Italian GP ****Spoiler****
  • Help

Default Italian GP ****Spoiler****

The Italian Grand Prix has generated some of the greatest races in the history of the sport, and it has also seen appalling tragedy. Italy's only world champion Alberto Ascari was killed while testing a Ferrari sportscar at the track in 1955, while six years later Wolfgang Von Trips perished when his Ferrari was pitched into the crowd after a collision. Eight spectators also died.
    The famous old banking was abandoned in the Sixties for safety reasons and the race became a flat out blast around the road section of the track. 1971 produced one of the greatest contests in grand prix history. Peter Gethin triumphed by 0.1s in a five-car slipstreaming battle.

As the home of Ferrari-supporting tifosi, Monza is always a bit special. The crowd only have eyes for the red cars and the men driving them; everyone else is the enemy. The hometown heroes have been at the heart of some of the track's greatest days. Jody Scheckter won the world championship there in 1979 for the Prancing Horse while 1988 saw Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto score an emotional 1-2 just days after the death of founder Enzo Ferrari.

Friday first practice times from Monza

1. DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m20.201s

2. WEBBER Williams 1m21.816s

3. RAIKKONEN McLaren 1m21.842s

4. MONTOYA McLaren 1m22.078s

5. HEIDFELD Williams 1m22.351s

6. ZONTA Toyota 1m22.567s

7. SATO BAR 1m22.577s

8. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m23.739s

9. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m24.001s

10. LIUZZI Red Bull 1m24.166s

11. BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m24.196s

12. MONTEIRO Jordan 1m25.134s

13. KIESA Jordan 1m25.374s

14. ALBERS Minardi 1m25.497s

15. KARTHIKEYAN Jordan 1m25.611s

16. DOORNBOS Minardi 1m25.853s

17. TOCCACELO Minardi 1m25.896s

18. VILLENEUVE Sauber no time

19. BUTTON BAR no time

20. MASSA Sauber no time

21. KLIEN Red Bull no time

22. ALONSO Renault no time

23. FISICHELLA Renault no time

24. TRULLI Toyota no time

Advertisement

25. R.SCHUMACHER Toyota no time

DE LA ROSA Guys way a head of them

Practice 2 was also interesting... with Zonta getting up there in the Toyota (It's amazing how much quicker the friday drivers can go when they dont have the same concerns about engine life as the other guys!)

The Mclarens look to be the quickest of the bunch so far with supprisingly the Williams' guys not lacking in pace.. Maybe their aerodynamics problems they have been plagued with arent a problem when they dont have to run much wing!

Schumi dropped his bundle at the parabolica so that may unsettle his weekend. The Renaults seem to be struggling a bit in 9th & 10th respectively.

I'd like to see Alonso win but if Raikkonen wins then it will keep the championship interesting!

I cant wait for Sunday night!

edit: btw is it just me or is this forum not visible from the front page?
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    The Renaults seem to be struggling a bit in 9th & 10th respectively.
    It is usual that Renault don't show their speed (second fast pace after McL) on Friday and they tend to save the engine. After all what Alonso needs now to nail the title is just being reliable 3rd...

Quote Originally Posted by Pate
    It is usual that Renault don't show their speed (second fast pace after McL) on Friday and they tend to save the engine. After all what Alonso needs now to nail the title is just being reliable 3rd...
    True!

I noticed that Heidfeld is out for the rest of the weekend as a result of a testing crash he had last week. Pizzonia is now in for Williams so we'll see how he goes!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault qualifying

Kimmi has had to change his engine and will start from P10. Fisichello had a poor start to his lap, but may launch himself up the grid at the start. Alonso in P2 on the dirty side of the track next to Montoya. Can I look at the first corner?

Channel 10 telecast time: Sunday, September 4, AEST11.00pm

Drivers Champ looking a little better, Man Champ looking worse.

1. MONTOYA McLaren 1m21.054s

2. ALONSO Renault 1m21.319s

3. BUTTON BAR 1m21.369s

4. SATO BAR 1m21.477s

5. TRULLI Toyota 1m21.640s

6. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m21.721s

7. BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m21.962s

8. FISICHELLA Renault 1m22.068s

9. R.SCHUMACHER Toyota 1m22.266s

10. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m22.304s

11. RAIKKONEN McLaren 1m20.878s*

12. VILLENEUVE Sauber 1m22.356s

13. KLIEN Red Bull 1m22.532s

14. WEBBER Williams 1m22.560s

15. MASSA Sauber 1m23.060s

16. PIZZONIA Williams 1m23.291s

17. MONTEIRO Jordan 1m24.666s

18. DOORNBOS Minardi 1m24.904s

19. KARTHIKEYAN Jordan 1m25.859s

20. ALBERS Minardi 1m26.964s

* forfeited 10 grid places due to engine change

Out of curiousity, isn't FIA still applying the 7% rule (qualifiers must be within 7% of fastest time) ?

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Out of curiousity, isn't FIA still applying the 7% rule (qualifiers must be within 7% of fastest time) ?
    Not with the 1 lap qualifying system. I believe that the 107% rule went out when they stopped the 1 hour long (12 lap) qualifying sessions.

Otherwise if you went off etc (as schumacher did in Istanbul) then you wouldnt be able to start the race

Looking forward to the race tonight. I love the fast circuits.

Arrogance was penalized. McLaren thought that they are so overwhelmingly fast that they can drive with any fuel load imaginable.

They didn't test their tyre wear with full load -> tyres can't handle that load.

I am glad that Alonso will win the championship since I can't stand Ron Dennis or Kimi Raikkonen or Norbert Haug.

You can tell awful lot of person by his behaviour when he is drunk. Ron Dennis is just plain arrogant, I have never heard about his behaviour when he has been drunk but I have seen Kimi's behaviour when he has been drunk and according to story Norbert did hit the limousine driver in Brazilia when they got lost in big city (Haug was drunk but it is no excuse).

I don't have anything against anyone else in Formula 1.

Hopefully Renault will get the constructors championship too!

PS. when I drink I can still behave...

Default and the results are....

Great race from the sound of it... Cant wait to watch the "replay" on ch 10

The McLarens appeared to have tyre issues with Raikkonen having to pit for a new rear tyre after his de-laminated. Montoya had an issue with only 4 laps to go but held on to take the win from Alonso.

However, this surely must mean that Alsonso's title is just about in the bag now! In theory he can clinch the title at Spa next week.

Tough race for Webber who had an issue on the first lap and while running with a decent pace & good terminal speeds, just couldnt get his way thru the traffic as seems to be the case with F1's this year.

Good to see all the cars getting to the line in a race that is tough on engines.

I love these "old school" tracks that provide something different to all the standards these days. Bring on Spa and Eau Rouge!

The top 10
    1. Montoya
    2. Alonso
    3. Fisichella
    4. Raikkonen
    5. Trulli
    6. R. Schumacher
    7. Pizzonia (subbing for Heidfeld)
    8. Button
    9. Massa
    10. M. Schumacher

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Alonso's second place was well deserved.

He seems to have a cool, mature head in these conditions, realising that winning the drivers championship will carry more respect than the number of actual outright race wins.

As for the manufacturers championship, I think the Renault team will require more consistency (podium finishes) from Fisichella in the last 4 races. It was encouraging to see him finish 3rd.

Overall, the reliability of the Renault cars & team strategies seem to be a winning blend at the moment.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Thread Information