

If you want to split hairs maybe there is evidence Kimi has been a better driver than Alonso this year, but also you'd have difficulty convincing me that Alonso has not prooved to be the better F1 competitor

----
    audio quiz, who sung:
    GO SPECULATOR, GOOOO!!!
    Last edited by Billy; 10th September 2005 at 05:09 PM.

Administrator

Kimi makes his own bad luck and unreliability.

Watch him do a couple of laps on race cam and he is the only driver I've seen that when approaching a corner seems to simply down change as quick as is humanly and mechanically possible.

You cant even hear the engine changing revs.

It's sounds as though the engine is just bouncing further and further beyond the limiter with each downchange...

Regardless of electronic limiters and controls, it is still made up of mechanical components. It aint a friggin playstation game...

Out of interest, how many engines has Montoya killed this year?

I would like Fernando to win the championship on this and next year.

It is sort of rags to riches story since he started his F1 career in Minardi.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Kimi makes his own bad luck and unreliability.

Watch him do a couple of laps on race cam and he is the only driver I've seen that when approaching a corner seems to simply down change as quick as is humanly and mechanically possible.

You cant even hear the engine changing revs.

It's sounds as though the engine is just bouncing further and further beyond the limiter with each downchange...

Regardless of electronic limiters and controls, it is still made up of mechanical components. It aint a friggin playstation game...

Out of interest, how many engines has Montoya killed this year?
    Not sure on the number of engines each has killed, but Montoya had his engine changed on Friday without even having completed a lap! Apparently they found a problem with his new engine and so replaced it before he ventured out, meaning he wouldn't be penalised 10 grid spots.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

1000+ Posts

no penalty??? thats odd, i thought each engine had to complete 2 races?

Kimi vs Alonso...
    yeah being consistent isnt really always a "good show" so when you have a good afternoon you normally would appear to be a lot more talented...

I'd say Alonso, he makes a LOT less mistakes...!

Alonso vs Raikkonen, Raikkonen in my opinion is the faster driver, Alonso however seems to be the better tactician, and is better at getting more out of a slower car. I would think if you put Raikkonen in the Renault he wouldn't be able to get as much out of it as the Mclaren, i.e. Kimi really needs the faster car, where Alonso can get more out of a slower car

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    no penalty??? thats odd, i thought each engine had to complete 2 races?

Yeh no penalty because he hadn't actually used the engine before the problem was discovered. Had he have driven even an installation lap, then he would have been penalised.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

F1 1982 World Champion Keke Rosberg said "Alonso will be great champion. He suits very well for the role of World Champion, he is good at interviews, can act ouside the track and he is very consistent. He drives smart."

I think Keke taunted Kimi with that...

Default No Bias Here!

I present a view that is totally without bias:

Alonso is an awesome champion.

The fact that he is:

1. Spanish
    2. Fernando
    3. a Renault driver

has no bearing on my decision

Thread Information