Turkish Gp ***spoiler***
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Turkish Gp ***spoiler***

[B]Alonso and Fisichello recorded P7 & P8 in Friday's practice for Sunday's GP
    - Round 14

Channel 10 delayed telecast Sunday Aug 21 @ 10:30pm (AEST)

Advertisement

Fernando Alonso (P7): “It was good that we were able to run more laps than normal today, after saving the engine a bit in Hungary, so that I could really get to know the track properly. I felt very comfortable out there, and really enjoyed the sessions today: the circuit is challenging, with blind entries to corners at turns 1 and 3, plus a really unusual, difficult corner at Turn 8, which is different to any other track. The car felt quite good today, with a nice balance but like everybody else, we were lacking some overall grip on the new, dirty surface. Even so, I am quite pleased with our work today.”

After poor performances in Hungary, both Renault drivers will have to qualify early, which is likely to be detrimental to their times. Both McLaren drivers in front at the moment.

Bugger.

Another retirement for Webber
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

LAP 42 now, could it be a 1,2 victory for McLaren?
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Congrats KIMI!
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

I am glad that Alonso made it to 2nd. I have nothing against Montoya but I dislike McLaren.
    Way to go Fernando!

Yeah will be interesting to see if anything happens to Monteiro.

For a lapped car to run into the back of the 2nd placed car is not acceptable and it cost montoya 2nd.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    Yeah will be interesting to see if anything happens to Monteiro.

For a lapped car to run into the back of the 2nd placed car is not acceptable and it cost montoya 2nd.
    I don't think Montoya is blameless in that incident...

Whilst I fully understand that it is the responsibility of the driver being lapped to make it easier for the faster driver to pass it should be remembered that Montoya sailed past and then (presumably to maximise his cornering speed) chopped infront of Monteiro whilst at the same moment slamming on the picks.

Monteiro would've instantly lost nearly all front downforce which would have severely reduced his braking ability...

I don't think Monteiro should've realistically expected Montoya to cut back infront of him so close to what is a very heavy braking zone. I don't think there are many drivers that would have avoided that contact unless they have the ability to defy the laws of physics...

Be interesting to see the incident from another angle...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I don't think Montoya is blameless in that incident...

Whilst I fully understand that it is the responsibility of the driver being lapped to make it easier for the faster driver to pass it should be remembered that Montoya sailed past and then (presumably to maximise his cornering speed) chopped infront of Monteiro whilst at the same moment slamming on the picks.

Monteiro would've instantly lost nearly all front downforce which would have severely reduced his braking ability...

I don't think Monteiro should've realistically expected Montoya to cut back infront of him so close to what is a very heavy braking zone. I don't think there are many drivers that would have avoided that contact unless they have the ability to defy the laws of physics...

Be interesting to see the incident from another angle...
    yeah I agree with that, it would have been near impossible for any driver to avoid running into the back of Montoya in that situation, but I also think the Jordan should have moved out of the racing line, especially on the 2nd or 3rd last lap of the race to let 2nd place through.

Either way it was good race but Williams have a lot of questions to be answered.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

What's the story behind Shuey's and Webber's contact? I didn't catch the race, just heard the news "Webber takes out Schumacher" and then someone told me they heard Webber reckon it was Schuey's fault. ????
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    What's the story behind Shuey's and Webber's contact? I didn't catch the race, just heard the news "Webber takes out Schumacher" and then someone told me they heard Webber reckon it was Schuey's fault. ????
    I think it was ultimately just a racing incident.

Webber was in a much faster car at the time, but due to an ongoing tyre problem, was behind Schumacher.

The came into the main braking zone at the end of the back straight and Webber got well and truly alongside Schu under brakes. Schu obviously didn't see him (in the usual Schu manner) and proceeded to pitch his car at the apex...where Webber was...

Webber tried to hit the picks mid corner to avoid Schu but his front wheels collected Schu's sidepod (just behind the front suspension).

If Webber had just kept the boot in and gone through the corner normally (instead of trying to avoid a contact) there would be no debate as to who was at fault...

Michael was interviewed in the pits later in the race and said he saw Webber close behind him, then lost sight of him. Not sure why he didn't suspect Webber was alongside him, but in my opinion Schuey is a fairly poor overtakee and tries to intimidate people from trying. Webber is not one to be intimidated however. Schumacher really had nothing to lose from being overtaken as it was not for position!

I just see it as a racing incident - Both MSC & Webber are racers and dont tend to give an inch to anyone.

However, I thought the race was one of the best this year - lots of action and turn 8 - WOW!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

I can safely tell you that for the amount of time Montiero was on the brakes (locked up too!) that he well and trully missed his braking point...
    So whilst Montoya had every right to get back on the race line, Tiego made a mistake. Its not the first time he's locked up into that turn as he showed on saturday practice.
    I can't see any blame or even a finger wave to JPM for that at all, but that's my racers POV ....

The race itself was VERY entertainig lots of passing, lots of mistakes, and the boys were not afraid to throw the cars round!! I thought Trully had a smart race, and Kimi was just untouchable.
    The Mc's are the fater cars ATM, but would love to FA win the drivers championship and the manufacturers go to the Mc's....
    As for Webber, well I think Williams are going down the path of Mclaren 2 seasons ago.... also did you see the mad scramble by the Michelin boys to check all the Right rears as each car came into the pits... there's something not 100% about those tyres I tells ya... lol. - Chris
    ... ptui!

ta for the info guys

Mike, did you tape it by any chance? If so may I pleaaassee borrow the tape??

- 306 gti6

ta for the info guys

Mike, did you tape it by any chance? If so may I pleaaassee borrow the tape??
    Sorry Jude - I didnt tape it. Otherwise I would have gladly lent you the tape...

We really need to catch up for that one day soon!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

1000+ Posts

I'm thinking the McCars have a large advantage over Renault with the 3rd car they run early in the weekend.

That gives them so much more time/data/resources to dial their cars into EVERY track every time.

I'm thinking if they didnt run so much on Thur/Fri (do they run on a thur?) then it'd be a different story, or just a lot closer.

Its going to be a nail biter for the Constructors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Sorry Jude - I didnt tape it. Otherwise I would have gladly lent you the tape...

We really need to catch up for that one day soon!
    Mike, how about tomorrow or thursday after work? I'm free anytime after 5pm. Name the watering hole and I'll be there!

- 306 gti6

Mike, how about tomorrow or thursday after work? I'm free anytime after 5pm. Name the watering hole and I'll be there!
    It will depend - I'm currently not working down there as it's pretty quiet and there are problems elsewhere (holden). If im there Thursday I'll give you a call!

Thread Information